• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer 12 bolt beadlock ?

ford381stroker

I purchased a lot of 80 wheels and tires (12 bolt beadlocks) from the govliquidation auction. Some of the lugs and nuts will have to be torched off due to rust. Does anyone know where I can get replacement lugs and nuts? I work for an auto parts store and we don't have anything close in our catalogs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ClarkeF

CCATLETT1984 said:
your local hummer dealer can get them, same rims as the H1 alpha trucks.
Actually that's not the case. They are the same as the (early or late) 12-bolt wheels sold - depending on whether there is the centering hole (indicating the uprated carrying capacity), but the Alpha is a two-piece 17" aluminum wheel, not a 16.5" two-piece steel wheel.

The wheel-half studs and nuts are available from any Hummer dealer - or any of the specialty Hummer parts places like bluehummer.com and lynchhummer.com. You might have better luck with them - both are stand-up operations.

Cheers,

Clarke

ClarkeF

Well Alpha's are only a single year of production - 2006, last year they made the H1. The Alpha had two-piece aluminum wheels, in a different color than the earlier 2-piece aluminum wheels which came out in 2001. Prior to 2001, your options were 17" one-piece aluminum and 16.5" two-piece steel (with the centering hole). Prior to that, the option was 16.5" one-piece aluminum wheels, with an option for 2-piece steel (early version without the centering hole and less carrying capacity, or one-piece steel.

Basically 2-piece aluminum's from 2001 on - with the Alpha's specific part (2006 only) in different trim. Prior to 2001, your options were one piece 16.5" steel, two-piece 16.5" steel, and one-piece 17" aluminum.

Cheers,

Clarke

aboonski

five point nuts

I recently acquired a set of five 12-bolt H1 rims. Two of them had six-point nuts (12 ea) and the other three rims had some kind of five-sided nuts that I have never seen before. I wanted to pull the rims apart today because they are full of water from Tropical Storm Fay; unfortunately, I did not have a five-point impact socket to do so. Also found that one of the huge O-Rings that seals the two pieces together had been pinched so I need to replace that. Can anyone tell me where to obtain one of those five-point impact sockets and also need a source for the O-Ring too.

While I am on here I wanted to mention that one rim had pretty rusty lugs so I used a 1/2" x 20 dye to clean the threads before removing the nuts. I saw where some guy had broken lugs on his 12 bolt rims and needed replacements. I wanted to avoid that so cleaning the threads really did the trick for me. I am hoping I did not screw anything up by doing this! The lugs are made of some very hard steel!

ClarkeF

RE: five point nuts

Aboonsky,

the penta-nuts were a "brilliant" invention to keep the troops from disassembling the two-piece wheels when there are air-inside them which could cause injury as they are under considerable pressure. If you want my recommendation, I'd get rid of the penta-nuts and replace them with the current issue six-sided nuts. Your not going to like the price of the impact socket - it's well over a hundred from the dealers. Best chance would be to buy the replacement nuts (AMG PN EC12339501) and see if you can borrow a Penta-nut socket to get the old ones off.

http://www.bluehummer.com/pentasocket.html - has a "loaner" program if you buy the new nuts from him. :)

Cheers,

Clarke

ClarkeF

RE: five point nuts

P.S. the "early" wheels with the Penta nut sockets are probably the lower GVWR parts without the centering hole. As long as you aren't loading up tons of armor they will be fine. Dave also sell the necessary o-rings you need.

Cheers,

Clarke

aboonski

Thanks for the useable information!

I'll be calling to order the replacement nuts and to see about the loaner program for the penta-socket. I thought about making a socket out of a surplus six point impact socket. It would only be used once to pull the penta nuts off anyway. I am just worried about the water inside the rims right now. The two I managed to pull apart had already started rusting where the two parts join so I will have to beadblast the rusted areas out at the Patrick AFB auto hobby shop. I wanted to post a picture or two of the nuts that were on the two rims that I took apart so here goes. Once again, thanks for the info!

Al Broadbent

Attachments

DSO_351

RE: Thanks for the useable information!

I've never seen them assembled with plain nuts and washers. The original was 6 point stover locking flanged grade 8 nut. Egay has some stainless sets available.

aboonski

replacement nuts

I have ordered 36 replacement nuts and the loaner Penta socket from www.bluehummer.com for the three rims with the penta nuts on them. I may go on and change out the nuts and washers on the other two rims which have the nut and washer deal that you see in the photo. The two rims with this hardware also have regular vehicle valve stems that I might need to convert back to standard H1 fittings that will accept the ANG valves for use on my M1008A1 CUCV. Once I get the other three rims apart I hope to find beadlocks or runflats inside but will not know until I receive the penta socket. For some reason I have actually seen other vehicles with H1 rims that had these washers and nuts on them so they must be a modification made by the military. The washers have "TSI" and "1/2" stamped into them and the nuts have weird marks stamped into them so this hardware is not common Home Depot issue. Anybody else seen this before?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to drag up this old thread because it was all I could find on the 5 point penta nuts. Does anyone know what size 5 point socket is needed on the old rims?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok after a couple of days of research I found out they are 3/4. The nut size 1/2-20 thread. Hope this helps anyone looking in the future

papakb

I asked the local PG&E guy for a penta-nut socket because they use them on their underground utilities covers and he just gave me one........... You might ask at the local fire station too. Some hydrants used 5 sided wrenches to remove covers.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Those sockets are pretty pricey. Between $175 and $250. I ended up using a 19mm deep well impact socket from harbor freight. It was $3.99. I used a mini sledge hammer to drive it on. It was a pretty tight fit. Then a break over bar and got them off. Fastenal has the nuts in the regular 6 side for 86 cents each.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just use a drill at the junction b/t the bolt and the 5 star nut?

That's how I remove rust frozen bolts.

Fast, no special tools, and then easy to replace with new nuts and bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks