• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 with Cat Engine - WMO an option????

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at recovering an M35A3 with the Cat engine that is 1200 miles away.

Is the Cat engine a good canidate for WMO? I don't want to blown it up in the middle of nowhere.

What ratio do you think would work?

Also, does anyone know what the MPG for an A3 should be? I was guessing 4-5 and hoping for more.

Warthog

I'd run from WMO with a CAT!!!!

The Cat HEUI injection system has a hard enough time making injectors last with clean regualar diesel fuel. I wouldn't risk running WMO through the the injection system on this engine. Price (1) rebuilt injector from Cat and see if it's worth it....

Andy

garp

RE: I

Andy speaks volumes of truth. Only run Cat fuel filters and keep your water seperator clean. HEUI injectors can be damaged by using filters of less than 2 micron ratings.Antoher tip to keeping your injectors healthy is never run her out fuel, never prefill your filters, always hand prime and keep plenty of fuel in the tank. these engines run almost 70% of the fuel back to the tank for cooling purposes. So a low tank can get your temps up and also cauue a derate due to fuel temp being too high.Hot fuel dosnt lube injectors very well. Waste oil is a no-no for this one for sure.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the info I was looking for. That will save alot of headache and frustration. Thanks

saddamsnightmare

August 22nd, 2008. :jumpin:

Dear Warthog:

Congratulations on the A3 score!!! If your CTIS doesn't let you down, and you run Diesel only in your Cat, you oughta be good to go..... Wish I had one that new... On the M35A2 that I own, with a diversified fuel mixture of Diesel, some WMO and regular gas, I have been able to pull 10 MPG or a little better on the interstate at 48-53 MPH unloaded, and 8-9 with an empty M105A2 in tow (Normally aspirated LDS465 White Multifueld with about 25,000 miles since last rebuilt(1990)), so you might get within 10% of that figure, allowing for the larger engine and the automatic transmission..... Remember, these are tactical trucks, so speed is not their forte, and if you have a tachometer, do mind to stay out of the red zone, particularly on downgrades as the rpms can creep up faster then you think on hills....
Good luck on your trip, and do post some photos (likely one with a cat eatin' grin of you behind the wheel will turn up somewhere-tell Jay Leno to do one on your truck for the garage)...

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks