• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M345 10 ton Trailer

utsurplus

Last month I picked up a neat M345 trailer, when I was trying to research it to see how much weighed I found there wasn't too much info available on them. It is a 10 ton pintle hitch tagalong type trailer. Has full air brakes with the two hoses, nice tie down points all the way around it. It weighs almost 11,000 lbs empty with 829 lbs tongue weight. Full on the highway it is rated at 26,000 lbs payload with a trailer weight of 35,132 lbs and a tongue weight of 2,128 lbs for a total of 37,260 lbs. I don't plan on nearly fully loading it as I mostly plan on towing it with a deuce. I have not personally seen another trailer like this, so I thought I would share some pictures. Apparently it was purchased back in the DRMO days of the 90's. Luckily the route home was mostly flat and farm country so I felt pretty safe towing it with a 3500hd so that the diesel wouldn't end up costing as much as the trailer.

Attachments

M1075

Awesome trailer! I missed out on buying one in Missouri that was on ebay last year. Nice, big trailer to have. Maybe you need a bigger truck now?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are cool trailers, but they sit up so high because of the 1100s! I almost bought one from Winslow a few years back because the trailer was too high for my uses. I wanted to use it like a tag-along lowboy.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be an older design, I can't pull up a manual on this series trailer on LOGSA.

Very cool! Makes my 5-ton trailer look like nothing....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were used with the wreckers....M246, M543, M62, etc. The dataplate on it should say wrecker as part of it's description. Same wording as an M269, M270, M270a1 has.
I thought these were used behind crane-shovels to carry the attachments?

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the bed size L...? W...? I wonder if this would haul a 20' ISO container. I am still looking...:oops:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anyone ever taken one of these, swapped 9.00's on it, then installed a 5th wheel neck and a dovetail?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone ever taken one of these, swapped 9.00's on it, then installed a 5th wheel neck and a dovetail?

Tough putting a neck on a trailer with a loaded deck height near 4.5'.

M295 a better prospect for use as custom trailer.
M295A1 .jpgM295A1 basic chassis.jpg

quickfarms

The deck height is listed at 54" loaded but the pintle is listed as 29". The deck is 6" higher than standard but the pintle is 6" lower it does not make much sense .

The trailer will probably push the duece all over the road.

Danger Ranger

Yeah it would...

I really like these trailers, its too bad no one has really found very many good uses for them. Figure out how to lower one a bit, and add a dovetail, then you're in business.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The deck height is listed at 54" loaded but the pintle is listed as 29". The deck is 6" higher than standard but the pintle is 6" lower it does not make much sense .

The trailer will probably push the duece all over the road.
I'm not looking at one for a deuce. Looking at one to add a 5th wheel to and hook to my 931.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as a flat bed for a Deuce, I have my thoughts on the M989 (don't confuse that with its brother M989A1). I don't need a 5 ton, as I have an OTR truck & trailer, but have little use for it any more. The M345 i nice, but the M989 weighs 1/2 as much, and would take care of my needs. It would haul my little crawler or back hoe.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as a flat bed for a Deuce, I have my thoughts on the M989 (don't confuse that with its brother M989A1). I don't need a 5 ton, as I have an OTR truck & trailer, but have little use for it any more. The M345 i nice, but the M989 weighs 1/2 as much, and would take care of my needs. It would haul my little crawler or back hoe.
Not really half as light and about 6' shorter deck.

M989 7,000
M345 11,000