• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long bed willys jeep..

tamangel

RE: fess up..

CJ8 was introduced in 1981... This pic was taken between 1951 and 1955..hence my confusion also.. I have several feelers out on other listed. Eventually will solve the big mystery here.. Lots of fun..!

Mike

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: fess up..

I believe that pic predates all the Sixities models...................................... The windshield says it predates CJ5.

I believe Jones is on the right track with his answer.

Did you know that even though today you see a dozen crewcab longbed pickups on your way to work, they were pretty rare in the Sixties?

So rare that Dodge did not make a frame long enough for crewcab longbeds. If you went through all the hassle (and expense) of special ordering one, that Dodge sent the frame out for lengthening.

This changed at some point, but is illustrative of the kinds of things manufactuers used to do.

tamangel

vehicle was 4X4..State would have bought regular production model with factory accessories. Pic taken between 1951 and 1955,

So CJ2a or CJ3A/B

Mike

had someone from another list advise my jeep is a CJ3a, no earlier than 1949..due to it having a 3A windshield frame, and a clean pair of 3A style side steps..

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
wow, :oops: this thread takes the cake for the most wrong info.

For future reference...

CJ2A roughly equivalent to MB/GPW
CJ3A roughly equivalent to m38
CJ5(early version) roughly equivalent to m38A1
CJ6 roughly equivalent to m170 (LWB version of M38A1 primarily used as an Ambulance)

CJ7 SWB civvy origin
CJ8 LWB version of CJ7
YJ (first "wrangler" square headlights)
TJ (second "wrangler" round headlights 97-06 SWB & LWB 04-06)
JK (current " wrangler" 2 & 4 door versions)

FWIW I would say it is probably a CJ3A with the bed extension option. All kinds of options (front & rear PTO, etc.)were available for the early CJ's as they were marketed heavily to agricultural users.

jeep addicted

jeep CJ3 long bed

Forgive me for replying to an old thread, but I'm new here and I too have seen a Jeep that looks to be 1949 CJ3 with a long bed. The frame has not been lengthened, but the body has. It could be a homemade modification, or it could be a rare Jeep. The jeep has many obvious mods like a slant 6 and steering column from a valiant. I can pick it up for $500. But it needs alot of work. Could be worth it if it's rare. Could be not so worth it if it's a homemade frankenstein. Any suggestions?

emr

cj6 was a little longer behind the driver before the rear wheal, cj8 was a little lnger there and after the rear wheel also...rare vehicle and very cool all of them,

Wild Horse Hans

The pic of the long Jeep towing the trailer is based on a CJ3B as it has the tall hood. I have never seen a factory longbed CJ3B but that does not mean they do not exist.
They still make the CJ3B in Asia and sell them in Central America under the Mitsubishi name. Udated engine of course, but the rest is pretty much CJ3B.

jeep addicted

What's the best way to decifer whether it's a rare factory Jeep or a frankenstein built in someones backyard? It has an ID # but it was a DMV # issued by DMV that they have no records of. It has other modifications that were obviously not 1949 era. But the bed length could be original.

Amer-team

Was on the big Island of Hawaii about 5 years back and saw in person 3 or 4 WW2 jeeps with this modification. I stopped and talked to a man that had one in his yard. He said they were modifications made after the war and used by the coffee plantations as coffee orchard jeeps. I even found one that was down close to the water that appeared to have been abandoned for a long time. All sorts of small parts, but lots of rust and I didn't even have my leatherman with me.

DavidA

Here is one of a few that I photographed in Hawaii some years ago. The fellow who found this one had a few them along with an Willys MA that he found under a Macadamia nut tree. I was pretty impressed with the ingenuity of the farmers who had turned these WWII jeeps into farm trucks. Most have been stripped for parts. The MA went Down-under on an Ebay deal.

IMG_6616.jpg

Amer-team

But it's restorable and running when parked. :D Thank you for sharing the pic. I didn't think to take pics of any of the ones that I saw.

Another Ahab

I saw a pic recently of a old willys jeep that had a long bed on it. At least longer than the standard cj models I was familiar with. Its not a long wheelbase, just the bed is longer. The wheelbase looked to be standard (80" or 100" or ?)It had the 'four wheel drive' script on the right rear , a drop down tailgate and one stoplight on the left. The bed length was the odd thing to me.. Any idea what model it was so I can do some more research..would be approx. late 40's, early 50's time frame and probably civilian model but unknown for sure..

any links would be appreciated..

Mike
This is the longest Jeep I ever ran across. Anybody know the story on this model (one-off? modified? special service?):

3 axle jeep.jpg

FrankUSMC

That is the Willys Mt-TUG 6x6 jeep. I think only 15 were made during the war (could be wrong, getting old). During testing it was found they were not needed as they were all ready plenty of vehicles that could do the job.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Another Ahab

That is the Willys Mt-TUG 6x6 jeep. I think only 15 were made during the war (could be wrong, getting old). During testing it was found they were not needed as they were all ready plenty of vehicles that could do the job.
So, a tug: for pulling aircraft around on airstrips?

FrankUSMC

No, they had an armored version, an ambulance version, it was mainly used as a tow vehicle. This was a test vehicle, that they tested, and found was not needed. Nothing to do with aircraft. Again, I am going off my head on this, I loaned my main vehicle book out years ago to a WWII veteran, and after he passed away, I never got it back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks