• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No More Political Avatars or Signatures or Slamming!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
From this moment on, there will be no more political avatars, political signature lines or political slamming in the forums. It is doing nothing positive for our site. All it does is create anger and dissension in the ranks. I am tired of it. I'm not talking about MV related politics. There is a place for that here. I'm talking about the sign-holding, candidate touting general political crap.

This is a military vehicle site, not a DNC site or a RNC site. There are plenty of other opportunities on the net for political wrangling. Don't do it here. If you don't fix your avatars, I will delete them and disable your ability to use one. Same thing with your sig lines. I will delete them and lock out the option in your account. Cut out the political slamming in your posts or they will be deleted. You get one warning and on the next post, you lose posting privileges for a week. One more and you lose a month. One more and you are done for a year.

I'm not messing around on this! I don't care who you are voting for in November. Keep it about the MV's!

This is a new post to share the ruling, but there will be no commentary allowed on this one. There was too much junk and disrespect in the last one. This is your final notice. Any further testing of the forum waters will result in suspension or outright banning of members. Drop the attitudes and get back to the military vehicles. That's why we are all here!!

Elwenil

While I definitely support Chris' decision to eliminate any political content on SS, I must say that we may soon reach a point where politics will play a big role in how the future of the MV hobby changes. Until that is a reality I agree we need to keep the site completely focused on the MVs and the lifestyle that has grown around them for the sake of our tight knit group and the brotherhood that has evolved here. Hopefully we will never have to deal with politics and MVs together but it it comes to that I hope that Chris will allow some limited discussion on the subject and that everyone will be respectful of each other's opinion and ideals. MVs are what brought everyone here together and it's what keeps us all together, so lets not let anything petty tear that apart.

Just my .02

dirtyfingernails

I must admit, the "don't blame me" on both sides is discouraging. I'm glad they're gone. We all (as Americans) are in a deep pile right now. Seems like we'd try to work together to get things right instead of blaming the other side. We ALL may lose on this one if we're not careful. I'm American first!
Felt compelled to take a stand.
Steve

jfnemt1ff1

I agree I have found out from living in small towns not to bring up any politics. All they lead to is increased stress. This is a great site and dont know if I would have have my 2nd mv the Gama Goat if it was not from help from this site. And now it is the first think I look in the am.And have gotton loads of help here. Other sites out their come no were close to this site. And written words are easer typed then said, But still carry the same effects.
John:wink:

maritimer

well i hope my avatar aint considered political lol. yeah i dont blame u guys for not wanting politics here, i am a member on a canadian gun forum and holy hanna is there alot of political bs lol

dburt

Well Chris, since it is your site, you can make any rules you want to and set whatever tone you want the site to have. And the rest of us need to be responsible, mature adults and go with your direction or start our own websites. Since I can barely understand the internet, I guess I better stick with my membership here at this site since I am in no position to start another website even if I was so inclined.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, it is necessary to bring this thread back to the top. There have been a bunch of posts lately slamming one political group or another. There have also been some shots taken at our new commander in chief.

I really need you guys to clean up your posts. Think twice before tossing out some less-than-helpful political slaps. There is a LOT of attention being drawn to our hobby right now and we need it to be for all of the right reasons.

This is not an attempt to make this site completely apolitical. There is a need to have some political discussion when it comes to protecting our hobby. Cheap shots are not helpful.

This rule is for the good of the site and the hobby. If you can't follow it your posts will be deleted and you will be suspended.

rwelker

Chris, while I do not post very often I check the site multiple times a day to keep up to date. Perhaps another suggestion would be to be careful what our avatars depict. The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" holds very true. While none are offensive to me, a random viewer may form an adverse opinion of our hobby if inappropriate avatars are viewed. These days we need all the supporters we can get and need the public to view our hobby in a positive way-as collectors of old trucks. We need to be careful so as not to appear as radical or threatening. Just thoughts..................

Chevytruck

Chris, while I do not post very often I check the site multiple times a day to keep up to date. Perhaps another suggestion would be to be careful what our avatars depict. The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" holds very true. While none are offensive to me, a random viewer may form an adverse opinion of our hobby if inappropriate avatars are viewed. These days we need all the supporters we can get and need the public to view our hobby in a positive way-as collectors of old trucks. We need to be careful so as not to appear as radical or threatening. Just thoughts..................
:ditto:

if people don't like our hobby, its only going to go downhill for us

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks guys. Good point about the avatars. I'm not trying to be the forum secret police or anything, but if any of the membership spot some troublesome pics, sigs, posts, etc... feel free to notify me or Mangus. There is also a 'report this post' button on each post if you feel it is a bad post.

n1bnc

In the ham radio world, a couple of subjects are "suggested" taboo and they are politics, religion, and woopie. Most of the time, this guideline is followed. Where we often involved with emergency communications and providing aid to the local authorities when their systems are down, we look rather professional as a whole. When the subject comes up the bad apples come out of the closets and make a general mess on the radio for ANYONE to hear, rather like the internet...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I do not discuss politics, religion or sex with my closest friends without firm rules agreed upon up front.
The rules established here are simple....don't do it! Not in the forum, not in chat and not by pics etc.
Heck...these 3 topics have been a hot topic forever and none of them will be solved here.
SO... I say we all stick to the few simple rules and appreciate what we have here, or do our venting on another site and then come back here to talk about MV stuff.
How many ways can it be said nicely before the mods have to whack someone?

kroctec

I would like to add my personal support to the stand on political taken by Chris and supported by Mike and others.
At the same time I would also like to point out that, although this is a predominantly USA membership, it is never the less an international site dealing with all aspects of MV ownership not the place for national chest beating.
As such it would be nice if we, the members, could maintain a cohesive corporate face and show that this is a site of excellence as a knowledge base that is factual, helpfull and to the point.
best regards from Dave Gudmunsen Mellon Charles, Scotland

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

Hmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks