• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing recommendations between Barstow and Riverside, CA

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I just got my paid-in-full invoice on four CUCVs at Barstow, CA, that I need to transport to Riverside, CA. I don't know if any of the CUCVs run, and if possible I'd like to stay at home and let the trucks come to me. ;) I did at least head out there to look at them before bidding, though.

Many years ago when I got my first deuce out of Barstow, I used a nearby towing company called All-Star Towing, and they were surprisingly cheap... but they no longer appear to have a listing. So, can any of y'all recommend one or more towing companies that have experience recovering from GL at Barstow (so they can just be told "go pick up lots X, Y, Z from GL at Barstow", and they'll know what to do), and can give me a good combination of price and service? If all else fails I'll just do a Google Maps search and go down the list cold-calling them, but I'd welcome any positive or negative recommendations from other Steel Soldiers members based on their own experiences.

Thanks in advance!

jimbo*

Golden State Equipment rentals out of Hesperia helped me recover a five ton from Barstow, charged $105 per hour, has a winch on the trailer for dead trucks.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Towing recommendations between Barstow and Riverside

jimbo* said:
Golden State Equipment rentals out of Hesperia helped me recover a five ton from Barstow, charged $105 per hour, has a winch on the trailer for dead trucks.
Thanks for the info! Did they charge you for the backhaul, too, or did the clock stop running when the cargo hit the ground?

area52

RE: Re: RE: Towing recommendations between Barstow and River

Mark,

I called Golden State about a recovery. They start the clock the moment the truck leaves their yard (Hesperia) and stops when it gets back to Hesperia. Might be kinda long to Riverside.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Mark,
Try City Wide Towing. Ask for Alfonso and tell him I sent ya. Hopefully he won't gouge ya too bad.
800-980-4869

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Thanks for all of the suggestions that I've gotten so far (both in this thread and by PM). I'll probably try calling City Wide tomorrow morning... even though I bid on those silly CUCVs on a whim and I've never been much of a CUCV enthusiast before, all of a sudden I just gotta play with my new trucks right away! :D

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

PM sent with contact info on family friend with big rig and big trailer who lives by you.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

I originally expected to have my CUCVs picked up late last week, but I had to delay the pickup due to a little medical emergency. With that out of the way, I had everything lined up for a pickup today, but the towing company went to the wrong place and then missed their pick-up appointment. Thankfully, I wasn't there waiting for them! They're going to try to set up another appointment tomorrow, and luckily I should be able to telecommute again tomorrow so that I can be home to take delivery.

This ridiculous pickup by appointment only stuff has to go!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Towing recommendations between Barstow and River

I got my trucks picked up today. Thanks for the help!

Of the three M1009 blazers, only one still has the rear window crank intact, and the window regulator doesn't work, anyway. One truck has military police markings and still has a red light behind the grille. The batteries are all dead. The engine compartments all look like they have the right stuff inside, but I haven't crawled underneath to count the transmissions and so forth yet. I'll need to reconnect the driveshafts on the two that were towed with wheels on the ground, anyway. It looks like all three blazers had radios in them. One still has a SINCGARS rack and one still has a VRC-12 series rack, while the third has had the radio shelf removed. Two trucks had keys in the ignition, and it turns out that the CUCV key that a guy at a gun store gave me a decade or so ago actually works.

I might start another thread or four in the CUCV forum once I have a chance to examine my trucks more. I'm a total CUCV noob, but hopefully I won't ask too many bone-headed questions. ;)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks