• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 to M1028A3 Gov Conversion?

Crash_AF

73-87 (91) 4X4 trucks didn't come with a rear sway bar. I'm thinking that the kit sold to the DOD did include the sway bar because of the need of the shelter carriers.
The rear sway bar was offered in the Camper Special package starting in 1977 and was standard with dual wheel versions equipped with the Camper Special package.

Later,
Joe

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear sway bar was offered in the Camper Special package starting in 1977 and was standard with dual wheel versions equipped with the Camper Special package.

Later,
Joe
True, but only in 2WD. I can personally confirm that they were not in the ordering book for 81, 82, 84, 86 and 88. I ordered an 86 and 88 myself and it wasn't available. The other years I can't confirm but have never been able to produce one pic or document that shows it.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years back I picked up a bunch of Chevy Truck data books at a car dealer auction. Looking under the option section it looks like the rear sway bar came with the Z81 Camper Special package. The page below is from the 1986 data book. Also in the Cab and Chassis section it states it was available also with the C31003 or C31403 models. Here I thought it only came on the models for the 8 foot box, looks like it was a dual wheel only option. My next question is: I have two M1028a2s, one has a B in the serial number (ex M1031) the other a C. So I take it that only SOME M1028a1s were converted from M1031s but not all? A civilian K30 that era had a NP205 not a NP208 anyway. thanks for the rant.,

Attachments

TGP (IL)

Recovery is correct.
Only two wheel drive got the sway bar.
I ordered a 77 K30 (first year) and couldn't get it.
And it was a camper special and everything else including Tach,PW.PL, tilt,etc.
Every option was ordered.
Ordered a 84 K30 set up exactly like these m1028, 6.2,400 205,4.56 no spin,
and no rear sway bar.
Just because it was on the option list doesn't mean it was always available.
A lot of options over ruled other options.
Like clock, couldn't get a clock if you ordered a Tach.

The front helper springs are not correct. someone else added them, as I don't believe there part of the mod.
My 1028 A2 has a better modification tag. also
TGP

Attachments

Last edited:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not disagreeing, verifying.
Just adding that 2wd cab and chassis with dual wheel and camper special option got it also.

Recovery is correct.
and no rear sway bar.

The front helper springs are not correct. someone else added them, as I don't believe there part of the mod.
TGP

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Recovery is correct.
and no rear sway bar.

TGP
TGP I was in thread and had to ask if you still have the 77 K30? Old thread I know but answers some question I had. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks