• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work on the War Pig continues

russ81

Work on the War Pig is moving forward. I've got all 4 corners rebuilt with new bearings, seals, brakes, and wheel cylinders. Pulled the motor last week. Purchased a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 24v Cummins this week. Will start the install in a few weeks, if work and the wife allows. Got the 52's mounted this weekend. Have all my components to start fabricating the 6" pipe bumpers front and rear the 6" side steps. The bed frame is 3/4's fabricated, and ready to accept the panels and tailgate. I'll start rolling the diamond plate for the rear fenders in few weeks.

Should be a hoot when it's rolling! :driver: :grd:

Attachments

russ81

RE: Work on the War Pig continues !!!!!!!!!

I've been talking to a couple of different places about fabricating some new leaf springs. Deffinetly going to go with a softer rider, since I'm not going to be hauling 5ton in it. It should give me better articulation, but I'm not sure about going with more lift. Maybe a little more, but I'm going to have to see how it sets after I get the bed completed, the motor installed, and both bumpers and side steps installed. It will squat her a little more, so I will probably add about 4" more lift. I'm just going to play it by ear, and lift her if she needs it. Otherwise I like the way it sets right now.

russ81

No I haven't.......And I'm afraid to!

I'm a Millwright by trade, so I know what ever I find I'll probably be pretty p***ed off.

I will have to now, because now it will bother me until I know.........Thanks alot.......LOL

russ81

The wheels are between $300-$400 each depending on where you get them, and what style and finish you get. The tires are very expensive new. Over the counter they are almost 1,500 each. You can get them from military surplus auctions pretty cheap. I got mine off of e-bay for only $175 each , and they are brand spanking new. Never been mounted. Shipping was $100 each, because they are almost 400lb. I thought it was a pretty good deal, so I bought 5 wheels and tires. Now I have a spare.

A guy on e-bay has them 4 for $850. It's not who I bought from, but he has a lot of them. Here is the link, or type in "michelin xzl" in the search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mich...arms=39:1|65:1|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

russ81

55Cameo said:
Russ, have you spun those wheels to see what the runnout is? Just curious, mine aren't very true and I was wondering how those were.
Didn't have a chance to check it out tonight. Had to rebuild a hub on a 10ton flat bed. I'll check it out as soon as I have a little more time. I will post my findings.

russ81

Thanks
I'm having fun building it, and I really enjoy all the support this site gives me.

I'm really wanting the finished product to be a vehicle that first off performes second to none, second off look really unique, but third and most important, is fun to drive and comfortable enough that the little woman will enjoy taking it on trips.

100dollarman

Truck looks great so far!

Is there another thread for the details on this truck? I am doing one now, too, and would like to see more about yours!

If no thread..

Have you turned your wheels/tires to check for clearance? I have the 16-20s and 14.00-20s which are about 49" tall---- I plan to use the 49s. (unless the 52"s will fit!)

Did you use front springs from a deuce, or from a 105 trailer? Or?

Sounds like you are building a custom bed?

Cant wait to see more! Thanks for sharing the pics.

russ81

Yes I used the front springs and hangers from the front of another deuce.
I am custom building my own bed. It will look something like an M-715 or 40's model Dodge Power Wagon with rolled diamond plate fenders on the outside of the bed panels.
I have added a few pictures of the build up. If you have any questions I would be more then happy to help any way I can.

Attachments

russ81

Finally got time to work on the truck again. Spent most of the winter striping out an `03 Dodge 3/4 ton with a cummins. Been working on the "nerf bars." They are 6" schd. 40. Lucky for me there is a large scrap pile out at the plant. The bed frame, nerf bars, and bumpers are all made out of scrap steel that was headed for the recycle bin. That has saved me a fortune.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks