• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work on the War Pig continues

nhdiesel

I'm not sure why you are having problems with the computer. Find one of the many Cummins swap services on the web, and send them your computer; they will either send yours back, or if on a time limit, send you a reflashed PCM, all ready to work as a stand-alone controller. These engines get swapped into Fords, GMs, and many other vehicles without using anything Dodge other than the engine itself and the PCM.

I would also make the small investment in a true stand-alone harness. You can easily sell enough parts off the donor truck to pay for it. I had to rewire my 2000 Durango harness when I installed the 4bt, and it was no picnic. I spent several evenings with a harness strewn out in my living room with the factory wiring schematics before I got it stripped down cleanly and properly. I'm a real cheap SOB, a trained and schooled technician (at a Dodge school at that), and if there was ANY harness available to fit my application I would have grabbed it.

Since you have nothing electronic you have to graft in, you have it easier than i did. I had to make electronic gauges, sensors, and many other items work with a non-electronic engine. You have nothing to graft together, you just need to eliminate everything not related to the engine. That is where the stand-alone swap harness comes in. You end up with a harness you plug the PCM into, hook up a couple keyed power wires, a constant hot, and a ground and be done with it. Then install separate sending units for the gauges.

I just skimmed through the thread, so I may have missed it, but I didn't see a mention of the electric lift pump for that engine. By far the best thing you can do for that engine, for both power, and more importantly life of the injection pump, is to install a FASS or Air Dog Raptor pump and filter assembly. This should be done before any real performance increases of the engine anyway, but even a stock engine would benefit from better filtration and a more reliable lift pump.

As for the compressor situation, do NOT use that Sanden for a constant air supply. They can be band-aided to work for short term uses, such as airing up tires after a trail run, but will not last long in a constant use environment like air for the brakes. Get a York compressor, they have their own oil supply (crankcase oil) and will happily run as much as you need it. Even better though would be to just adapt on the Deuce's compressor or another truck compressor. But I see no reason the York wouldn't work for your needs. They are commonly available, and there is a bracket kit for your engine:
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/bracket-kits.htm

Jim

Last edited:

russ81

Ok...haven't been able to work on the "Pig" since my job sucks, and it takes me all over the country, so I picked up this little toy, threw it in the back of the truck, and am taking it with me to all these jobs I'm going on.

Got the painting done this week, and hopefully putting the knobbie tires on her this weekend. Making her an "adventure cruiser" steet and trail bike to carry along with the War Pig. Think I'm going to name her.......Piglet

What do y'all think ?

Attachments

Dieselholic92

Nice project! My dad and I have 3 early 50s/60s deuces that are all gassers. Mine currently isn't running and I don't want to waste the time on the gas engine. I really want to put a 5.9 12 valve or an 8.3 cummins in it depending on what I can get my hands on.

Gnepig

Revival of an old thread..I wonder if russ ever finished the war pig?

Yes, I seen him sell/ trade it to the guy on the tv show God, Guns and Automobiles. Dude loaded his whiny brother up in it and drove it over some trees. I think it sold for $7000. It looked real good tho...

russ81

Yes, I seen him sell/ trade it to the guy on the tv show God, Guns and Automobiles. Dude loaded his whiny brother up in it and drove it over some trees. I think it sold for $7000. It looked real good tho...
NOPE !! still got her.

I've had to take a break from working on her due to work related issues. Moved up in the company, and had to start traveling all over the country and in fact multiple other countries.

Lucky for me a really good friend of mine has talked me into letting him work on it......he's a professional auto mechanic, so I have no worries about any of the work he does.

Looking to have her on the road before winter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gnepig

Quote:
"Looking to have her on the road before winter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Very Awesome, I'm glad to be wrong...
Lookin forward to seein it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks