• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Work on the War Pig continues

russ81

I did some research on where the term "war pig" comes from. I know Ozzie sung about it, but it's roots are a lot deeper.

When Hannibal was making his march across southern Europe the Gauls noticed that the sound of squeeling pigs scared his "War Elephants." So being the barbarians that they were, they would cover pigs in tar, SET THEM ON FIRE, and sling then out in front fo the elephants. Because of the pigs running around squeeling in pain the elephants would become completely uncontrolable, and would retreat running over their own troops. The down turn was that the pigs, in their present state, would also be completely uncontrolable, and would cause just as much damage to the Gauls. Needless to say, War Pigs were discontinued, and a sad chapter in history was closed.

russ81

got the bumper mounted today. I think it is to tall. I'm going to chop 6" off of it tomorrow.
I added a small deck out of 3/8" plate for a Winch mounting platform. Also added a 2" reciever. Thought this might come in handy some day.

Attachments

Rustmaster

"they would cover pigs in tar, SET THEM ON FIRE, and sling them out in front"

That would work pretty well in our current conflicts. Strap some fins and a G.P.S./camera to there snout and you have smart pigs..... Flying pigs!!! Yes I went there.

bkwudzhom

Very intresting project and well beyond my means and abilities! bumper looks good but i agree 6 inches lower might help with the view from the cab.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Quote of the year....

"they would cover pigs in tar, SET THEM ON FIRE, and sling them out in front"

That would work pretty well in our current conflicts. Strap some fins and a G.P.S./camera to there snout and you have smart pigs..... Flying pigs!!! Yes I went there.

russ81

Those "little pecker looking things" are for hooking up chains, slings, what ever to. Come up under the bumper from behind and hang the loop over them. Puts the bumper into a twist, which is much stronger then just a straight pull. Plus it makes it impossible for the sling to fly off.

phataux

you said a 12v "painless system in 1000 what all will that include? also i think i read you dont have a multifuel, lets pretend i had a multifuel and wanted a 12v system what would i need? where would i get it? and would it even work? thanks for any help

by the way love what your doing with the pig. have you thought of using your bumper at an air reservoir seems like it would hold a good bit just fill it up from a compressor and put a nipple on it with a quick connect, just a thought

russ81

As far as the Painless system goes it is strickly a wiring harness. It eliminates all the wires going to the different accessories that have nothin to do with the engine.

I didn't have a multi in her. She came with a gold comet gasser. I don't know much about the multi's, and there are several threads on here that deal with that question better.

Yes, I am planing on using the front and rear bumpers, along with the nerf bars, as air tanks. They are made out of 6" sch. 40 except for the front bull bar which is 4" sch. 10. The rear and the nerf bars can easily be pumped up to 300psi, which is more then any onboard compressor can make.

Last edited:

mudguppy

you said a 12v "painless system in 1000 what all will that include? also i think i read you dont have a multifuel, lets pretend i had a multifuel and wanted a 12v system what would i need? where would i get it? and would it even work? thanks for any help...
yeah, the painless system is just a wiring harness to support the engine and related electronics and sensors/sendors - not the rest of the vehicle.

12volt conversion would be pretty basic:
  • charging system - easy alternator swap
  • batteries - easy rewire from series to parrallel
  • starting system - starter rebuilt for 12volt or find/swap a comparable 12v starter
  • lighting - butt-load of bulb swapping
  • blinker/flasher - swap to 12v equivalent
  • relays/breakers - misc. equivalent 12v swapped in.
should be straight forward, except for maybe the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks