• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 flex plate problem

Wartburg

I just got my first 1985 CUCV M1008. When I got the truck they told me the started bolts had striped on it and that they had helli coiled it to try and fix the problem. I pulled the inspection plate on the 400 turbo trainey and could be that the flex plate/fly wheel had some missing teeth. They had put a new starter on the truck and the teeth or good on it but the flex plate is in bad shape. The old starter is in the back up the truck and it looks like that kept grinding on it until everything was in bad shape. I move the flex plat until the starter was lined up with good teeth and it worked great.

Sorry that was so long here is my problem. NAPA list two flex plates for this truck. both have 139 teeth and a 2".5 inch crank diamitor. one is the FA 76 and one is the FA 69. I was told that you could find out the correct one on the Engine Vin number.

I was not certain if anyone had dealt with this problem before or had any suggestions. does anyone know where the Engine Vin number will be located?? are the flex plates different becuase of the 24 volt starter??

papercu

VIN is on the dash. Your VIN number is "J" I think the flexplate would be different because of the type of transmissions. Wayne

dependable

I had to replace a flex plate on one of mine when I first bought it. They listed one for H D and diesel and one for regular duty. Its harder to find good parts people willing to look past their computer screen.

mangus580

you want the flex plate with the larger bolts diameter for the torque converter. One is for the TH400 (large diameter) one is for the 700R4 (small diameter)

Wartburg

Croatan_Kid said:
I've got the one I pulled off of my M1008 from when I swapped transmissions if you want it.
Colonel, How much do you want for it. My email is Jay_Moore@webbschool.org or my cell number is 865 789 6653. One of my good friends live in Pine Hurst But I looked on the map and know that is a good peace from ya. I live in knoxville tn and would be happy to send you a check for Sipping and handling. [/i]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks