• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pulling m1009 with m1009

beaubeau

I see no reason why you cannot. Watch your RPMs and if you must, manually shift the trans to keep the RPMs up. I will be hauling a Deuce back from Picatinny on Thurs. with my 1ton Duramax and my 20,000lb Trl. I will also have another driver pulling an M1008 with my F-150 FORD!!?? I built a towbar today and it works great.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Done it for 60 miles and on a second occasion about 15 miles. Open flat highway it is ok (not fun but just ok) but on secondary roads with curves and hills, it can bring your pucker factor up to about 200%. I was lucky this past weekend when Maddawg towed mine home for me with his deuce.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
No...

If you don't run stick on's, you can splice in to the taillights in the engine compartment of the tow on the drivers side

2deuce

I have done it on the interstate and would not recommend it. If a large truck comes up behind you very close, that is enough to lose control. That is if you are going over 50mph. Up to 40mph it feels good, so stay on the side roads where you can keep your speed down. Interstate speeds are too high even if you go only 50-55. If you try it you will feel very unsafe and know first hand what I'm talking about. Rear wheels on your towing M1009 won't want to stay where they should when your speed is up, they get very loose. I was using a med towbar. If you have any tight curves especially downhill ones, the towed M1009 will definately push you and you can't take much of that, go very slow. You need a good feel for the road so don't let yourself get surprised, take it very easy.
Greg

2deuce

One of the problems with towing a M1009 is they are blown around by passing trucks more than a M1008 is. Neither one should be towed by a M1009. Too short of wheelbase and not enough weight. An 18 wheeler was following me for a number of miles when he decided to come up directly on my bumper. I thought then that, that act was on purpose. I lost control, I had to let my vehicle go which ever way it wanted. It was like I hit a sheet of ice. Thankfully the interstate was straight and had a 30 foot emergency lane that was in front of a rest area. The M1009's floated that way and became stable once my speed went below 40mph. I didn't look but I bet that 18 wheeler's driver had a big grin on his face when he went by. He had to have known what he did. I won't tow an m1009 with another unless I have to. My deuce tows them beautifully.
Greg

BobM

I just towed my M1008 644 miles behind my Siverado 1500 pickup. And that was thru the Appalachian Mts. I admit that at the beginning I was REALLY nervous. But with caution for the other idiots out there, it can be done safely. Of course this is just MHO! :lol:

2deuce

When I decided to do my tow I thought just like Bob in the tow he did above. But the M1009 doesn't act like a pickup. The short wheelbase makes a big difference, I found that out in anything over 40mph. It can be done and I'm sure its been done by others but as one poster stated the pucker factor is up there pretty high. If you drive your M1009 over 70 on the freeway and make a quick lane change you can get that same feeling as I did when towing at 55 with another m1009 back there and alittle wind gust with no lane change.

TOBEXA

it is ludicrous......... felt super dangerous!!!!! LMAO............one of the more stupid things i have done towing. Looked tiiiiiiiiight.............

underdog

Used a tow dolly.
Towed one with one from TX to Eastern TN.
No trouble with the weight as long as there are no steep grades.
(Had one hard pull over by chattanooga overheated going up and ran out of brakes going down the otherside).
Stability can be a problem with the short wheelbase.
If you could get a tow bar it would probably work better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks