• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Wheel Install

Cdub

Hey Guys

Well I’ve got the steering wheel off the M925 five ton O.K. even with the truck sitting up in Maine for five years with the cab cover off. It took a little bit at first then she finally gave a “ POP “ and came right off.

Now it time to install the new one………Oh boy…..!!.....I didn’t know there was this five hundred pound spring underneath that needs to be compressed before you even get close to the splines on the steering wheel never mind the threads for the nut. I did notice that the inner column had a little up and down play that I might make up for if I push up on from underneath at the U joint. But still didn’t have enough to get a couple of threads started………..

The military has a good puller but how about a good installing tool……?? There must be some sort of trick to getting this steering wheel back on……??

Any ideas or tricks of the trade guys……..??

Thanks,

C’dub

jatonka

900 series steering wheel puller

Hi Craig, glad it came off OK, send it right home, soon as you can. Need to use it on new JATonka truck. John T

Cdub

RE: 900 series steering wheel puller

Hi John,

I'll have it in a Flat Rate box and mailed for ya today......... :D

Thanks SO much,

Craig

Cdub

RE: 900 series steering wheel puller

Hi John,

Your Steering Wheel Puller went out today vai the US Postal Service with Priority Mailing.

You should have it back with in two to three business days.

Thank You,

Craig

Cdub

The next day things went like clock work.

Just a little porta power under the U joint of the steering column was all she needed. I didn't use it for any real pushing power. Just something that was adjustable that would hold it in place while I placed the steering wheel on and tightened down the nut behind the wheel...........

Total time = 3 minutes

It took longer to set up the porta power then anything else.

seya,

C'dub

Attachments

Crossinwiresisbad

The next day things went like clock work.

Just a little porta power under the U joint of the steering column was all she needed. I didn't use it for any real pushing power. Just something that was adjustable that would hold it in place while I placed the steering wheel on and tightened down the nut behind the wheel...........

Total time = 3 minutes

It took longer to set up the porta power then anything else.

seya,

C'dub
I know this is an old thread...but it was extraordinarily helpful with installing my new steering wheel! I used an 8-ton high lift air jack to put some light pressure up under the steering joint. C'dub was spot on when he said it takes longer to set up the jack.

Another bit of helpful info for any of you that may have F'ed up the threads pounding the sh*t out of the steering shaft like I did: Use a small triangle file to reshape the threads, if you can get the nut started strait and tighten it down, the threads on the nut will reshape the shaft threads. Worth a try before buying a new shaft.

goldneagle

We replaced 2 steering wheels on both M923 trucks and did not have that problem. It was harder to remove the steering wheel then it was to install it. Neither truck had any resistance to raising the steering column so I could install the nut to secure the steering wheel. All that was necessary was to slide it up on the slip joint near the steering box and hold it there until the nut was started. Since this was the same on 2 different trucks I am puzzled as to why you had so much trouble getting the steering column to come back up.

Crossinwiresisbad

We replaced 2 steering wheels on both M923 trucks and did not have that problem. It was harder to remove the steering wheel then it was to install it. Neither truck had any resistance to raising the steering column so I could install the nut to secure the steering wheel. All that was necessary was to slide it up on the slip joint near the steering box and hold it there until the nut was started. Since this was the same on 2 different trucks I am puzzled as to why you had so much trouble getting the steering column to come back up.
I agree, it was harder to remove the wheel than install it...once I figured out I could slide the steering shaft up enough that I wasn't trying to push down on that heavy spring. My jack, like C'dubs porta power, was really just used to hold a bit of pressure behind the shaft when doing this by yourself.

sed6

Can't get mine on either

I got my old 18" wheel off and can't get my new 20" wheel on. The spring just provides too much resistance. I need to compress it over 1/4" before the nut might have a chance to start. I supporated the column from underneath with a long wood block. I cannot muster the strength or leverage to compress the spring. Ideas? I was quite excited when my homemade puller worked perfectly tonight but now I'm kinda deflated...

What's that spring do anyway? Horn circuit or a precursor to an airbag...?

20160513_191543.jpg

20160513_193835.jpg

20160513_184211.jpg

Crossinwiresisbad

Mystery spring

I got my old 18" wheel off and can't get my new 20" wheel on. The spring just provides too much resistance. I need to compress it over 1/4" before the nut might have a chance to start. I supporated the column from underneath with a long wood block. I cannot muster the strength or leverage to compress the spring. Ideas? I was quite excited when my homemade puller worked perfectly tonight but now I'm kinda deflated...

What's that spring do anyway?

Not sure what that spring does...my best guess is that it keeps the shaft from moving around since it kinda floats in the steering shaft tube. I couldn't see your pictures because I only have my phone right now...but you NEED some sort of jack. A bottle jack on the knuckle or axle with a pipe or piece of wood to brace against the steering shaft joint and push up. I used a tall bottle jack, just a couple pumps and light pressure from underneath and you'll get all the thread you need to start the nut. You shouldn't have to compress that spring at all. If you need more help give me a call...I felt your same pain a couple months ago: 512-202-5121
-Daniel

sed6

Thanks for the nice offer and tip. I got it! Jack required and cleaning the crap off the splines probably helped too!

20160514_092654_001.jpg

20160514_124900.jpg

Ajax MD

Grrrrrr!! I spent 2 hours fighting that stupid steering wheel until I found this thread. Thank goodness for the forum.
No mention made of propping up the steering shaft in the TM.

It's all in "how" you ask the question. I'd read dozens of threads on removal but none of them mentioned any difficulty getting the wheel back on!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks