Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winch

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Default Winch

Hello all.
    I have a m35a2 woith out winch and was thinking about adding a electric worm 12,000 winch, It is smaller in size but I use to have one on my one ton truck and it was a real puller. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts about it please.
    Allen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default RE: Winch

Assuming it's 24v, it should work just fine. You'll need to fab up some bracketry, and maybe scrounge up some frame extensions for the winch (like the real winch trucks have) unless you plan on hiding the winch under the frame somewhere (which would be cool).

Should be an interesting project.
    Dan Martin
    1988 M35A2C (USAF)
    1945 M29C Weasel
    Hillsboro, OR.
    MVPA# 31124
    MVCCO# 828

We shall not cease from exploration
    and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started
    and know the place for the first time
    - T.S. Eliot

4 Star General
    Thanks

It should work fine within it's limitations. Don't expect it to do what a GI 10K winch will.

Unlike winches certified for overhead use, commercial self recovery winches are not regulated or certified by any gov't or third party inspections.The manufacturers can make any claim they want.

Not one part of it is certified the same way a GI winch is. Some are very well engineered and made but very few are made with all the components made from certified materials and third party tested as a system.

Note that the commercial electric winches used on light GI trucks are generally outfitted with heavier hardware and wire rope than their commercial cousins and tend to be rated more conservatively than their cousins, too.

Thanks

No electric winch will come close to comparing with a PTO drive winch! The 8000# Brayden winch on my M37 will pull your electric one above, out by the roots. The 12,000# of pull that you speak of is virtually a stall speed on the bare drum, first layer of line. That is the melt down speed - literally. Try doing a serious recovery, where you are operating that thing with serious pulls...... You'll will need a new one. The line size will tell you all you need know. The military rates the PTO winches conservatively. By the time your done, you will have enough money into an electric, to pay for a real winch. Don't waste your time on an electric!

Lee in Alaska

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

OK, that is why I asked
    thanks Allen

dumpsterlandingfromorbit! gimpyrobb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,903 Times in 4,638 Posts

If you are going to use it for self recovery, I think I would hold out for the "correct" winch setup.
    Don't worry about the size difference

Thanks

Given that a M35 weighs around 13000 lbs, wouldn't you need a 20K or so winch to self-recover?

I was always under the impression that you needed approximately twice the capacity of the vehicle you were recovering including gear, etc.....I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a 12000 pounder to pull a deuce out of a real stuck. I think you'd just break it right away.
    "I'd be more concerned if it didn't leak."

1967 Kaiser M715
    1985 AM General M35A2 W/W

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,616 Posts

Given enough snatch blocks, that winch would work fine on the deuce. I'd not expect it to come close to the factory winch. It would be close with a 2 part line and better with a 3 part line. Given enough time snatchblocks and cable, one could recover a deuce with a come-a-long
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Thanks

I agree with the statements that no electric winch will work as well as the Deuce PTO winch however, I would trust a Ramsey winch like that over any other kind of electric winch and will agree that they are no slouch either. Most of the reputation that electric winches have is from planetary geared winches that are popular with the offroad crowd today. The older style worm drive winches are 10 times the winch of any of the new planetary crap. I will happily put my old Braden 8k lbs worm drive against any 15k lbs or less planetary winch any day. My winch may be slower, but it will pull until the batteries die without overheating, has a positive brake that doesn't slip or break and a positive clutch that won't break unless the main shaft breaks which is unlikely. I'd go with the stock PTO winch if possible, but in a pinch the Ramsey you have will pull the Deuce and is reliable and is well worth using. If not, send it to me, and I'll put in on the front of my Ramcharger and swap my Braden to the rear, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~Elwenil~
    Lanty A. Clemons
    Mopar Parts Advisor
    1988 Dodge Ramcharger AW450 Project
    318TBI - NP435 4 speed - NP205 - Front & Rear Dana 60s

"I am the voice of reason, in an unreasonable world."

"Ya know, offroading is for people who have more sense than money. Not the other way around." - Maddawg308

Thanks
    Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,616 Posts

Lanty makes an excellent point. The only other winch I'd consider other than a worm drive would be a spur drive like the Warn 8274. Planetary winches have their place but it's not on a heavy truck.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast