• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch

MoAllen

Hello all.
I have a m35a2 woith out winch and was thinking about adding a electric worm 12,000 winch, It is smaller in size but I use to have one on my one ton truck and it was a real puller. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts about it please.
Allen

Attachments

DanMartin

Assuming it's 24v, it should work just fine. You'll need to fab up some bracketry, and maybe scrounge up some frame extensions for the winch (like the real winch trucks have) unless you plan on hiding the winch under the frame somewhere (which would be cool).

Should be an interesting project.

LanceRobson

It should work fine within it's limitations. Don't expect it to do what a GI 10K winch will.

Unlike winches certified for overhead use, commercial self recovery winches are not regulated or certified by any gov't or third party inspections.The manufacturers can make any claim they want.

Not one part of it is certified the same way a GI winch is. Some are very well engineered and made but very few are made with all the components made from certified materials and third party tested as a system.

Note that the commercial electric winches used on light GI trucks are generally outfitted with heavier hardware and wire rope than their commercial cousins and tend to be rated more conservatively than their cousins, too.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No electric winch will come close to comparing with a PTO drive winch! The 8000# Brayden winch on my M37 will pull your electric one above, out by the roots. The 12,000# of pull that you speak of is virtually a stall speed on the bare drum, first layer of line. That is the melt down speed - literally. Try doing a serious recovery, where you are operating that thing with serious pulls...... You'll will need a new one. The line size will tell you all you need know. The military rates the PTO winches conservatively. By the time your done, you will have enough money into an electric, to pay for a real winch. Don't waste your time on an electric!

Lee in Alaska

randyscycle

Given that a M35 weighs around 13000 lbs, wouldn't you need a 20K or so winch to self-recover?

I was always under the impression that you needed approximately twice the capacity of the vehicle you were recovering including gear, etc.....I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a 12000 pounder to pull a deuce out of a real stuck. I think you'd just break it right away.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given enough snatch blocks, that winch would work fine on the deuce. I'd not expect it to come close to the factory winch. It would be close with a 2 part line and better with a 3 part line. Given enough time snatchblocks and cable, one could recover a deuce with a come-a-long

Elwenil

I agree with the statements that no electric winch will work as well as the Deuce PTO winch however, I would trust a Ramsey winch like that over any other kind of electric winch and will agree that they are no slouch either. Most of the reputation that electric winches have is from planetary geared winches that are popular with the offroad crowd today. The older style worm drive winches are 10 times the winch of any of the new planetary crap. I will happily put my old Braden 8k lbs worm drive against any 15k lbs or less planetary winch any day. My winch may be slower, but it will pull until the batteries die without overheating, has a positive brake that doesn't slip or break and a positive clutch that won't break unless the main shaft breaks which is unlikely. I'd go with the stock PTO winch if possible, but in a pinch the Ramsey you have will pull the Deuce and is reliable and is well worth using. If not, send it to me, and I'll put in on the front of my Ramcharger and swap my Braden to the rear, lol.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lanty makes an excellent point. The only other winch I'd consider other than a worm drive would be a spur drive like the Warn 8274. Planetary winches have their place but it's not on a heavy truck.

BEASTMASTER

one of my buddies sunk his duece , i mean sunk his deuce up to the running boards in a neighbors back yard ,doing him a favor,anyway i wasn't around and another buddie has this 1962 jeep fire truck with an 8000 ld ramsey on the front.well ,they chained the fire truck to a tree, and used 1 snatch block to the deuce and pulled the sucker out like i had my 5 ton hooked to it.i think the jeep is 2 inches longer now. enough snatch blocks and a good anchor and you can pull anythig.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere awhile back that electric winches are rated (by some formula) for a rolling load. PTO winches are rated for actual line pull. There is no way that 12,000# electric would pull 12,000# on a scale. First thing that would probably happen is the cable would break before you even got close to 12K.

I'm not saying electric winches are no good but you can't compare them to PTO winches.

russ81

M16TY
Your absolutely correct.
Most truck winches are rated by "rolling load." This is a very deciving testing method, since there are so many factors that can change the outcome.
"Line Pull" is the only test method that should be used to determine which winch is best for you.

MoAllen

The winch in th epic is a worm gear, I had one on a chev one ton diesel and pulled a semi up a hill. It messed my front tires up doing it.it was very slow but pulled very hard. Allen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks