• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for plastic model manufacturer comparos -

Adamlee

ALCON -

I'm trying to decide which manufacturer to pick from to build some of the more late-model US tactical vehicles and armor. Specifically, Dragon; Tamiya, AFV Club, Trumpeter, Italeri, Academy. I'm trying to figure out if anyone has done a variant of an M113, for example, and found "brand X" to have been a better/more complete/accurate kit than "brand Y".

The mil vehicles I want to build include variants of Strykers, M113's, Bradleys, M1A1's & A2's, HEMMTs, LAVs, PLS, LMTV's, as well as the older M35's/M800's/M923's/M54's.

Just trying to move away from my "comfort zone" of WW2 Armor and try my hand at some OIF-type stuff.

And can anyone recommend any particularly good (meaning: cost and service) online model shops? My local shops are few and far from me.

Thanks! Adam

Attachments

Elwenil

Good post. I'm rather curious about this myself as I've thought about getting back into doing a few models. I used to do them years ago but they were mostly Mopar muscle cars and since I can't afford a HEMTT, I figure a scale model of one would be nice to have and fun to build. It sort of sucks because I just gave away my air brush kit about a year ago. At least with MV models I won't have to worry about wet sanding a paint job and polishing it for hours on end. Anyway, I too have been sort of lost looking at the various model websites and it seems there are not many that are in the US that deal with a lot of MV models that aren't specifically WWII era. I'd love to find a few reputable shops to deal with and a few recommended kits from the modern era to build.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I too want to build several models over the winter. I picked up the WWP manual of the "M35A2 In Detail". Not worth the price I [paid but great for looking at paint selections and gun trucks. Great thing about models, is no GL bidding, no SF-97 required and no trips to the MVA to deal with state workers who need to find a job they enjoy. !! Think my first buy will be a Hemitt as well! Model that is!!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some comments on what I actually have experience with-
Add Revell to your list of manufacturers, they produce some really nice kits. Some are their own, some are reboxed kits from other manufacturers (mostly Eastern European).
Trumpeter, AFV, and Tamiya are consistently good. Italeri and Dragon are usually very good, but sometimes have a re-boxed kit that just doesn't meet the grade. Academy in general are very good, but throw an odd one in occasionally just to keep things interesting (eg, one of their M151 kits is excellent, the other is lousy).
Hobby Boss make very nice kits and they are coming out with an entire line of V100/V150s.

Specific kits-
M35 series: AFV Club have absolutely the best kits of these trucks. See this thread for more-
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=215768&highlight=#215768

HEMTT- Revell kit is very good, with the exception of the wheels. They are almost okay, but you can get nice resin replacement wheels (both tire types) from Hobby Boss and others.

M923/925: The Italeri kits are nice, but the 14.00 tires in the M923 are way too small, replacements are available from Real Model and others.

M800: Real Model makes the only kits I know of for 800 series trucks. They are resin and pretty good (for resin) but expensive! Most of the cab parts were copied from the AFV M35, most of the rest of the truck is copied from the Italeri 900 series. Since I don't like skinny resin bits (they warp and are weak), I bought an Italeri M925 and just used what I had to from the Real Model kit to convert it into an M813 (pretty much just the cab/hood/fender area).

Cheers

Last edited:

Michael

I consider AFV and Tamiya to be the best. The rest varies depending on how old the mold to make the model is.

I have bought a lot of models at Hobby Lobby. You can subscribe to their email and get 40% off coupons about once a month. They also put their models on sale about every other month. It varies from 30% to 50% off. They have a 40% off coupon this week.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/email/40.htm

For mail order I recommend:

http://www.squadron.com/

http://www.hlj.com/

Adamlee

plasitc model kits

M813rc said:
Here are some comments on what I actually have experience with-
Add Revell to your list of manufacturers, they produce some really nice kits. Some are their own, some are reboxed kits from other manufacturers (mostly Eastern European).
Trumpeter, AFV, and Tamiya are consistently good. Italeri and Dragon are usually very good, but sometimes have a re-boxed kit that just doesn’t meet the grade. Academy in general are very good, but throw an odd one in occasionally just to keep things interesting (eg, one of their M151 kits is excellent, the other is lousy).
Hobby Boss make very nice kits and they are coming out with an entire line of V100/V150’s.

Specific kits-
M35 series: AFV Club have absolutely the best kits of these trucks. See this thread for more-
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=215768&highlight=#215768

HEMTT- Revell kit is very good, with the exception of the wheels. They are almost okay, but you can get nice resin replacement wheels (both tire types) from Hobby Boss and others.

M923/925: The Italeri kits are nice, but the 14.00 tires in the M923 are way too small, replacements are available from Real Model and others.

M800: Real Model makes the only kits I know of for 800 series trucks. They are resin and pretty good (for resin) but expensive! Most of the cab parts were copied from the AFV M35, most of the rest of the truck is copied from the Italeri 900 series. Since I don’t like skinny resin bits (they warp and are weak), I bought an Italeri M925 and just used what I had to from the Real Model kit to convert it into an M813 (pretty much just the cab/hood/fender area).

Cheers
thanks for an excellent response, that is exactly the sort of detail I was looking for. I could spend all day on Armorama or some of the other modeling forums, but I figured I'd try the crew here first!

Adam

Adamlee

plastic model kits

Michael said:
I consider AFV and Tamiya to be the best. The rest varies depending on how old the mold to make the model is.

I have bought a lot of models at Hobby Lobby. You can subscribe to their email and get 40% off coupons about once a month. They also put their models on sale about every other month. It varies from 30% to 50% off. They have a 40% off coupon this week.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/email/40.htm

For mail order I recommend:

http://www.squadron.com/

http://www.hlj.com/
thanks as well, Michael!

Adam

Wolf.Dose

RE: plastic model kits

Revell also changes molds with Italeri and sometimes with Tamiya.
For example the Revel and Italeri HEMTT is excactly the same kit; I own both of them. The Revell kit is a little cheeper, at least in Germany. Sure, the wheels are not the very best ones, but the overall impresion is ok to my understanding.
Wolf

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks