• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

trailer hookup

mouse

can you plug in one of those civi harnesses for a trailer. i used the military , and i keep blowing :jumpin: the running light fuse . dont want to go out and buy one if it wont plug in .

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cant directly plug in a military trailer harness into a civy 7 pin socket, you need to make an adapter. Not hard to do, just need the parts and the pin outs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. What I did was take a military truck socket, soldered up a civilian 7 pin socket to it, and I plug the trailer into the mil socket, then the 7 pin into the civy truck. This way you can keep the military trailer wiring stock, and still be able to use the civy 7 pin plug. I dont know how to post pics on here, but if you email me at emmado22@hvc.rr.com I'll send you the picture.

fcfred

does anyone, or has anyone made an adapter so a civilian 7-plug trailer wiring harness can be plugged into a military cucv trailer plug? I don't want to change the wiring on my cucv, but i have a car trailer i want to pull with it.

thanks

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a wiring harness cable from a residue military trailer (or one that someone is going to put a civilian connector on) and cut off the connector. Wire it up to a civilian 7-pin socket and you're all set. I did the opposite so I can haul my military trailer with a non-military truck.

Barrman

I don't have a picture here at work, but I did what you are talking about. I took a M105 trailer harness from the Packard connectors to the plug. All but one of the Packard connectors had already been cut off, which is why I got the harness for basically nothing.

I have the proper wire number diagrams and list, my plug in my truck is wired correctly, but just to be sure. I plugged the harness into my truck and turned on the lights. I verified that the properly numbered wire had power with a test light. I did this with all the functions needed for a civilian 7 pin plug plus my electric trailer brakes and put new numbered tags on the wires that weren't marked. Then it was just a matter of installing the 7 pin plug, zip tying the thing so it wouldn't pull apart and wrapping it up so it wouldn't short on anything.

It is really too long, but on the 715 which has the trailer plug just inboard of the left tail light. I can plug it in, wrap it around the drivers side bumperette, over the pintle hook and then around the passenger side bumperette and still have plenty left.

I can try to get pictures tonight if you want them. You are running 12V to your trailer right? Otherwise, you will need to change out your trailer bulbs.

gasser

And the wiring in the back for taillights, etc is all GM color-coded - just like the civvys. I took a 4 plug trailer connector and spliced into where the mil trailer plug - so now I have both, working styles.

-graham

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks