• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Combat Rims

cruzinz28

I have aquired 4 M35A3 Rims for my bobbed deuce project so I can run my 14R 20 Michelin XL tires. I have two questions about these rims.

Do you have to have the counter balance weight under the rims studs and nuts to balance out the CTIS setup on the other side of the rim? I am missing one and trying to obtain it from the gentlemen I purchased the rims from.

Is there a way to eliminate the CTIS setup on the face of the rim and convert them to a typical valve stem setup?

I'm sure I will have many more questions as my project begins this weekend to bob my deuce. Oh, and if anyone is intrested I have a set of 7 M44 rims I want to get rid of since I found these A3 rims.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have to have the counter balance weight under the rims studs and nuts to balance out the CTIS setup on the other side of the rim?
Yes, but it only makes sense if you really want to maintain the complete setup including protective shield as part of a future complete system. Nice feature to have if you can find the specific axle parts and everything else related...!?

Is there a way to eliminate the CTIS setup on the face of the rim and convert them to a typical valve stem setup?
Yes, very easy! Just install a common 90ºangle Schrader truck valve stem in place.

As a side note: 14.00R20s are 49" tall and running them on A3 wheels with 10.5" backspace will give you a relatively narrow track (same as M35A3) while the center of gravity is raised at least 4" compared to a stock M35A2. So my concern would be (lack of) stability. Also some rubbing on the drag link during sharp right turns may occur.
Not sure but I think A3 wheels could be easily modified to reduce backspace to approx. 8"

G.

M1075

G.-

Isn't the tire bead different on the 14R20 vs. 14.5R20? I thought the standard tires would mount on the A3 wheel but might look a little goofy at the bead. Is that right?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I thought about it and you are absolutely right, A3 wheels are MPT specs and only 1" flange height. 14.00s should go on industrial wheels 10" wide and 2 inch flanges. But... its the same case as the 395/85s and 15.5s on OD Iron's 20x11" MPT wheels/rims: not perfect but good (and safe!) enough. Doesn't look to "goofy" for my taste, see pic. (And haven't heard anybody complaining so far...?)

Side note: The other way around 14.5s (or their metric equivalent 365/80R20s) should NOT be mounted on non-MPT wheels!

G.

Attachments

M1075

Do you know why the OD wheels are designed to be MPT when it seems most people are using them to run 15.5 or 395/85 tires?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1075 said:
Do you know why the OD wheels are designed to be MPT when it seems most people are using them to run 15.5 or 395/85 tires?
Good question! I'm sure Mike will have a similar answer: actually they weren't "designed" that way, that rim was what was available (and affordable) to build a 1pc tubeless extra wide wheel with the correct backspacing to be able to mount literally ANY 20" tubeless tire and run them singled. So far no problems, I guess.

Yes, it would be nice to have an option similar to the 5ton combats but with a 6 on 8.75" bolt pattern center-plate and 8-9" backspace or even better using a 1pc rim 10-12" wide AND 2" flange height! But go find a company willing to produce that in relatively small quantities for a reasonable price...! And then try to mount a tire like the 15.5 over that huge flange! It would necessarily have to have what they call a deep well or depression in the rim and that would sure interfere with the brake backing plate or even the drum! :roll:

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DanMartin said:
I'm running 14.50s on my OD Iron wheels. Perfect fit, and look "right" on the truck IMO.
Dan, that is THE tire size and type for a Deuce, for many reasons IMHO. And you already have the correct wheel for them, so no wonder they perfectly fit. No compromises here...!

These are my tires waiting to go on my next project, probably using Mikes wheels but with an adapted Deuce center section… still in the works!

G.

Attachments

devilman96

G I am TOTALLY ignoring everything between the words "Yes" and "price" in your last paragraph! rofl

Just like G said... cost and availability... I could do a lot of things differently with wheels, types, designs, lips, sizes, back spacing, etc... There is no limit to what can be done.. With the exception of people being able to afford them!

By the by... I have over 50 A3 wheels being delivered in the next 2-3 weeks... If anyone is interested in pre-sales to help offset my cost on these please email me.

M1075

I have 3 more deuces I need to single out. What is the price on the A3 wheels and what is current price on your custom ones?

donkdonk

devilman96 said:
By the by... I have over 50 A3 wheels being delivered in the next 2-3 weeks... If anyone is interested in pre-sales to help offset my cost on these please email me.
What will they run for a set of 4?

devilman96

Guys check your PM's... I now have payment or deposits down on all but 11 of the 50 wheels I had so if your wanting them ya might want to get a move on...

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just picked up my A3 wheels yesterday and am going to swap tires. Anybody know if the rubber O-ring needs to be replaced everytime the wheels are split or can they be reused? 3 of my wheels came with 14.5 20's (1 of them is brand spanking new) and the 4th has a Continental 365/80 R20 like G has pictured above. I already had a set of near new 12.5 R 20 XL's that I am going to use until I can afford more 14.5's. Also, do these have those big rubber bead locks in them like the Hummer wheels have? I guess I will find out when I try and break them down. I will be running them without all the CTIS parts.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After cleaning grooves, etc. O-rings may be reused together with some sealant but best if you can get new seals for little money. If not I wouldn't bother at all with O-rings and just use plenty of a good industrial grade PU adhesive/sealant. (Not to be confused with RTV sealant, pls!)

So far and for over 3 years now, I had excellent results with it and I'm confident to assemble and seal Mikes A3 wheels the same way! Dis-assembly and removing of cured sealant with a wire wheel is not a problem either!

No idea if the 14.5s on the M35A3 normally come with bead locking inserts.
All I know is that these tubeless tires allow operating at extrem low pressures without the risk of self-debeading.

G.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the info G, I just finished trying to break one down, I gave up. Tire shop wants $25/wheel to swap the tires out which seems like a pretty good deal considering the work involved and my lack of specialty tire tools. Cruzin28 I can spare one of my counterweights if you cant get one from your guy, My set was already missing one of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks