• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tulsa 20K 5T winch questions

pevrs114

Gents,

Got a screaming deal on a 20K Tulsa winch from the front of an old gasser 5T (believe it's an M139 bridging truck).

I will be attempting to adapt this as a rear winch on my M1008. It'll be a rear facing winch which I plan to mount either straight to the framerails, or to a subframe. I'm planning to flatbed the rear of the truck, and build the bed to encompass the winch. This truck will be intended to tow my CJ-7 to trailheads, recover stuck vehicles off-road, and other utility uses.

I'm piecing together a manual trans swap with a cast-iron PTO-capable transfer case, which will run the winch.

So, now to the questions.

1. Is there available, either USGI or on the civilian market, a reel-minder (cable tensioners/level-winders) to fit this winch? If so, does anyone have a good source or PN?

2. I plan to go through the winch and service/repaint it. What are the trouble spots to look for? The previous owner already told me the shear pin has been replaced (with the correct part). Where can I get more shear pins, so I can have a backup? What other areas should I pay special attention to when servicing it? Any tips for stripping/repainting it? Is there a TM for this winch? All I could find was the winch section in the 5 ton TM, which wasn't very detailed.

3. I see some extra chain sets on the pictures of some of y'alls trucks, especially wreckers. Are there special chainsets available besides the chain that is attached to the end of the wire rope?

Thanks for the help!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really can't answer any of you questions unless it is like a 45K Tulsa. I just got done installing one of them on a Kenworth.

A 20,000# winch on a m1008 is going to be way overkill. You'll pull that truck in half before you shear the pin on that thing. I know you want to use it because that's what you've got but you could destroy the truck if you hooked it to something stuck good and had it tied off to a tree or something. There was a thread on here awhile back that showed what a 10,000# winch could do to a Dodge truck (it wasn't pretty).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks