• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My BIG M925A2 Project Truck Is Home

jfnemt1ff1

Chris I might be able to put together a heater kit, I have a few in the shop I will check if you still need it. Also I will be going to Tampa at the end month if that helps we could meet so were along the trip.
John

FreightTrain

Banned
Wow,that thing ain't nearly in as bad a shape as you make it out to be.That thing is VERY restorable........but this is comming from a guy that thinks if it has 3 attached axles and a straight frame then it is not a part rig no matter what........Now what is wrong with that engine?

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
........Now what is wrong with that engine?
Chris is on the road this weekend so I'll throw in a reply....

We're not sure about the engine (even though it was kept covered up - hopefully a good sign) so the plan is to try and bar it over first. If it passes that test then we'll try and slave it to crank it over enough to see if it will turn freely and build some oil pressure. If it passes that then we'll install an injection pump and hopefully hear that sweet Cummins music that the last M923a2 made on it's first start.

Chad

lstmate

Chris,

This is your official notification that I expect you and your project in Evansville Aug 5 - 9...

Good luck savenger hunting your parts!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Need any of this?
AMTAK, yes, I am in need of a PS cooler and a fan shroud. Please PM me with a price. Thanks Steve.
Chris

LST, I am definitely planning on being at Haspin '09. Hopefully we'll have my brother's M37, the Suzuki DR-Z and the 925A2 there :D

FT, what Chad said!

John, I believe I have all of the parts I need for the cabin heat, but I may buy another setup from you for the bed. Do you have 30k and 60k BTU units? I figure a 60k would do better in the bed.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, I was thinking about adding an aux. duct that I can run out of the truck and into the pop-up shelter for warmth at the chillier SS events. Sweet, right?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also need:

M939A2 engine fan
M925/A1/A2 winch control valve

Please report what M939 series stuff you have sitting in your garage, barn, etc.... Chances are I may need it. Even if I don't for this truck, I may still buy it just to have for the next project. Thanks!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris,

This take out motor has a fan on it. :wink:

Sorry you didn't get that parts truck in VA.
Yahtzee!! Thanks Jason! Add that to my Round 2 list please. :-D Yeah, that parts truck would have supplied quite a few goodies for the project, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it. I would rather spend a little more than than that and get NOS parts. Bruce and I are doing some trading for a good, used front clip. I am hoping to get that on soon to give the engine some cover as it goes back together.

lstmate

Chris,

I was talkingabout the MVPA convention in August of next year that will be in Evansville. I would like to see a good SS showing there.

Garry

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Chris,

I was talkingabout the MVPA convention in August of next year that will be in Evansville. I would like to see a good SS showing there.

Garry
Oops, my bad Garry. I saw IN and my mind naturally went to Haspin Acres! I would like to make the MVPA show too. I've got a bunch of work to do between now and then! :shock:

lstmate

:-D Chris, Yep that you do.... Want me to send weekly or monthly reminders on how much time you have?:-D I can always store a vehicle around here for you to take to the next event..... Just trying to be helpful here!!!:-D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Garry. You're a real pal :wink:

I should have updated pics and info tomorrow night. I am leaving here around 6:45 am for Winslow's. My brother is meeting me there and we are going to get a bunch of stuff done.

I have the starter from Halftrack loaded up along with 5 gallons of oil, 5 gallons of Dexron III, some starting fluid, 2 cans of Kroil, all of my tools, my insulated coveralls, and of course, the camera.

Chad is bringing the air compressor, the torch, the genset, the torpedo heater, and all of his tools.

We are ready for battle! My hope is to get the engine turning over and building oil pressure. I also want to strip off as many parts as possible from a 939 carcass near my truck. I will post a trip report tomorrow night :twisted:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Holy cow, what a day! It's good to be home. My brother and I met at John's at a 8am. We immediately located the 925 parts donor and soaked it with Kroil to get things loosened up for later. While it was soaking, we looked over the 925A2 to make a plan of attack.

The first order of business was a liberal application of Kroil to all rusty engine fasteners. After that,, we threaded in the harmonic dampener bolts to give us something to bar against. Using a large pry bar, I was able to turn the engine back and forth about 3*. Hmm, what could be the hold up? Ah, the air compressor has been sitting without the unloader assembly on the top for quite some time. I bet the piston is rusted solid. :-x

Chad gathered his tools and set off across the yard while I began removing the power-steering pump. The bottom nut wasn't too bad to get off. The top one was only accessible by removing the reservoir. Once that was off, I began removing the air compressor. The bottom nut was in a terrible spot. It only allowed for small wrench rotation before removing the wrench and starting again. Once that was finally off, I removed the oil line, the air intake line, the coolant lines and the high pressure lines. Then, the top nut was removed. With everything removed, the compressor still wouldn't budge. Turns out it was rusted solid and the gear wouldn't un-mesh from the cam gear. A little whacking, oil, cussing, and finally it cam free.

With the compressor removed, the engine would now bar over pretty easily. :-D Satisfied with that knowledge, I went to see how Chad was doing with the parts truck. The parts truck had been swamped during a hurricane by the Dare County Sheriff's Office. That meant that everything was rusted nicely. Luckily, Chad brought his air compressor and impact tools. We tackled the windshield hinges first. Then, we snapped off the mirror bolts and removed them. Last thing before lunch, we removed the passenger seat.

After lunch, I went to work on installing the starter while Chad went back to parts pulling. Chad removed the complete instrument cluster from the donor truck along with the warning light center, switches, etc... I wrestled the starter into position, bolted it up, and them called for help.

We used a combination of a slave cable, a slave receptacle, and jumper cables to provide power to the starter. We wanted to wire the receptacle directly to the starter lugs, but the terminals were too small and I didn't have a drill so we improvised. Chad clicked the remote starter switch and.... nothing. WTF?! Turns out the ground lug on the starter was loose internally. I fiddled with it a bit and it started working. We got the engine to crank over quite a few times. We didn't have enough juice going to the starter to really get it cranking though. There was some smoke coming out of the exhaust so there is compression. After we cranked it a few time, Chad gave it a huff of starting fluid and it roared to life with a cloud of smoke out of the exhaust pipe!! Woohoo!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

So, it looks like the truck is going to live after all. Now I need to score the rest of the critical engine parts from Halftrack, like the injection pump and a dent-free oil pan. I am going back down on the Sunday after Turkey Day to work some more. Hopefully I'll get the engine running on diesel that time.

In the meantime, it's back to parts hunting! Pics and some video tomorrow after I get a chance to upload them at work.

Thanks for the parts Jason and John. Thanks for all of the wrench-turning Chad!!

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all of the wrench-turning Chad!!
Yeah and like a dummy I left the camera in the truck the whole day! :oops:

To say that the donor cab had rust issues was an understatement - I went through the cab floor in one place by the shifter tower. Luckily the surf line didn't reach the instrument cluster so we were able to save it, the warning light group, and some of the switches. Needless to say me and the soldering iron will be very good friends as we repair the cut wiring in the 925A2.

Chad

halftrack

Sounds Great Chris, I myself had a slight set back which I will post on my M936 thread. Sounds like you worked your a s s off.

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds Great Chris, I myself had a slight set back which I will post on my M935 thread. Sounds like you worked your a s s off.
Yes, the bones and muscles are weary today. My hands feel like I have been in a fight.

Setback? Oh heck, I don't like the sounds of that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks