• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

unimog brake question.

SuperJoe

what is the differences between mogs with disc brakes vs. drums? is the purpose of the disc brake trucks different or just a change in years and technology. can i replace a drum setup with a complete disk setup or are the hubs and torq tubes different. also will i have to replace the master cylinder to change the line pressure or can this be adjusted with a metering block. other things i may need to know

whats the bolt pattern for the disc (6 hole by what inch across?)
what is the stopping force rated at for discs (more or less than drums)

thanks in advance for all info available. the local guy that sells them in my area is happy to sell but stingy for info cause he wants to do the repairs himself

saddamsnightmare

October 11th, 2008.

SuperJoe:

What model or year of Unimog(s)? I believe most of the S series were 4 wheel drum brakes, and possibly the low 400 series (406 et al) also, because they were concieved of as low speed tractors, not racing machines....
If your using your Unimog the way the Unimog was designed... it will probably do all right. If you're trying to be speed racer, chances are the drums won't make you a happy man, but neither will the Unimog. The original Unimogs seem to do all right with the Mercedes brakes, they are just not modern machines in their design, which is why any squarehead farmer can fix one with very few tools.
The U1300L and U500's may be radically different animals then the older S.404's, and I am sure they must be a bit harder (and pricier to fix. In any case, more infor means more people can probably help you out on here.... the greatest collection of brain cells since Stephen Hawking.

Cheers,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S.404.114 MB
1967 Hercule MEP023A gas gen set APU

SuperJoe

i actually dont have the specifics of what model they are. i also forgot that there was so many models over the years. the questions are for a friend that has a set of axles he is planning on putting under a rock buggy. he found a set out of canada for the same price as the 2.5 ton deuce axles. i guess the weight and increased ground clearance was the big selling points. ill check with him to see if i can get specifics but are any of the parts changable? like if i have to fab brackets will the rotor at least fit the hub or should i try to mod some other type of rotors for him

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks