• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

L1A1

M561s are like m151s in that they come with a demill order. So what ever's out there is out there. The reason why (or so I'm told) was that someone was killed off roading (?) a 'Goat years ago. Their family sued the Gov't & won. The Gov't in a knee jerk reaction, decreed "no more goats to be released in anything but scrap condition". Read it in Military vehicles Magazine years ago so I have no idea if that's acurate or not but that's what I read.

Another bad thing is that while whatever's out there is out there (that part's good :)), DMVs across the Country are closing all those little loop holes that allowed us to (relativly easily) title such strange-I mean cool :p vehicles. So that in the future, if it doesn't already have a title, good luck in securing one. How many of us out there have brought a resto project (Military or Civilian) sans title before?

Matt

ThatXJGuy

I know where a few goats are hiding here in Wyoming and I was going to do some asking around and try to lay hands on one, but after reading this maybe Ill let them lay low until the apocalypse and get them then haha... :wink:

conny

Decades ago, When I had a non-profit company, I wanted to buy one of the Navy decommissioned PHM's. All were just floating at dock for years and no movement toward auctioning them off or scrapping. I sent a letter to the Secretary of the Navy explaining the situation and asked if they would put them up for auction. The reply I received basically said, "Ok." Three months later, the ships were up on auction.

I'm not saying this would work with the goats but, trying something is better than doing nothing. Takes a couple hours to type a well written letter explaining what's going on and that collectors of History are interested in them. If not entire goats going up to auction, then maybe a day/week for stripping them of parts. To quote the SAS, "Who Dares, Wins."

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Snail mail likely will not reach anyone who could make a decision because of the security provisions in place now days.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not saying this would work with the goats but, trying something is better than doing nothing. Takes a couple hours to type a well written letter explaining what's going on and that collectors of History are interested in them. If not entire goats going up to auction, then maybe a day/week for stripping them of parts. To quote the SAS, "Who Dares, Wins."
All these goats were scrapped earlier in the thread.

Any out in civilian hands are legal to own.

Gamagoat1

Decades ago, When I had a non-profit company, I wanted to buy one of the Navy decommissioned PHM's. All were just floating at dock for years and no movement toward auctioning them off or scrapping. I sent a letter to the Secretary of the Navy explaining the situation and asked if they would put them up for auction. The reply I received basically said, "Ok." Three months later, the ships were up on auction.

There is a bunch of politics involved here. These vehicles, like the m151, M561 etc. were judged unsafe by politicians not by study, to make some constituents happy. Any change will make them look bad, so......

conny

I am a retired Postal worker. The mail goes through a machine to scan for chemicals/explosives then proceeds on its way. Security does not stop the mail delivery. I write my Congressman often with no problems. Check into getting the MVPA involved. A positive attitude toward resolving this type goat issue wouldn't hurt. Most of what I've read is "can't" with no one actually trying. Asking the guy who watches over them is worthless. Needs to go to someone who can make a decision. Write Congressman first then follow the trail.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original 100+ where all hauled to Camp Gruber in Oklahoma. As far as w know they are just sitting there waiting to be used for target practice.

However they are not seen on Google Earth anymore.

Late last year the Oklahoma Forestry service did sell 15 at auction after the DLA released them for sale. 12 of them went to a scrapper. 3 went to individuals.

They do have 5 more but they are in very rough shape.

Last edited:
Did a lot not sell on GSA earlier this year? As I recall a whole bunch sold in Goldsby OK. I just acquired two from a private owner. The story on them is a guy was renting some land from the person I got them from, he was doing a recycling business. People were bringing him TVs however and so the EPA got on his case. He got the Goats because of his scrapping business. After the EPA got on him because of complaints a fire started on the property somehow and the goats were on the border of the fire and got melted. They then sat for 5 or 6 years I think, maybe more. They then were put for sale on a local classifieds. I contacted the people and they donated them to the organization I am part of.

Before all of this a family friend told me of 4 or 5 in Kane County Utah and we contacted the Sheriffs Dep. and they are owned by the government. The sheriff gave us a guys number and we called, then we got another number and called then another number, etc. Finally we talked to a guy who told us that the government could lend us the Goats and we could do whatever we wanted with them, but they reserved the right to take the Goats at any time. So we gave it up and are now waitng for them to go on auction. The guy told us if we wanted to own them that would be the best possible way to get them.

I also tried to get 4 in WY to be donated to us but they were sold and we unfortunately did not get them.

To see the story on our Gama Goat rescue:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?143421-M561-Gama-Goats&p=1754611

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks