• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

tmbrwolf

Those goats were aquired under the Forest Service FEPP program and are at the forestry center near OK city, they are still federal property. under the FEPP guidelines they MUST be returned to DRMO when they are no longer needed, (same with the HMMWV or M151 series). Can't sell them, can't cann them or do anything except turn them in, unless of course you want to see Leavenworth (of other federal prison) from the inside!
Here is a link to the FEPP desk guide that lays out the program and it's requirements that us state FEPP managers have to work by.

www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/desk_guide/fepp.html

I agree it's a darn shame but that's the way it is, I want one myself, it was the first assigned vehicle I had in the service so I have an affinity for them!

Michael

Then why don't they turn them back in? Doesn't seem like the best use of taxpayer's dollars to use them for a fence.

diesel583

OK this is how it works. State of Oklahoma Dept. of Ag. Forstery Div. got them from GSA for use as fire trucks, what you are looking at have been very well used by fire depts. all over Okla. and returned to Forestry. As stated they have to be retuned to DRMO by Federal law. The story I got was it was too expencive to haul them back to DRMO that doesn't want them in the first place. The one with the cartoon on it was placed there in 2002 by me when I worked for them.

woodywood

Private
i believe those are in goldsby, oklahoma. captain and i went there and picked up 4 5tons and a duece the groundskeeper was really helpfull and we talked to him about the goats and he said that quote"they cannot and willnot ever be sold"unquote .he also said every once in a while they send one out to the place for target practice. captain is supposed to do a thread on our very interesting trip.i didnt take any pics while i was there cause i forgot. sorry guys and gals. i will do better next time!:not worthy:

Gamagoat1

Goats for sale

Goats, Like M151's have been determined ,by some lefty, to be unsafe on the highway. They can not be sold without demilling. If you have one it's safe, for the moment. But Obama and Pelosi will have plenty to say in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bohica82

When I was in Germany assigned to 3/11th ACR(89-93) I was tasked to take the Old HEMMT wrecker to this field and move 3 Gamagoats to the range as targets down in Graf. It was a big field too. Lots of different vehicles. Although we did find out that the insulated medic covers for the rear of the gamagoat were almost a perfect fit for our high back HMMWV's which made them alot warmer for us to sleep in the back.

Militoy

When I was in Germany assigned to 3/11th ACR(89-93) I was tasked to take the Old HEMMT wrecker to this field and move 3 Gamagoats to the range as targets down in Graf. It was a big field too. Lots of different vehicles. Although we did find out that the insulated medic covers for the rear of the gamagoat were almost a perfect fit for our high back HMMWV's which made them alot warmer for us to sleep in the back.
I was also stationed in Germany - from 1973-1975. During the part of my time when I was stationed at Hanau, there were piles of M151's fresh back from 'Nam waiting to be de-milled (cut in half) for sale as scrap. The M151's had by then already suffered the indignity of having gained a bad reputation for being easy to roll over in a relatively low-speed turn. Even though the Goat has unusual handling characteristics, It is my understanding that safety wasn't the only consideration in withdrawing them from DMRO sales. My own was purchased from one of the first few public auction sales of Gama Goats. It came out of Camp Pendleton, Ca - part of a group of around 12 Goats. Several months after the auction, and likely after several similar auctions had taken place, 8 Gama Goats were spotted in active service with the Nicaraguan Army. The US government pulled the plug on the sales - and required that any future direct public sales would be of engines, trans, wheels etc., separated from the crushed or cut-up aluminum bodies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks