• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check this GamaGoat travesty

nhdiesel

:ditto: Even if you had to use 3 or 4 to build 1, it would be better than scrapping them. And so many of them look like they have pretty decent bodies!

Gamagoat1

They are an incredible vehicle! I'd put it up against just about anything, off road.
They were never in the S. asian conflict. The closest they came was to be tested in Cambodia and Teiland. Most went to Europe (Germany and England) The young mechs didn't like working on them because it wasn't "easy". I've had mine over 20 years and it's never failed me yet. It used to get a real workout.

gunhog11

Here's the interesting thing though. According to the DRMS manual, which discusses special processing of certain items and Demil requirements, such as that for M151 series jeeps; the manual specifically references M561 and 792 vehicles too. Basically, the trailer portion and a few other portions of the Gamma Goat do not have to be destroyed, yet everywhere that has them WILL NOT allow parts to be removed or the trailers sold separately (trailers do not have to be destroyed).

Here is the excerpt:

Gamma Goat Vehicles

Definition/Description
NSN 2320-00-873-5407 is for M561 cargo truck and NSN 2310-00-832-9907 is for the M792 ambulance truck.

Policy References/Authority
Item Manager Direction.

Unique Processing Information/How to Manage
Receiving:
Gamma Goats may only be received as defective property. Completely destroy body and chassis by crushing or shredding.

Components of the tractor (front or power driven) part or the Gamma Goat that are exempt from mutilation are the engine, transmission, transfer/final drive assemblies, radiator, gages (fuel, water temperature, etc.) and tires/wheels. The trailer (rear) part of the Gamma Goat is exempt from mutilation.

note: This vehicle is not applicable for processing through DLA Depot Recycling Control Points (RCPs).
Warehousing/Storage: Storage will be accomplished as appropriate for the mutilated and un-mutilated components of the vehicle.

Reutilization/Transfers/Donations:
When transferring Gamma Goat vehicles to FCAs and/or SASPs provide GSA approved SF 122/123s. These forms must contain the following certification statement:

“This vehicle is highly unusual with the unique capabilities of four wheel steering and amphibious capability. Though this vehicle is safe in and manufacture for its intended purpose, these unique capabilities could require extra operator competence and caution should be exercised in the operation and use of this vehicle outside the design specification. After completion of use, recipient will contact the appropriate GSA office for disposition instructions.”

Gamma Goats are authorized for issue to the LESO. The LESO requisition document must contain the same certification statement required for transfer as shown above.

Demilitarization/Mutilation: Gamma Goats must be processed and mutilated in a manner similar to the M-151 series vehicles.

note: On-base mutilation is required. If quantity or surveillance cost is excessive, DRMOs may request approval for off-site mutilation. The off-base mutilation approvals may be requested via e-mail to the Operations office/DEMIL office. The surveillance plan must include sufficient oversight by DRMO employees to ensure that the Gamma Goat vehicles are being mutilated.

Last edited:

4trans

IMy own was purchased from one of the first few public auction sales of Gama Goats. It came out of Camp Pendleton, Ca - part of a group of around 12 Goats. Several months after the auction, and likely after several similar auctions had taken place, 8 Gama Goats were spotted in active service with the Nicaraguan Army. .
So what if the Nicaraguan Army has them in active duty. We sell F16s to countries all over the world. What are they going to do invade if 50 some Gamma Goats thats why we have the Mk19 the A10 and the M1 the would be no match let them have them

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well fellas I can't stay out of this one!!! back when the Govt was selling off the Goat fleet.
I had the pleasure of dismantling around 35 Goats for Demil. The Demill was all parts could be pulled
off the tractor section,which I then took a sawzall and made slit cuts down the hulls and my boss then tok his Bobcat and folded the sides in and bounced it around the parking lot a few minutes and we then loaded it on his truck and hauled it away to the smelter. He only was looking for the fast money and he was selling the power plants and the aluminum scrap. I bought all the parts we pulled off the tractors and the carriers that were in nice shape. That was 20 some years ago and
I still have aloooooot of those parts. I have built several Goats up from residues using these parts. Back until about 10 years ago I worked closely with Howard Hammonds of Greenville Ky.
he was one of the biggest buyers of the Goat out of Ft.Knox + FT. Campbell Ky.
When Howard passed on his son scrapped out the whole yard.......60+ acres of every kind of MV you can imagine. I went down and tried to cut a deal to save the over 20 Goat residues and met
with a disappointing result. His son would not even consider selling them to me as he was in scrap mode and the dollars were in his eyes. I even offered him a considerable profit per unit above scrap with no success. Real sad day for me. But the bottom line is a person should be able to approach the right people within the DOD and negotiate a way for these trucks to be demilled by the purchaser with the spec.s that are in place. I have been in this hobby some 37 years now
and the "WASTE" I have witnessed would make most of you toss yer cookies but I have also seen
that if you know who can make things happen you CAN get things done that people say can't be done. Well that's my 2cents on this one, and I feel I have spoken from experience.

popacom / BILL in KY. [thumbzup]

P.S. As I said I still have quite a few parts so if anyone is building up Goats needs anything give a yell I will be more than happy to try and help you find what you are looking for!

woodywood

Private
as i recall (its been a couple of years since captain and i was there) the guy that was in charge there (cant remember his name)said that most of the goats were running when brought there and stacked up!but he was the most helpful guy ive run across i have his name and phone number wrote in a book somewhere if anyone needs it!

no1_macleod

Well fellas I can't stay out of this one!!! back when the Govt was selling off the Goat fleet.
I had the pleasure of dismantling around 35 Goats for Demil. The Demill was all parts could be pulled
off the tractor section,which I then took a sawzall and made slit cuts down the hulls and my boss then tok his Bobcat and folded the sides in and bounced it around the parking lot a few minutes and we then loaded it on his truck and hauled it away to the smelter. He only was looking for the fast money and he was selling the power plants and the aluminum scrap. I bought all the parts we pulled off the tractors and the carriers that were in nice shape. That was 20 some years ago and
I still have aloooooot of those parts. I have built several Goats up from residues using these parts. Back until about 10 years ago I worked closely with Howard Hammonds of Greenville Ky.
he was one of the biggest buyers of the Goat out of Ft.Knox + FT. Campbell Ky.
When Howard passed on his son scrapped out the whole yard.......60+ acres of every kind of MV you can imagine. I went down and tried to cut a deal to save the over 20 Goat residues and met
with a disappointing result. His son would not even consider selling them to me as he was in scrap mode and the dollars were in his eyes. I even offered him a considerable profit per unit above scrap with no success. Real sad day for me. But the bottom line is a person should be able to approach the right people within the DOD and negotiate a way for these trucks to be demilled by the purchaser with the spec.s that are in place. I have been in this hobby some 37 years now
and the "WASTE" I have witnessed would make most of you toss yer cookies but I have also seen
that if you know who can make things happen you CAN get things done that people say can't be done. Well that's my 2cents on this one, and I feel I have spoken from experience.

popacom / BILL in KY. [thumbzup]

P.S. As I said I still have quite a few parts so if anyone is building up Goats needs anything give a yell I will be more than happy to try and help you find what you are looking for!
Bill
Do you still have parts for goats still and if so PTO, Winch and mounts...antenas and mounts, carreer bearing for main drive shift. small wish list
Bill

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That federal program is a wierd one too. We (our group) currently have a deuce "on loan" from the local sheriff's office. Every time they needed it the batteries were dead, tires flat or both, now they get it with a driver, full tank and operational when they call for it. They're going to turn it back soon, and we asked about securing it through GSA Excess for our Sea Cadet program. Nope, they don't send the stuff through GSA, it will most likely go the scrap route or to Camp Grayling as a target. Its a ****ed good truck, and we'd pay the turn over fee. But no its gotta be their way. I work for the govt. but believe me, there are far too many bureaucreeps in there.

tiny

Ok here is what needs to happen, someone with lots of money buy the place to the north of the scrap yard and,
then let everyone that wants a goat or other truck know when the deployment is and get everything out in 1 night. But
we have to have a family of Mexicans living in the house to take the fall for this. or some other aliens person and family.

BIG_RED

Ok here is what needs to happen, someone with lots of money buy the place to the north of the scrap yard and,
then let everyone that wants a goat or other truck know when the deployment is and get everything out in 1 night. But
we have to have a family of Mexicans living in the house to take the fall for this. or some other aliens person and family.
We already have Ariel Photo's and other surveillance. We even have people who've cased the place. Wouldn't be hard to move all that in one night, considering the GIANT ARMY of trucks we all have at our disposal (all members of SS). I live in Canada, so I can't bring one home across the boarder :( but I could fill my trunk with parts :)

That federal program is a wierd one too. We (our group) currently have a deuce "on loan" from the local sheriff's office. Every time they needed it the batteries were dead, tires flat or both, now they get it with a driver, full tank and operational when they call for it. They're going to turn it back soon, and we asked about securing it through GSA Excess for our Sea Cadet program. Nope, they don't send the stuff through GSA, it will most likely go the scrap route or to Camp Grayling as a target. Its a ****ed good truck, and we'd pay the turn over fee. But no its gotta be their way. I work for the govt. but believe me, there are far too many bureaucreeps in there.
Swap the date plates with a POS deuce that barely runs, and turn that in instead.

scorpion6

as i recall (its been a couple of years since captain and i was there) the guy that was in charge there (cant remember his name)said that most of the goats were running when brought there and stacked up!but he was the most helpful guy ive run across i have his name and phone number wrote in a book somewhere if anyone needs it!
Hey woodywood I would be very interested in both his name and number!

scorpion6

This is all in Goldsby Oklahoma. It is the forestry department and the goats are part of the fepp program for use by the fire departments. Once turned in they can not be sold only sent to tinker air base in Ok. city to be demiled. It is a shame as I need a power plant and radiator unit for mine. The gamma goat is class cdf in the DOD so the hull is the only thing that needs be demiled, but the ok. forestry will not part them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks