• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Katrina Deuce Story - MUST READ

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Anniversary, Another BUMP.

Although this thread was bumped at the beginning of the 2018 Hurricane Season, today is the 13th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall. So, I'll bump it again.

There are many lessons to be learned in Sarge's Katrina experience. There is much for which we should all be thankful, especially the heroes who walk among us.

See Post #1 of this thread for the STORY link.

Here's a WIKI link about Katrina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just another thanks to all the faith based relief organizations that made a difference in the beginning when government was clueless....

Thanks to all the government agencies that did respond and all the heroic work that was accomplished and the long term work that was done.

What the Coast Guard did here was just plain a miracle with the empowerment in the field to make decisions and get her done.

Thanks to you Sarge and the others like you.

My regret is not to have photographed the images I saw for future preservation as proof that this could happen.....

May all those that perished be remembered and all the ones who died serving us through out the Gulf Coast.

Amen

SnowBeast428

I joined recently here and while stumbling around I found this post and read alot of the stories. Sarge (if I'm placing names right), people who do things because it's right not because they earn something out of it be it food,fame or fortune like you are the people who are angels in the flesh. It's things like that which make me want to get one of these trucks incase there's a massive blizzard here or a flood and someone needs help. Reminds me of my time when I was on the fire department and I did something I wasn't really supposed to but it felt more right than the correct way and to the victim was the right way.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I joined recently here and while stumbling around I found this post and read alot of the stories. Sarge (if I'm placing names right), people who do things because it's right not because they earn something out of it be it food,fame or fortune like you are the people who are angels in the flesh. It's things like that which make me want to get one of these trucks incase there's a massive blizzard here or a flood and someone needs help. Reminds me of my time when I was on the fire department and I did something I wasn't really supposed to but it felt more right than the correct way and to the victim was the right way.
Indeed! Sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do regardless of what the "manual" says. It is frequently when we find ourselves far beyond what the written manuals and/or rules cover that true heroism is found.

SnowBeast428

Indeed! Sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do regardless of what the "manual" says. It is frequently when we find ourselves far beyond what the written manuals and/or rules cover that true heroism is found.
The book of course has it's place and exists for a reason but there are always exceptions. I might as well tell the story at this rate it isn't to bad.

It was a cold late fall/winter/early spr- it was snow time. I was driving with my dad and heading out of town to the store when I thought I saw smoke and well... I was sort of right, it was steam. Someone had gone off the road and crashed into a house maybe a minute or so before I saw it as the people inside were having to use the other door as the front one was unable to open as the person had hit the front corner of the house which dented it slightly, amazingly that was the case yet the exterior only had little scratches. So I got out and I asked if they called 911 which they didn't as they didn't even know what happened so I had my dad do it, who blew me off when I mentioned to tell them possible heart attack. Not having tools I couldn't disconnect the battery and being young and inexperienced I didn't check as who knows if the hood would of shifted the battery or etc.

The person inside amazingly crawled out and since their car was newer had side airbags as it looked like most of the force was taken by the wooden road posts and then the rest was low energy that ricocheted off the house. I went over to them and they had no lacerations and I knelt down to her and held her hand asking how she felt and I checked for any abnormal bumps to show broken bones and i didn't feel anything and her eyes were still responsive. She was about 60-70 maybe 80 or so when I asked her and for someone that age to not even have a scratch on her was amazing as she ramped over the wooden post with a crossover which was the newer lower slung ones and continued like 20-30 feet. I got my phone and tried to call her son i believe with my phone as she couldn't find hers and got no answer and then PD showed up and i told them what happened and they basically said yeah just stay there for alil and the others on the FD and EMS came. Now pass to next week and next meeting they said come to the station next time I'm in that situation and criticized me for not saying heart attack my no broken bones thing so far. Well I was wrong on no broken bones but I was trying to do so without hurting her due to my lack of skill and the heart attack thing I told them my dad ignored me but it wasn't really taken.

Now I'm going to say they had every right rank wise, responsibility wise, and etc to complain to me I was never a full fire fighter I was only an explorer which is like probie version of probie and of course the risks and etc. But to me I saw the fear in that womans eyes and I wanna tell you, would you really be happy with yourself leaving her scared, alone, delirious with people who don't know what they're doing(Not their fault)? I stayed because holding her hand and telling her so far the situation and that I at-least tried to call her son let her calm down and be comforted for just that moment especially as you all know that feeling you get, you get focused and start calculating the situation and assessing it and basically seem like a figure of power and responsibility that they feel comforted by.

Anyways that's my story of heroism out of the ordinary and exceptions to the manual, nothing like Sarge but I guess the moral is anybody here can be a hero but remember the limits exist for a reason even if invalid in the moment.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The book of course has it's place and exists for a reason but there are always exceptions. I might as well tell the story at this rate it isn't to bad.

It was a cold late fall/winter/early spr- it was snow time. I was driving with my dad and heading out of town to the store when I thought I saw smoke and well... I was sort of right, it was steam. Someone had gone off the road and crashed into a house maybe a minute or so before I saw it as the people inside were having to use the other door as the front one was unable to open as the person had hit the front corner of the house which dented it slightly, amazingly that was the case yet the exterior only had little scratches. So I got out and I asked if they called 911 which they didn't as they didn't even know what happened so I had my dad do it, who blew me off when I mentioned to tell them possible heart attack. Not having tools I couldn't disconnect the battery and being young and inexperienced I didn't check as who knows if the hood would of shifted the battery or etc.

The person inside amazingly crawled out and since their car was newer had side airbags as it looked like most of the force was taken by the wooden road posts and then the rest was low energy that ricocheted off the house. I went over to them and they had no lacerations and I knelt down to her and held her hand asking how she felt and I checked for any abnormal bumps to show broken bones and i didn't feel anything and her eyes were still responsive. She was about 60-70 maybe 80 or so when I asked her and for someone that age to not even have a scratch on her was amazing as she ramped over the wooden post with a crossover which was the newer lower slung ones and continued like 20-30 feet. I got my phone and tried to call her son i believe with my phone as she couldn't find hers and got no answer and then PD showed up and i told them what happened and they basically said yeah just stay there for alil and the others on the FD and EMS came. Now pass to next week and next meeting they said come to the station next time I'm in that situation and criticized me for not saying heart attack my no broken bones thing so far. Well I was wrong on no broken bones but I was trying to do so without hurting her due to my lack of skill and the heart attack thing I told them my dad ignored me but it wasn't really taken.

Now I'm going to say they had every right rank wise, responsibility wise, and etc to complain to me I was never a full fire fighter I was only an explorer which is like probie version of probie and of course the risks and etc. But to me I saw the fear in that womans eyes and I wanna tell you, would you really be happy with yourself leaving her scared, alone, delirious with people who don't know what they're doing(Not their fault)? I stayed because holding her hand and telling her so far the situation and that I at-least tried to call her son let her calm down and be comforted for just that moment especially as you all know that feeling you get, you get focused and start calculating the situation and assessing it and basically seem like a figure of power and responsibility that they feel comforted by.

Anyways that's my story of heroism out of the ordinary and exceptions to the manual, nothing like Sarge but I guess the moral is anybody here can be a hero but remember the limits exist for a reason even if invalid in the moment.
No one can judge what was done in the moment if they WERE NOT THERE. Those who do choose to be so judgmental, according to the Bible, will be judged likewise.

You did well following your instincts... or was it the leading of the Holy Spirit. Have you considered that you might have the gift of compassion more so than that of EMT? It's something you might want to ponder.

SnowBeast428

No one can judge what was done in the moment if they WERE NOT THERE. Those who do choose to be so judgmental, according to the Bible, will be judged likewise.

You did well following your instincts... or was it the leading of the Holy Spirit. Have you considered that you might have the gift of compassion more so than that of EMT? It's something you might want to ponder.
I wouldn't say more than an EMT but maybe I still had that wanting to save everyone mentality. I think they just are used to following regulations and sort of just used to it. I care for people to the point of risking myself for them I don't deny it and sometimes I ask myself "Was there more I could of done?" and your question is something I should ponder again.

There have been moments where I feel like I don't have the gift yet other times I do. Now about the question about the holy spirit, I'm not super religious but I believe in God and Jesus in my life even if I rarely talk about them or don't go to church. When I was on the FD sometimes it felt like someone else was there at the scene and it always made me feel like we're the angels that people wish for in those moments and we're the answers he gives to their prayers for saving. Sometimes I've done thing of care and help that I felt like it was just coming to me from something other than myself as I didn't really think during it so if it was the holy spirit then I'm glad they trust me to carry out their tasks.

I feel like however that I will never know the truth in it's entirely on its matter but alas maybe those truths are best hidden for I may not be ready to face them.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Twice I have been first on the scene to a bad accident. Both times some of the first responders had their holier than thou d1ck attitude. Both times all I did was keep the victim immobile and calm. One was covered in blood from a head lac and the second was trapped.

My question to the d1cks. What would you want someone to do if it were your loved one?

I still think of two things when it comes to Katrina. Being there for two trips and Sarge and his trip. Mine were eventful and interesting but not at Sarge's level. No how, no way.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read Sarge's story back in 2005 and it motivated me to purchase a Deuce. Which I kept for a couple of years. Then sold it and went with CUCV's.

14 years and several CUCV's later... I find myself with a deuce, again.

Sarge is the best. I exchanged a couple of emails back in 05/06, thanking him then.

Just as I would thank him now.

Hey, John, my current deuce was delivered today. Got me to visit SS which is a first for quite a while.

Drop me an email

jim

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read Sarge's story back in 2005 and it motivated me to purchase a Deuce. Which I kept for a couple of years. Then sold it and went with CUCV's.

14 years and several CUCV's later... I find myself with a deuce, again.

Sarge is the best. I exchanged a couple of emails back in 05/06, thanking him then.

Just as I would thank him now.

Hey, John, my current deuce was delivered today. Got me to visit SS which is a first for quite a while.

Drop me an email

jim
Welcome back to the forums, Brother! Congrats on the new green iron toy.

Indeed. Let's get in touch.

John

Jeepsinker

The eye went right through my town. Major destruction. They're saying it will take a month to get the grid back up. I'm flying home from Korea for a couple weeks to assess damage, do cleanup, and make sure Erika has a running generator and enough fuel to get her through until power is restored.
Apparently our mep-003a isn't running well and keeps shutting down.

I hope a tree didn't fall on my deuce.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The eye went right through my town. Major destruction. They're saying it will take a month to get the grid back up. I'm flying home from Korea for a couple weeks to assess damage, do cleanup, and make sure Erika has a running generator and enough fuel to get her through until power is restored.

Are you flying in to IAH? PM me

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Prayers UP for you, your family and home, and for your travels.... Vaya con Dios! (Go with God!)

It's appropriate to mention that today also happens to be the 15th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina's landfall at New Orleans. Here's the History Channel's THIS DAY IN HISTORY article on it....

John

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm BUMPing this thread on the 16th anniversary of Katrina's landfall in 2005.
Here's a link to the HSITORY CHANNEL's "THIS DAY IN HISTORY" daily journal about Katrina....

As Hurricane Ida is expected to make landfall today in the same region of the Gulf Coast, it should be a timely reminder to read Sarge's epic story.

May God bless and protect everyone in Ida's path.
AMEN.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks