• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Katrina Deuce Story - MUST READ

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sarge's story got me into MVs

I sent this to a few friends. This is one of the best stories Ive ever read and has made me think twice about selling the deuce.
This guy is a real hero!
Sarge's brave tale is what made me want a deuce. I ran across the story and found this site in late 2005 after recovering from Katrina and Rita. I lurked for several years, and after Ike and Gustav in 2008, I decided it was time to jump in, join SS and buy a deuce. It came in handy cleaning up downed trees and hauling debris left over from Gustav.

I remember reading this story not too long after Katrina. It really was a selfless thing for him to do, especially in his condition.

I was in Bogalusa (about 60 miles north of N.O.) working at the local hospital at the time. I remember at first the LA National Guard out of Hammond came in about 3 or 4 days after the storm, but were quickly replaced by a unit from the PA National Guard. They used the old YMCA gym there as their HQ, right across from the old NG Armory in Bogalusa.

Got to talk to several of the men and officers from PA, they seemed like good guys. We even had physicians and other allied health care givers drive in from North Carolina, Virginia and other states to help out. Lots of people just showed up to help.

It was truly an experience I won't ever forget.

LC

deuceaid

Banned
This is a good story. You could almost make a movie out of it.

why not make a movie out of it..... if a movie can be made about an old guy riding his lawn tractor to se his family across the country, why not this??????

I think a lot of SS people could staff up the set...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read Sarge's story not long after joining the SS site. I went down there as well and although it was the worst devastation I have ever seen my story doesn't come close to his. I do remember seeing HEMTTs our first trip and being in a military controlled FEMA camp during the second trip.

As soon as we headed south out of Meridian, MS there were trees down along the interstate all the way to NO. No government could have made it to the area sooner with ground personnel.

I wrote my trip up as well but only shared it with a few friends.

Sarge did good.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that was by far the worst time in my life. i cannot describe all the hardships that many had to endure in the weeks after the storm. i missed 4 days of work trying to get fuel. food and a cheaper running generator for my family. 9 hours in line to buy 10 gals of gas is a reality check for sure. we ran on generators for 18 days. the owner of my company told the pay role dept. to pay eveyone full 40 hours that week. that was nice of him. i then spent many weeks down in new orleans repairing the buildings that were damaged. sarges brave tale is one that shoud be told and retold so that everyone knows that there are still angles out there just wanting to do the right thing. unselfish acts like his should not be forgotten. 2cents

M715VFD405

Wow.... I have to say this is a story I will pass on to others it really does restore some faith in me that we as a people can help each other no matter the cost to our selves.....

wsucougarx

Funny you should post on this thread. I was thinking about this story a couple time today. Got to thinking about preparation for the incoming winter season and wondering what the next natural disaster was going to be.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't thinking about it but I did see Sarge this evening so I thought of him so I guess that counts. Sort of.

goatijoe

I for one must tip my hat to this man for what he did. I know what he saw and went thou with that I was hauling fuel in and out of a lot of places for anyone that called needing it. I was stared down more times than i wanted to. I saw things that still haunt me to this day of stuff that i saw down there they would not dare to put on the news.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks