• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar gone Wrong

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I took these pictures back in 2002 when a Virginia National Guard or USAR was going too fast for conditions and because he was towing without hooking up the brakes on the towed truck because they were caged in the quick stop he had to make these are the results. M915 towing an M915 right outside of Fort Belvoir Virginia.

We towed M915's thousands of miles without accident in my units but most of them used our red Arrow Fifth wheel towing device which is what every truck company needs

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
ouch that picture hurts. I took those after I got a call from the SGM he knew I alway carried my digital camera and he whisked me out to the scene did that break happen to you Bjorn?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
..... did that break happen to you Bjorn?
Yes, I installed them incorrectly and the bar broke as we tested it around the yard, which was very uneven. There were extra parts around, so after replacing the broken towbar everything was ready for the long tow home...

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a great shot I sure hope to swing down your way when I finally get home. I got good news today as John was looking over my M109 and found it was overhauled in 2004. He said it looks to be a very nice truck. Hopefully it won't need a towbar in quite a long while.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, maybe you'll need one to tow another. :)

You are always welcome to stop by, you have had, at least one part in the restoration of the 757, the BO head light assy.
One day I'll make a list of all the steelsoldiers, who has had a part in it, starting with James (M1075), who posted an image of it.

sprucemt

This is one of those post's that should be a sticky. Just for those that think that their trucks, tow bars, brakes and they themselves are invincible.

M1075

David-

Thanks for posting those towbar pics. :shock: The damage to the towbar is impressive, especially given that it is the non-adjustable medium/heavy towbar, not the commonly available adjustable medium one. The medium is rated for up to 40,000# though.

Wolf.Dose

According to my understanding of the statement, the towed truck was not linked to the towing vehicle brake system. Thats why they have the couplers in front. In case of an emergency braking , means some locking wheels (no ABS awailable) on the towing vehicle, it will lose the straight forward direction. The towed vehicle follows the rear end of the towing vehicle and goes somewhere according to physiks. So be happy it did not happen more.
A reason might be, that (also in Germany) the people are not aware of the danger of unbreaked 9 or 10 tons behind the towing vehicle. A special risk group are those people based on farms. They usually do use their trailers with insufficiant brakes and do not care for the load capacity. I do not want a intercontinental war on this, for German farmers are the same risk group. My experiance tells me, that in other countries the farmers behave the same way.
If the towed vehicle would be supplied with air and a person would have been in it and so could have served the brakes, this must not have happend.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks