• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"2 1/2 Ton Ammo Loader"

Boatcarpenter

I have seen these advertised for sale and seems as though it would be a nice device when loading heavy items when no tractor etc. available. It seems as though the membership of this Forum have tried about every item ever made for these rigs but I've never seen mention of an ammo loader.

Any experience one way or the other with one? If so, what holds the thing to the bed?

Thanks

Are you are talking about the frame and beam arrangement that has a chain fall on an I beam over the bed of the truck? The framework is bolted to the bed of the truck. This was more often used on a truck assigned to the maintenance section (motor pool) of a unit (especially a unit that did not have a wrecker) rather than for handling ammo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've mostly seen them referred as a bomb hoist. They are somewhat prehistoric in design but work very well. The chainfall is unique to the kit so make sure the chainfall works if you buy a kit. I've see a half dozen or so on GL in the last year. Several were at JAX NAS FL.

SixBuy

I want one! Like Boatcarpenter said, "What holds it to the bed?"
And has anybody seen the cargo hoist A-frame kit for the front end of w/w M35s? It's listed in the accessories section of the manual; looks useful!

That hoist unit was usually authorized to the motor or maintenance section of a unit. My motor section was authorized one for one of our dueces untill they updated our MTOE and we swapped the dueces for 5 tons. We were then authorized a wrecker and no longer needed the hoist unit. The hoist was bolted to the truckbed, holes were drilled if necessary.

Dieselsmoke

There's a photo in the latest Military Vehicles Magazine, you can see it in the background. I think it might have been under the Weare Rally? I'll check later (magazine's in the house).

Boatcarpenter

Hey thanks. Now I better understand how the device works and attaches. I have located two about 3 hours away and will be taking a look soon. One is complete kit still in the crate and the other is assembled and used but is missing the hardware to attach it.

rdixiemiller

Boatcarpenter said:
Hey thanks. Now I better understand how the device works and attaches. I have located two about 3 hours away and will be taking a look soon. One is complete kit still in the crate and the other is assembled and used but is missing the hardware to attach it.
If you get a price on them, give me a PM. I am looking for one for my truck.

Boatcarpenter

I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more. The fella with the two near me is away for a few days but I'll talk to him when he gets back. The picture I used was from an ad in the last one or two MV mags. That one was $450.00 OBO.

Boatcarpenter

If you go to the Technical Bulletin section and open TB9-4910-492-30 which is the installation instructions for the loader it will give you an idea of what you have to go through. I have no idea what it weighs though, so one might need another chainfall and a big tree to get the damn thing in and out of the deuce. I'm hoping to find out all about them in the next week or so.

Boatcarpenter

Yes, I believe that one can use it along with the chainfall to hoist one end of a vehicle that weighs up to the limit of the chainfall. One spec I read is 2500 lbs.. Someone else told me 2 1/2 tons. Don't really know.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't find TB 9-4910-492-30, does anyone have a link?

Also, does anyone know if that includes any exploded diagrams for the hoist/trolley mechanism?

I have one of these and need to rebuild the hoist portion.

Thanks

C

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks