• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater Install

spentshell

Well I am just about finished with my heater install, hooked up power today and everything works well. I just have the heater hoses left which leads to some confusion, there are two hose barbs toward the upper radiator hose, should I use these or is it better to use the plug off the side of the water pump? BTW the driver side defroster ducting hookup is a PITA.

Attachments

Jake0147

The short story is that you have to use the right holes or you'll bollox the whole thing up.

The longer story is on this forum at least several times, but I'm pretty inept with the search engine... You'll either have an inoperative heater in one set of wrong holes, or in another set of wrong holes you'll have a cooling system that never allows the engine to heat up, thus rendering useless all of your efforts to defrost the windshield.

If the pipe plugs are frozen like mine were, in such that you think you're gonna break your brand new eight point socket or round the corners over, try this- It worked exceptionally well for me. Warm the engine to operating temperature. Then they come out easy. Then crack the plugs loose half a turn or so. DO NOT remove the plugs. They are under pressure, and even if they were not you still are more than likely looking at serious burns. Just loosen the plug until you see the first drop of coolant. Then walk away.

jatonka

Heater install

I agree 100% with OPCOM's advice to you, as far as the shut off barb location, he is right on the money. Engine will warm up and heater will work. Use a winter front to help the situation, one should have come with your heater kit,No? JT out

spentshell

RE: Heater install

I bought the winter cover seperate, also another good deal.The mounting plate worked like a charm, real heavy duty.Thanks JT.
The hoses should be installed soon, I went with the green stripe hose its a little more heavy duty than standard heater hose.
Bring on the cold !

jatonka

heater install

Yeah Scooter, better move the front one to the plug in the water pump above the alternator. It will work better. Bleed the heater after you are done to get the air bubble out. You;ll be good to go. JT

TommyG45

RE: heater install

Pictures of the heater hose hook up is exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys for posting the pics and the other links.

Now that you have heat, why don't you just go ahead and drive that bad boy to cleveland and let me use it for the winter. lol

Thanks every, this was very helpful, even for the after market route I am taking.

Tommy

TommyG45

RE: heater install

Does anyone know off hand what the pipe thread sizes are for the heater hose connections to the engine? I never looked that close on mine, but I am sure there are plugs in there. I am going to check out McMaster Carr to see if I can locate the valves.

Thanks

Tommy

Capriceii

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say thank you this was a big help.. Here are some more pics of my install. To help every one out.

Attachments

Capriceii

I do have one question.. where did you get power for the blower circuit? I got mine from under the hood, but there is power all the time, I really want it after the master switch. Where is the best location to get it from?

Thanks!

eddiec

Here is a good question. Does anyone have the optional heater intake scoop? No, not the one that goes into the hood side panel. I am looking for the one that goe in the small triangle piece under that. I have somehow misplaced mine, and left my spare on the duece I sold. If someone has one, but does not want to sell theirs, could I please have measurements. I have the inner elbow but no scoop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks