• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Carolina Weighted Tag for Deuce

tarheel

like ken said, antique tag is cheaper. i run a transporter tag on mine, only 15 bucks a year, just dont get caught hauling any loads!!!!!!!!!

CGarbee

The application form for the TP tag does not have any restriction on hauling loads... It only states that a person who owns a truck 25 years old or older is said to be in the business of collecting antique trucks...
You can haul a load with a TP tag.

However, if you are hauling commercially, on a routine basis, I would suggest that you get a commercial tag (not the non-commercial weighted one) as it will make things "smoother" if you should happen to have a conversation with a LEO. If running either a commercial or weighted tag, you'd want/need to declare enough weight to cover the truck, the load in the bed, and the weight of the trailer and its load...

The TP tag is your lowest cost option if you are just running around enjoying the truck as a hobbiest...

If you have other questions about the NC title/registration/tag process, either post them here or PM me (if you'd prefer) and I'll try to help. I've also got some info on my website concerning the process.

MDSA

weighted tag

Same thing here. I checked at the Morganton tag office when I registered my Deuce a year ago, and the manager said he has an antique fire truck that only has an antique tag on it. Unless you're running abusiness, the antique tag is all you need.

Brian

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
RE: weighted tag

Cabell is the gurue

I had to get weighted plates, every DMV will tell you something differnt. Neil didnt have to at a differnt DMV. I wanted custom antique plates . They said I can get them after I have my weighted plates. Out of state title and 20K weight cost me 394.17 . Told me I didnt have a choice.

CGarbee

RE: weighted tag

Oh, I forgot in my earlier post: You can only get the TP tags at either the Charlotte or Raleigh DMV offices, you cannot get them from one of the contract tag/title locations (ie: everywhere else in NC...).

metrobus

NC Tag for Deuce

I did some phone research today with the NCDMV, both locally, and at Raleigh, and inquired about weighted tags, transporter tags, antique tags, etc. What I have come up with is 1. you can get a transporter tag for $14.00, but the DMV requires a million dollars of either " garage or Cargo" insurance. 2. Antique tags are still charged like weighted tags, and 3. You could call ten different DMV locations and get ten different answers. Since the SF97 states that the deuce weighs 13400 lbs empty, I'm assuming that you have to get a weighted tag for at least that much, plus whatever you expect to haul, in case the DMV terrorists decide to weigh your rig. I plan on adding five thousand lbs to the dry weight (2 1/2 tons) and tag it @ 18400 lbs. I welcome any input from fellow North Carolinians who have dealt with the NCDMV before me.

Thanks again,

Barry

jblack6527

RE: NC Tag for Deuce

I haven't dealt with the DMV personally, but I just received my SF-97 last friday and am going soon to tag mine. I am interested in what everyone has to say about this, as almost $400 is a little more than I had budgeted for a tag.
Metrobus, I see you're from Asheville, we should meet up sometime and compare Deuces, I'm just down the road in Weaverville.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial

I would suggest you do your home work. C Garbee Is the man to talk to on here but here is what I did for the antique tag.
#1 went to my local tag office .They are very good at what they do here. They gave me a local DMV # for the inspecter.
#2 the officer came to my house,checked out the truck and took down the numbers he needed.
#3 He came back with the figures for fees and taxes and such. I wrote him a check for $160.00. He took my out of state title. Gave me a temp tag.
#4 10 days I had my regular old tag, I took it to the tag office and swaped it fo an antique tag.$10.00 and 5 days.
#5 About 5-10 days later I recieved my clear N.C. title

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR

I "had" to get weighted plates , and he told me I should get them for 23,030 lbs , and I did.

Goodluck with the russian rulette

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
No matter what anyone says if you dont go into your local DMV or tag office with proof of the stuff Cabell says they arent going to do anything but what They think should do. NC will give you a differnt story at each one you go to. Its like they make up there own rules.
Neil and myself were in the same boat but he got Antique plates and I had to get weighted... I didnt go in there with a copy or the "laws", I wish I knew better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks