• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL ads disappeared...did I miss something?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have noticed for a few days (possibly longer) that the GL ads no longer appear in the top left hand corner of the screen. Did GL pull their ads?

halftrack

Like we didn't see that happening. Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Or they figured out what we knew all along. That they are the only source for surplus trucks and they don't need to advertise.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You mean no more insightful answers from Robyn?....what will I do now?

Another $100.00 is on the way Mike ;)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed.... but it was a substantial about of funding for the site that is now gone.
So your saying they dropped their adds? They no longer will be offering any support on the site?

mangus580

I can say they certainly wont be offering any support anymore. The ads are up in the air still, but I am about 95% sure they are gone as well.

sprucemt

Hadn't even noticed that. But I have noticed a glitch in the standard banner ads not loading/showing. Just two blank grey spots, one light grey, one dark grey, no pic. Sometimes they show, sometimes they don't.

HeadWizard

Re: RE: GL ads disappeared...did I miss something?

mangus580 said:
Mebbe they decided that with all the complaining here, that their $ wasnt very well spent.
...and if that was their reasoning, it only confirms what many of the complaints were about.

Successful, quality businesses are willing to listen to their customers and adjust their practices so that legitimate concerns are addressed so that the reasons for the concerns do not happen in the future.

Monopolies and businesses that lack vision are normally unwilling to confront their own shortcomings. They offer their customers a "take it or leave it" customer service policy and are unwilling to adapt.

EVERY GL site manager is aware that SS members make up a good portion of their client base. If upper management cut off their advertising on SS because they got their feelings hurt, well.... see above. :roll:

mangus580

sprucemt said:
Hadn't even noticed that. But I have noticed a glitch in the standard banner ads not loading/showing. Just two blank grey spots, one light grey, one dark grey, no pic. Sometimes they show, sometimes they don't.
I have not seen that (and I move the page alot :wink: )

do you run any type of firewall protection on your computer? Some of them will block advertising.

sprucemt

Just recently. I will assume it started when you changed the GL ad. No changes on this end and have always been able to view the banners ads and GL ads, no problem.

mangus580

sprucemt said:
Just recently. I will assume it started when you changed the GL ad. No changes on this end and have always been able to view the banners ads and GL ads, no problem.
Nothing has changed that would have caused it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tell you what Mike you can tell them I spotted the two last trucks I bought on the banner and would not have bid on them had they not been on my favorite site. Sure they may find more for the money advertizing on a Sultan's harem page since he has so much money to spend but we are some of the most loyal customers. Do we need to call them and ask them to return?

halftrack

westfolk said:
halftrack said:
That they are the only source for surplus trucks and they don't need to advertise.
I don't know about that. Federal excess and the state of PA has been supplying alot of trucks to me.
And I am Very, very, very, and more very happy for you and all those in the Great State of PA. Now if you can only move them closer to me. :)

54reo

Sorry to see the site lose out on revenue.

I would think the current economic situation may have more to do with GL cutting back expenses. If they were looking to downsize the advertising budget, the amount of their gross sales that are to the enthusiast is probably very small compared to larger dealers.

Just a thought.

This will undoubtedly leave a large hole in the SS budget as well. Unfortunate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks