• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL ads disappeared...did I miss something?

No.2Diesel

There are drug dealers, bookies, pimps, & madams that have more integrity & honesty in their buisness transactions than GL! [thumbzup] I won't miss there presence or lack of enthusiasm towards solving problems. They foolishly thought they could get away with having minimal human interaction on an MV message board! :shock: F those MF'ers :D

If a fundraiser is necessary or if this has to become a subsricption type membership, I really wouldn't mind. It would: "weed out all the non-hackers that don't have the gear to serve in our beloved corps." :mrgreen:

I always cheer for bad economies........Its easier to buy Sh*t!! especially as it pertains to MVs. The price of scrap has plummeted making it easier to obtain a surplus MV that is intact. There is less incentive for idiots to snip MVs into little pieces.

Thanks for letting me share my opinion.

ragedracer

I agree that Robyn was less than helpful. And there is a lot of bashing here about GL. I would guess that most, if not all, is well deserved. I participated in it. The sales event I participated in was horribly mishandled. If Robyn had really been here to learn and listen, that never should have happened.

That said, I would have no problem with this going to a subscription site. I will be contributing some $ either way, but why not set it up like CK5? Only paying members can search and see photos and what not.

rr

ragedracer

54reo said:
ragedracer said:
Only paying members can search and see photos and what not.
Interesting concept
The photos are the biggest thing, I would think. I'm an admin on a small local board, and it seems that they are what burn up the most bandwidth. Since SS requires you to use their bandwidth to post/view pics, this would seem to make sense. Why let freeloaders (which, admittedly, I am right now) view and upload those for free?

rr

mangus580

sprucemt said:
I would think that like any other business that relies on advertising for income, Chris and Mike will be out selling advertising.
Sounds like a great plan Don... are you buying? Last I knew, we charged way too much!

area52

I would like to have the classifieds a pay per view area. Every time I put an ad on the classifieds here, some spammer always sends me crap.

I would gladly pay to be a member and on the topic - good riddance to the GL ads.

Flea

I'm sure you guys have, but...

Have you considered marketing some ad space toward some different companies... something relevant but perhaps not MV-specific? Northern Tools, for example, is a place I frequent much more often now that I have the truck.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, I like the Northern Tool idea, and I especially like the NAPA idea. Other applicable vendors might include Harbor Freight (yeah, I know, buy American, but I'm addicted to their cheap hydraulic equipment ;)), TP Tools, GM Parts Direct, and LMC Truck Parts. I learned about the existence of those last two through word-of-mouth in the CUCV forum quite recently.

ssgtwright-usmc

I like the ideas from above also.
I also think we should try and contact the folks we have added in the (Resource/Link) tab.
Another thing to look at is maybe, and this is a big maybe but worth a try anyways.
Since this is a Military site then why dont we try getting the 5 Military services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard) to advertise here.
Their are 5 Active duty services and 5 Reserve services which brings it to a total of 10 we can try and get to advertise here for recruiting purposes.
Its a thought so it wouldnt hurt to try.
Hell, its the Goverment, they have the money to bail out the banks so they must have money to advertise here!
I wouldnt mind seeing a advertisement here saying (Be, all that you can be in the ARMY RESERVE) even if I was a Marine.
Again, its a thought and a idea but lets see some of our tax money support this site if we can.

Mike_Pop

I would like to know how much it actually costs to run this site. I don't mind paying for a service but if it is going to line the pockets of the administrators instead of providing knowledge for the hobby, then I would question it. No offense to the administrators, everyone is allowed to make a buck. However, the purpose of this site is to share info.

Bill W

Yeah there might be alot of complaining here about GL's bumbling BUT there is also a lot of GL buying here too.

ssgtwright-usmc

mangus580 said:
I can say they certainly wont be offering any support anymore. The ads are up in the air still, but I am about 95% sure they are gone as well.
What 95% are you talking about as being gone?
I mean, are you 95% certain GL wont be coming back to advertise or 95% certain that any and all ads are up in the air and may be gone soon?
Can you please be a little more specific because now Im under the impression that SS is losing 95% of its advertisment here now.

ssgtwright-usmc

Thank you Chris for the clarification!
I was about to be in shock if Mangus meant we are losing 95% of the advertisement here.
That would not have been a lost but a tragedy!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks