• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junker to Jewel pics - diamond in the rough...

badassissimo

Hey, Thanks guys! Here's a photo-collage I made a while back of it. I hope it is big enough.

I'm on to new projects, but I still have a big 40,000 lb. spot in my heart for the big guy.

I'm still around here checking up on my buddies Leonard Jones and Stalwart, so I'm not gone yet!
sorry, still learning. This truck.

armytruck63

Hey srodocker, what kind of wood did you use for your troop seats? Mine are fiberglass, but I want to make new wood for my headache rack. Thanks, Matt

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTT for those who are newer to the site. Got any vehicles you restored that started off as moose turds that you turned into the Mona Lisa?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Wow Rory. I had forgotten or never heard yours was a target hull. Amazing come back.

Somehow I also missed the question a few post up about one of my other addictions. British cars. No, no Cobra. That is a 1957 MGA. My wife wants it to be her daily driver some day. I convinced her it needed a real engine. Since the original British stuff was trash, the wood floors were gone and all. There is now a 1962 Corvette 283 V8 under the hood with a 1989 Camaro T5 behind it. Work has been stopped for a few years because of my Green Iron addiction. Actually, I got a really nice M35 hood from Warthog in February of 2009. It is all painted and ready to go on the Gasser M35 to finish that truck out. It is sitting on the MGA now with M35 cargo covers, a cab cover, a M105 cover and a M101 cover. You really can't see the MG anymore.

Here is the M35 Gasser with the a non drop side bed and the entire truck the same color. I took both M35's to a boy Scout parade a year ago.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, your gasser came out really nice. [thumbzup]

And it is much appreciated that you come so far to take part in events with not one, but TWO deuces!

The V's life as a target was not an easy one, she got hit several times. There were cannon sized holes through her nose, right side, and back. Lots of bullet and shrapnel strikes here and there inside and out. One was to the power plug holders for the intercom, that was entertaining to fix.
I left a hint of the scars if you know where to look, they are part of her history.

Cheers

Metternacht

I nominate Zout's Current Jeep Project. And the M37 Ambulance he is Doing with Papabear and CAMO.
That man can make rust reform into metal. Maybe we can get them to post up a few pics.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good save of the V-100, Rory! I'm surprised it wasn't in worse shape from being out on the range. How were you able to get it from the military range? Do they sell them as scrap?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was bought off the range as scrap metal, and thats basically what it was. I wasn't involved in that and don't know all the details, unfortunately.

Another chap bought the hulk and welded up all the holes, then rebuilt the engine, transmission, and axles to 0-hour condition. He also gathered loads of spare parts.
He gave up on the project for financial reasons and it sat for a while, at which time I got involved and brought it on up to its current state (which took almost 3 years!).

I don't have any pictures of it as originally recovered, though I wish I did. With luck they might show enough for me to establish its Army identity number, which I have thus far not been able to do. With that number, I might be able to pick it out of period Vietnam photos.
Much of what I know of its history is from the hull number, which you had to give Cadillac Gage when you ordered parts since the V production run didn't use mark numbers.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks