• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Truck

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry no pic.
I am not sure if the AF had the M880 series trucks.
The M880 series were tactical trucks, (barely)
They did have plenty of Dodges of that era though, mostly 4 door.
Most AF trucks that stayed on base were painted Strata Blue
I have never seen a M880 series truck that wasn't green to start with.
if it were AF the reg # would not start with NG, it would start with the year 76 or 77
I have seen M1008's in 3 color camo that were AF
Markings on the door
U.S. Air Force
77K xxxx
For Official Use Only

nattieleather

Yeah they had them.... generally they were OD with the airforce writting on the doors. What I'm looking for is the air force OD color number. I've seen USAF trucks that are an OD color different than the regular OD. They are not 34079 forest green, they are not USMC forest green and they are not CARC green either. To my eye they look like a slightly darker shade of WWII319. Was hoping the wise members of this board would have the answer for me.

N1265

I am not 100 % sure, But I think the color you are looking for is 34087 from the FS595A color chart.

( there is some questions of accuracy with some of the OD colors in some charts )

Also, ( FYI ) I have seen a picture on the web of a M886 that was painted in a OD color That was sitting on an air field....The picture was of a current restoration of a Truck that was for sale, But I am not sure how accurate the owner was to getting the color historically correct. I do not remember seeing A.F. markings on it, But it was OD and had the white box with red cross on it.

Hope this helps....

N1265

I am not sure of the actual number on this truck, The paint is pretty faded,

I would suggest going to a serwin-williams store and asking to see their FS595A color chart ( sometimes called a fan deck ) and then try looking at
# 34087 The colors will look a lot better and it will be easier to tell what color you need.

also, Its a long shot, But seing how this is an ad on Craigs List you might be able to e-mail him and ask him if he knows the color number, He may also be able to give other information. If you are really lucky, he may have found the build sheet tucked in the seat back like I did. That will have the color listed on it from when it came from DODGE.

after all, for all we know at this point, he may have repainted the truck himself and may have already done the reasearch on this paticular color.

Just a thought,

good luck.

nattieleather

I saw an Arvoe add that said they had that color....I just don't like Arvoe paint.... I e-mailed Mark at Rapco and he asked for my phone number so he could call me and he never did....:( If I could find something GI that was that color I would take it to my auto paint store and have it color matched.

Barrman

Mark will call you if you remind him enough Joe. Actually, Mark is real close to Shepard AFB and just might have a few old USAF trucks in his collection.

HillsAndHollows

My brother and I have an old 1972 USAF Dodge deicing bucket truck that looks to be an exact match for the 34102 color. It was originally "flight line" yellow, then OD, now it looks to be a CARC color very close to 34102. I've got a picture on my album link below.... BTW if anybody out there knows how to tell where these trucks may have been stationed I sure would like to know the history on this old truck... thanks!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?u=6183

Last edited:

SixPacK

Does anyone have a USAF M880 serries truck in original paint? Can you post a pic for me?

Thanks
You may have solved this already.... I have a 1985 USAF Dodge crew cab with OEM paint. I am restoring it now and researching the correct color. If it's any help the body tag on my truck shows the following.

APA (standard paint code) 7884 (supposed to be the color) Q99 ( secondary color)

None of this has helped me at all. 7884 does not show as a Dodge paint color anywhere I have searched.

NoRM

SixPacK

I wish it was that easy.... my truck came from Dodge and is still, and always was green.

U.S.A.F. clearly visible on the doors, and a runway light signal guide on the dash.

Hence my difficulty finding the OEM Green paint color. I have the truck completely tore apart doing a frame up restoration, nothing was ever Blue.

NoRM

Fitter636

Waaaaaaay late to the posting I know, but any luck on the project? I’m finally trying to get around to working on my 72 d200 USAF truck out of Arizona. I will try starting a thread later and post some pics of the truck and tags/plates in the truck maybe something can help if you still need it.

Jericho

Guys your making it much too hard. Airforce bought two types of trucks Tactical purchased thru the Army contracts ( these were frequently drawn from delivered Army stocks), Tactical purchased thru Air Force alone Bottom line is the Army alone were delivered in Army paint colors We just reconfigured door paint to say USAF , Those purchased Air Force alone came with Air Force defined colors , YES we had the whole line of Cucv , yes some were painted ARMY , yes SOME were painted AIR FORCE scheme, remember they were secondary to aircraft, our primary focus , Our tactical trucks if in an Army environment were painted ARMY scheme to blend in , if they were not used in conjunction with the Army they were in the Air Force Scheme GLCM trucks are a prime example Army didn't have GLICM , hence no scheme , although the trucks were basicly the same . We used different paint depending on our locations, Over seas in Europe most were European 1 paints , MOST AMERICAN PAINTS WERENT ALLOWED TO BE SPRAYED IN GERMANY, so we used Dutch or German paints, In England WHEN THE EUROPEAN UNION TOOK OVER WE HAD TO CHANGE PAINT TYPES AGAIN TO MEET THE EU/GERMAN PAINT RULES/. motorpools mostly had there own paint booths, but some bases used the aircraft paint shops as well and yet others had them painted down town !!! SO TO BE HONEST THE COLORS ARE CALLED OUT IN THE TRUCK TM/TO BUT THERE WAS TONS OF VARIBILITY REALITY IS THEY WERE SELDOM THE SAME SHADES FROM TRUCK TO TRUCK FROM BASE TO BASE, in the states Strata Blue was the bible for years. yo add comfusion , most nontactical trucks are now WHITE and marked for GSA , not even USAF i

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to add a data point here,

The Chevrolet Strata Blue paint code was 39U (PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR, DK ADRIATIC BLUE MET (94)) in 2001 as found on the RPO code label.

nattieleather

Waaaaaaay late to the posting I know, but any luck on the project? I’m finally trying to get around to working on my 72 d200 USAF truck out of Arizona. I will try starting a thread later and post some pics of the truck and tags/plates in the truck maybe something can help if you still need it.
Well, the project is still very stalled and a long way from being close to complete or even in paint. I decided I'm not going to do USAF OD on the truck but 3 color Nato Camo. As time has gone on my ideas for the project have changed or morphed. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks