• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ethan Crane (HIAB) Bobbed Deuce Build

wehring

Here it is folks. This weekend saw solid progress in the build. We welded the centers in the wheels and mounted the 395s. I "invested" a lot of time putting different beds and configurations on the back of the deuce before the final cut of the frame but after the single rear axle conversion. Sermis asked about putting a 3/4 ton trailer bed on a bobbed deuce and I was going to try that too but ran out of time. I will take care of that next weekend.

The wheel base is +5"

I will keep this link posted of progress. Thanks to everyone I have called for real time info. You have been great.

Justin

Attachments

Last edited:

wehring

My thought s too...

I agree. That is why I put the M-105 trailer bed behind the HIAB on the full length frame to "see" what it would look like. It is almost as long as the standard deuce. This is in the photos of the M105 bed sitting on the tires. I decided to cut the "C" bed to 7'3". This will let me keep the +5" bobbed wheel base for better maneuverability in disaster areas. Not much of a bed but it will do.

Justin

AZDeuce

I'm interested in your wheels, what brand/type are they, how were they made, do they still have the Budd type safety (split) rim, and how wide are they?

Curious in AZ

Semper Fi
AZDeuce

wehring

They are Hemtt wheels (well a variant of) and I welded centers in the pilot hole to adapt them to the deuce. 20X10 and very heavy. They are lock ring wheels but the lock ring is "captured" once inflated so it can not blow off.

Justin

Attachments

wehring

Not yet

It is not tied in yet but I will copy what Cranetruck did. Basically a crossmember to support the pump and a short shaft between.

hrh_96

Cool, I have my eye on some HEMTT wheels, if I get them the choice would be to modify to six hole or find a 5 Ton to fit the wheels.

Different subject, just picked up a 105 trailer with the intention of using the bed, frame, springs and shackles to bob the M109, is there anything to look out for when using these components for this choice?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats probably a question to start another thread. No reason to muddy up someone else's thread. Also, that info might be searched for and hidden in this post.

mangus580

They are Hemtt wheels (well a variant of) and I welded centers in the pilot hole to adapt them to the deuce. 20X10 and very heavy. They are lock ring wheels but the lock ring is "captured" once inflated so it can not blow off.
That is corretc M1075...

M1075

Correct... 1075 wheels. The pilot hole is 11" so there is enough room for a weld in center that adapts to the 6 on 8 3/4 pattern/
Just to clarify, so no one goes and buys the wrong wheels, these are the old-style split ring M1076 trailer wheels. Not M1075, not HEMTT, etc.

Justin, it sounds like you found a good source for these. Are you pleased with the offset? How much are the centers costing?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks