• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North carolina veterans day parade

rtjraleigh

Banned
Thought i would get a thread started for this event to see whos coming and to invited people to come out. If you have any other info on other events around North Carolina this weekend please feel free to add it. Please follow up after this event with photos.

Please join us on Saturday, November 8, 2008 in downtown Raleigh as we salute our Veterans. The parade will begin at 9:30 Saturday morning and will be followed by a formal ceremony at the Capitol at 11:00. The Enloe Ensemble will play between the parade and the ceremony. The parade will follow the same route as last year.

For the past 27 years, the Wake County Council of Veterans Organizations, Inc. has sponsored the North Carolina Veterans Parade and Ceremony. This is an exciting event in which to show the men and women who are serving today and those who have served in the past years that their sacrifices and commitment to this country are appreciated. As you know on Veterans Day we recognize those who served both living and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, unlike Memorial Day when we recognize only those we lost in serving their country. The WCCVO represents nearly 50,000 veterans and their families throughout Wake County.

On 8 November 2008, we will be sponsoring our 27th North Carolina Veterans Parade and Ceremony. The Parade will start at 9:15 on the corners of Davie and Fayetteville.

The WCCVO and the American Red Cross and The National Veterans Freedom Park are collaborating with a series of events beginning with the Parade, Ceremonies in Raleigh at the Capitol, then displays and a concert at the KoKa Booth Amphitheatre in Cary. There was a battle in Vietnam during and operation called Operation Hump between the 173rd Airborne and the North Vietnamese; during this battle 45 Americans where killed and many more wounded. A medic who was badly wounded kept working to save his fellow soldiers. As a result of his unselfish act of bravery he was awarded the Medal Of Honor, this Medic’s name was Lawrence Joel from Winston Salem, NC. He was the first black American soldier to be awarded the Medal Of Honor since the Spanish American War. We lost Sgt. Joel in the 80’s. One of the men he saved that day was Niles Harris. Niles Harris met and befriended two country music stars who later wrote and performed a song “8 November” dedicated to Niles and the men of the 173rd and Operation Hump. Niles will be serving as the Grand Marshal of the Parade and the Red Cross has commissioned an artist to do a mural of the battle that will be presented to the National Veterans Freedom Park at the concert.

rtjraleigh

Banned
this event is also happening in wake county nc on nov 8 2008

WHAT> A concert celebration to honor our nation's veterans, military persnnel and their families

WHO> live performances by Billy Ray Cyrus, Josh Gracin, Bo Bice, Rocky Lynne and the 82nd Airborne All American Chorus

WHEN> nov 8 2008 gates open at 1530 hours - concert starts at 1700 hours

WHERE> Koka Booth Amphitheatre - Cary NC

Last edited:

rtjraleigh

Banned
this is also going on

Everyone is invited to Ray Price Harley Davidson for a BBQ cook-off from 11:30-1:30p

Last edited:

CGarbee

Just got our lineup info for Saturday's Veterans Parade in Raleigh:
We are in position #9.
Our lineup location is Salisbury Street between Martin and
Davie Streets. Our lineup position puts us between the
Enloe High School Band (#8) and the Marine Corps League/Raleigh
Young Marines (#10). We can lineup anytime after RPD closes the
streets at 0800. I suggest that folks try to get into position
earlier rather than later since we will have to maneuver our vehicles
around pedestrians/floats...

For those comming to my place, try to arrive at 0700 (unless you are comming down on Friday and spending the night...).

See you on Saturday!

Cabell

MDSA

NC Veterans Day Parade

I'm afraid I have plans for Saturday or I'd be in Raleigh.

Anyone know of any Veteran's Day Parades in NC on Tuesday?

Brian

CGarbee

Well, it's a bit of a drive for you, but the nation's oldest continuous Veterans' Day Parade is being held (once again) in Warsaw, NC.
http://www.townofwarsawnc.com/localevents/index.htm

Monroe, NC, is having a Veterans Day Celebration at the Monroe Airport (Monroe NC just East of Charlotte) Nov 10-11. The event is free and open to the public. There will be warbids on display as well as flybys.

A page with a listing of other parades/events is:
http://www.vetfriends.com/parades/directory.cfm?state=NC

I pulled the above from the NCMVPA website at:
http://www.ncmvpa.com/

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Can't make it to NC, but we are doing our part in GA. Participating in a Vets Day Parade in Manchester, GA. Small town with a huge American Spirit!
Gonna take 10-12 MVs and some display stuff up there and support the effort to the max.
Might even have an MRAP from Homeland Security if things go right.

CGarbee

Neil,
Follow the link the Rob posted earlier in this thread to the Ray Price Harley Davidson dealership's Veterans' Appreciation Cookout on Saturday. We were invited to stop by after the parade for food and to show off our vehicles.
It's on the way from the parade back to my place, so we're seriously thinking about stopping by depending on when we break lose from the downtown display after the parade.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks