• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Site Features

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I noticed that there is a button in the tool bar at the top of the main page that says"help Center", what is it for and how or when do we use it?

Also, Can the main page be longer, like cover a specific time frame(like 24 or 48 hours).

In the new Classifieds, could the location be added to the fields displayed (with out needing to click on each item to see where it is). Also, why do some adds have a generic picture of a Camera instead of the actual picture of the item?

Also, where is the address to email you for site help? Can it be(or is it) displayed on the main page?

Also, the new PM system does not have an"Out Box", like the old site did. Is there a way to know when someone does receive a PM?

On the "Recent posts" list, why are some titles bold and others not? Is this a user setting that need to be set each time you post or a default setting? Also, I have not done it yet but, if I "clear my cache" will I need to go back in and reset all these user choices on with the new site?(or will the site hold my info?)

What is the reason for having the "compare edited versions" feature? (anyone else notice this one?)

The "users online" list does not seem to list in alphabetical order, how are the names listed?(they really seem jumbled)

When I click on a thread title, I find myself accidentally touching the author's name instead and getting that info instead of the tread, do others have this same thing happening also? could it be modified to give us a little room between the thread title and the other click able choices?

One more thing, I clicked "edit" to add to this thread and when I do this and use my own spellcheck, I cannot scroll down to the bottom of my text box, why?(I tryed clicking"go advaced" and it still does not scroll to the bottom)

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just bring this back up, I too am interested in some of the point Doghead brought up.

Dennis

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTT:roll:

mangus580

Mike, I noticed that there is a button in the tool bar at the top of the main page that says"help Center", what is it for and how or when do we use it?
It is a ticket system for requesting site help. I do not like the setup, and will probably be trashing it in the near future, in hopes of finding something I like better.

Also, Can the main page be longer, like cover a specific time frame(like 24 or 48 hours).
Same as the old site. It is based on # of posts, not time. I can make it longer..... but how much?

In the new Classifieds, could the location be added to the fields displayed (with out needing to click on each item to see where it is).
I will have to look into it. I am sure its possible... its one of them tweaks I will try not to forget.

Also, why do some adds have a generic picture of a Camera instead of the actual picture of the item?
because some people are too damn lazy to put a picture with their ad

Also, where is the address to email you for site help? Can it be(or is it) displayed on the main page?
there is a 'contact us' link at the bottom of every page.

Also, the new PM system does not have an"Out Box", like the old site did. Is there a way to know when someone does receive a PM?
There is a 'request read receipt' check box at the bottom of the PM when you send it.... it doesnt mean that the recipient will provide it. (there is a hack to force it though I think, and i need to look into it.

On the "Recent posts" list, why are some titles bold and others not? Is this a user setting that need to be set each time you post or a default setting?
I am not sure what you mean with this. I think the bold titles are the ones have not read yet.

Also, I have not done it yet but, if I "clear my cache" will I need to go back in and reset all these user choices on with the new site?(or will the site hold my info?)
Your user choices are stored in the database on the site... clear away!

What is the reason for having the "compare edited versions" feature? (anyone else notice this one?)
You would have to give me an example. I have not seen this yet.

The "users online" list does not seem to list in alphabetical order, how are the names listed?(they really seem jumbled)
Umm.... I see them in alpha order, with exception of my name (being admin) at the top.

When I click on a thread title, I find myself accidentally touching the author's name instead and getting that info instead of the tread, do others have this same thing happening also? could it be modified to give us a little room between the thread title and the other click able choices?
Need to work on your fine motor skills do you??? ;-)

I will look at the template, and see if I can adjust something without messing up the look too much. Maybe I can just remove the link on the username.

One more thing, I clicked "edit" to add to this thread and when I do this and use my own spellcheck, I cannot scroll down to the bottom of my text box, why?(I tryed clicking"go advaced" and it still does not scroll to the bottom)
Why not use the spell check built into the site?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Thank you for the prompt replies, I realize you have a lot of things to do still, I am just trying to learn and use the new site the best I can. I appreciate your help. I also really appreciate that you listen and try to accommodate mine and others requests or at least listen to our input(hopefully to make the site the easiest and best it can be). [thumbzup]

Last edited:

jasonjc

I think the bold is unread post.
Users online starts with: you, then #'s, then abc's as far as I can tell.
Sorry Mike being admin don't put you at the top of the list:razz:
I have not run into the authors name vs the title thing, I must have better mouse skills:p

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still use it, I wish it was updated more often. Maybe a bump to the top now and then and we could get some new guys(or remind others) to fill it in.

mangus580

I am actually working on it now...

Hoping to make it easier to deal with by putting the info right in the standard profile for the site.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike, if that doesn't work out and after you get settled in the new software, could you make up one of those must read thingys requesting folks to put themselves on the map. I too find it useful and was especially useful on my most recent plunge into MV darkness.

mangus580

Kenny, I can.... but it makes for tons of disgruntled people LOL

I am pretty confident I can get it setup to add as part of the profile. It will be an optional feature... But it will be able to be filled out upon sign up, or changed at any time in your profile box. I also plan to use it to facilitate the member assistance setup I never got working on the old site!

Now to figure out how I want to add other things to the map!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see what you mean about folks getting mad because they are guided to read something important. I hope these same folks don't have access to power tools.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks