• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreck waiting to happen M944A1 recovery

sermis

Well I took on the task of a M944A1 recover for reb87 from Ft. Hood. The pic’s on GL showed drivers fender damage. The GL guy said that they used a forklift to unload and we assumed the damage was caused by that. I get there and discover the damage was from a front end wreck. Kind of looks like a tow bar accident. Well we scoured the lot and found a couple bolts to put into the drivers side bumper on the bottom. I could not get one of the ¾” pin back into the tow bar due to the bumper being twisted so I used a line up bar and black tape to hold it in. The bumper and brackets were loose. My neighbor went with me so I had him ride in the truck and steer just incase. Hooked up the air lines and the brakes released. Pulled it off of GL’s lot and checked fluids and away we went at a land speed record of 30 down hill. I can saw it out weighed my deuce by 20,000 and it was all the little truck could do to pull. About half way home the front right brake started getting hot. Discovered that the emergency and service line are crossed on the front of the truck. Reconnected the hoses and it would only build 60 psi. made it home. I have a tight turn in front of my barn and that is where the bumper let go the rest of the way. With only two bolts on each side I guess we were lucky to make it this far.

Attachments

sermis

When we left the base the ruts on the service road was making the 33,000 pound truck move side to side. That is when I let Charlie, my neighbor, steer the truck. On the First turn at the red light after leaving the base the truck started pushing me straight while I wanted to turn left. PUCKER FACTOR 500%. My neighbor then realized how much he needed to turn it to make it follow. No other issues on the trip except for 800 degree front right brake drum about half way home. That is when I realized the air lines were crossed. Bumper incident was here at the house. I got all the fluids filled here at the house and put power to it to see if it would turn over. Lots of sparks from the cables. I only have one set of batteries in the truck. It never turned over but acted like it would if it had enough juice. Got dark and had to stop. Truck has a welder, lath, generator, vice, and a few other items. Doors open with the hydro pump.

More to follow.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow that is a great truck and ditto on the prayers helping. Can't wait to see more pictures of the truck and tow. Almost sounds like when you towed the duece home with your little truck.

sermis

I would have had PIC's but my wifes camera battery was dead. I did not have enough sence to change out the battery with the spare that was in the bag. SHE TOLD ME ABOUT THE EXTRA BATTERY WHEN SHE GOT HOME.:oops:

sermis

It's on the too do list. I was working on trying to start and ran out of day light.
There is a front moving through this morning so depending on the weather, PIC's are coming.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hey, I have one of those little hydraulic presses. Now I know where it came from! I wish I had more of the accessories shown in the picture, like that cast piece that looks like it's intended to sit across the C-shaped bottom portion.

The lathe looks a bit rusty in the pictures. I hope it'll clean up OK and that the ways aren't damaged.

The truck looks like it'll fix up really nicely, and I'm glad that you managed to get it home safely.

reb87

It still has to go 700 some odd miles to get home but it appears to be in good hands for now. Steve is doing all the hard work, all I did is pray a lot.
The lathe is a different model than my other 944a1. I cant see what make it is but the truck I have here has a Southbend 1308 lathe. Everything works on it except the gear for cutting standard threads seems to have a tooth broken. The metric threads all work. Im hoping the new one dosent have any probs, it looks like the lathe accessories are there. Here is the one in the truck I have here.

Attachments

sermis

IT"S ALIVE................IT"S ALIVE

Got new batteries installed and hit the switch. CLICK, click, click and then turned over about twice and was running. Power steering hose is leaking and not much throttle from the peddle. Not sure what is going on there.

There is an air leak where an air line has been removed which happens to be located between the cab and box in the middle PIC 119. It is right above the transfer case.

In PIC 116. What is the thing on the yellow air line and where does it go?

PIC 117 is a shot from the front

In PIC 118 to the right of the prim pump there is a plat with three holes in a triangle. What went there?

How does the generator enguage?

Last edited:

reb87

The yellow air line attaches to the back of the pump as shown in these pics.

There is nothing bolted on the triangle.

The other parts shown loose are part of the ether aid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks