• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of Deuce parts

rebel_raider

Sorry it took so long for me to post this, but I forgot I had it. This is the tag that came with one of the t-cases we bought from OKC GL.

That's 527 lbs. (sorry its upside down)

Attachments

I just bought a newly rebuilt one from GL yesterday for the incredibly low bid of $310. The weight they have for the lot of it in a wooden crate is 1000#, but I think the last post stating 527# is probably accurate. I don't see anyway it could weigh much more than that, and no way it could go half a ton.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a newly rebuilt one from GL yesterday for the incredibly low bid of $310. The weight they have for the lot of it in a wooden crate is 1000#, but I think the last post stating 527# is probably accurate. I don't see anyway it could weigh much more than that, and no way it could go half a ton.
Did you actually INSPECT the lot:?::?: There may be MORE THAN ONE it that crate :shock:
You may have gotten VERY LUCKY :!: (or maybe I'm just dreaming BIG dreams on your behalf.)

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I just brought a standard deuce box to the scrap yard today and they said it weighed 1400 lbs with the tailgate on. Sounds about right, my 763 bobcat will lift one with some counter weight on the back since it sticks off the forks so far. If they were over 2000 lbs (like I thought they were) my bobcat wouldn't lift one.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This place I do. I haul scrap from work which I weigh on a certified scale so I know how much I'm hauling in my deuce and they are always right on with the weights.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you EVER don't trust (or can disprove) the accuracy of a Certified Public Scale, then kindly REPORT it to your state's Weights and Measures Department/Authority/Division or whatever they call themselves where you live. The FINE$$$ can be EXTREME and frequently result in shutting down the scale for weeks or months - They are usually LOW priority for recertification and the RED TAPE is a HUGE HASSLE. NO business that DEPENDS on a Certified Scale for daily operations wants to go through that.

:deadhorse:

motomacguyver

Cut and paste from a different post.

I had my CTIS stuff off the wheel and weighed the components at the grocery store.

The cover 3.57 lbs
The counter weight 2.82 lbs
The wheel valve with fittings and hoses. 1.75 lbs
4 lug nuts 1.38 lbs
4 regular nuts .45 lbs.

So if we figure (guess) 75 % of the cover weight (because it is pie shaped and most of the mass is at the outer edge)

2.6775 lbs
valve assm. 1.75
lug nuts 1.38

equals 5.8075 lbs.

minus 2.82 lbs for the counter weight

leaves a 2.9875 lb imbalance.

So, if you replace all of the lug nuts on the CTIS side of the wheel with regular size nuts (JUST THE ONES THAT HOLD ON COVERS OR VALVES). Than put all the lug nuts on the other side. That should get the imbalance down to around 2/3 of a pound. Still heavy on the wheel valve side though.
I think car guys use weights in 1/4 ounce increments or less. (for comparison) This is the very first thing I would do to help tame the wobble. The A2 guys probably don't have wobble due to NO CTIS

swirvin21

Best trick for H1, HEMTT, etc wheels is to weld on washers while balancing the bare wheel at a tire shop. You want the wheel true and only add removable weight to balance the tire. Part of the reason OEM passenger vehicle rims are so much more expensive is because they are more true than aftermarket versions.

JCKnife

All the copper tubing to be salvaged from scrapping out a deuce: about 17 lbs
(mainly just the fuel and air tubing, not wiring or anything crazy)

JCKnife

A bare frame plus stripped cab brought $275 at our local scrap yard about a month ago.
( I didn't deliver it myself so didn't see the ticket / can't give you a weight)

Last edited:

waayfast

Good thread going here--anyone know what a COA331 gassser engine weighs? How 'bout the old 5 ton gasser engines (6604??? I think-can't remember the model number for sure).

Would they and a deuce gasser trans and x-fer case fit in my Ford Ranger:twisted: LOL!

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks