• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weight of Deuce parts

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
clinto Did you ever get a weight for a bare frame? I know its been close to a year, but even an estimation would be helpful at this point. Thanks
No, our bare frame from the parts truck is still in the backyard. It takes me awhile to build up enough junk to justify a trip to the scrapyard. When I go, if there's a way to get them to weigh just the frame, I'll do it and post the results here.

Sorry.

Turd Furgeson

How Much Does a Deuce Wheel Weigh?

Hey Guys,

Do any of you have a bare deuce wheel that you could throw on a scale for me? One of the riveted versions would be ideal.

Thank you,

TF

brianp454

I don't know about the standard deuce NDT's; however, I purchased a set of Michelin 365\80R20 tire and wheel assemblies surplus in never used condition that were designed for the MRAP or similar vehicle (I think). They have an odd wider 10-lug bolt pattern (do not bolt up to a 5 ton). Note these are not the 395/85R20’s; they are the metric equivalent to the 14.5R20 used on the M35A3. They have tread just shy of 13 inches, ~14.5 inch sidewalls, and are a bit over 43 inches tall; very close to the height of the 11x20’s. NSN 2530-01-541-5364 by BAE Systems. I think they have run-flats in them, but haven't opened them up to confirm. They weigh in at 355 pounds each! Pic attached.
IMG_0055[1].jpg

Also, I check this web site for good reference material on military tires: http://www.militarytires.com/ The michelin site is also handy for the current stuff.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought we had a thread for weights of parts.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an m35a2 and some new and used parts fun to see if the parts add up to whole trk:) weight at 13,030 that's unladed weight w/o fuel n crew. I might part it out anyway .

Didn't see it here so I thought I'd add it.

Firestone T831 11.00R20 (tire only) : 161 pounds

Has anyone weighed just a a rim?

First post shows a tire/rim to be 165 lbs. One of the manufacturers I looked at lists the weight of an 9-20 NDCC tire to be 64 lbs. So for now I'm going with 101 pounds for just the rim, unless someone who knows better tells me otherwise.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recent FedEx shipment of a Medium Tow Bar WITH its three Pins documents it at 134 LBS.

(Ships as 3 unwrapped but labeled parcels - first being just one OUTER Leg Tube with Lunette Ring; second being the other OUTER Leg Tube WITH the three Pins taped together and then slid inside with the open end securely taped over; and the third parcel being the TWO INNER Leg Tubes securely tie-wrapped together through the pin holes AND also Duct Taped together. All three arrived in west Texas from N.E. Arkansas undamaged and simultaneously without OVERWEIGHT charges.)

ALSO, the HEAVY Tow Bar is reasonably estimated at 250-300 LBS PER LEG for an ASSEMBLED WEIGHT of 500-600 LBS (estimated).

1.jpg<------HEAVY & MEDIUM Tow Bars
for comparison next to rear wheelsets of an XM-818 Tractor..

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a come-along (hand winch) so if the tire falls over, I can hook to the side of the truck & ratchet it back up. Much better than pulling a muscle, tearing a ligament, or rupturing a disc on the side of the road. Also bought a 1-ton crane that is being mounted in the bed on the right rear corner so I can swing it out & crank the tire up into the bed.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recent FedEx shipment of a Medium Tow Bar WITH its three Pins documents it at 134 LBS.

(Ships as 3 unwrapped but labeled parcels - first being just one OUTER Leg Tube with Lunette Ring; second being the other OUTER Leg Tube WITH the three Pins taped together and then slid inside with the open end securely taped over; and the third parcel being the TWO INNER Leg Tubes securely tie-wrapped together through the pin holes AND also Duct Taped together. All three arrived in west Texas from N.E. Arkansas undamaged and simultaneously without OVERWEIGHT charges.)

ALSO, the HEAVY Tow Bar is reasonably estimated at 250-300 LBS PER LEG for an ASSEMBLED WEIGHT of 500-600 LBS (estimated).

View attachment 629725<------HEAVY & MEDIUM Tow Bars
for comparison next to rear wheelsets of an XM-818 Tractor..
Can you post a picture of the tow bar assembled? Never seen one installed. Sounds like with the weight of the bars, the truck is going to be a crew served vehicle. I know God is my Co-pilot, but doubt he'll get out & do the lifting. :-D

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a picture of the tow bar assembled? Never seen one installed. Sounds like with the weight of the bars, the truck is going to be a crew served vehicle. I know God is my Co-pilot, but doubt he'll get out & do the lifting. :-D
Not to hijack this thread, but a quick reply to your query....

Tow Bar 3.jpg . Tow Bar 2.jpg . Tow Bar 1.jpg

I have never assembled this HEAVY Tow Bar, but these are photos from the Midland (Texas) County Sheriff's Deputy - my point of contact. You can see both the size and how they "shackled" the tow bar o the APC.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the heavy towbar is 600 lbs - Soni and I were able to move two of these towbars (one at a time) by hand without too much drama. Not that it was easy, but it was possible. I don't think we would've been able to move them had they been 600 lbs.

I think this Ford Expedition would not have been able to handle 1200 lbs hanging off the rear like this, either.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the heavy towbar is 600 lbs - Soni and I were able to move two of these towbars (one at a time) by hand without too much drama. Not that it was easy, but it was possible. I don't think we would've been able to move them had they been 600 lbs.

I think this Ford Expedition would not have been able to handle 1200 lbs hanging off the rear like this, either.
WOW !
I agree.
I doubt the Expedition's front wheels would have been on the ground with TWO of those suckers dangling from the back if my 500-600 estimate were accurate. Handling mine one leg at a time solo was sure a task. Sorry if I overestimated.
I doubt I'll have any opportunity in the foreseeable future to get the Heavy Tow Bar weighed.

I s'pose, though I also doubt, that there could be that much difference in specimen weights even IF different manufacturers used different gauges of tubing. The cast fixtures on each end of the legs are quite similar and shouldn't add or reduce the overall weight by much, if any.

(Head Scratching) It's probably just my un-calibrated arms mis-weighing the Tow Bar.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks