• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft Tractor

Hellbilly_racing

Hi,

First time poster here :D

I'm not sure if this is in the correct section but I don't know if it belongs in any section :?

I've just purchased an ex USAF Chevy Eagle Bobtail tractor...

The problem is that I know very little about it and was hoping that one of you guys might be able to bring me up to speed with the history and spec of this vehicle?

What I do know is that it's 4x4 and 4 wheel steer and is powered by a 6.2 GMC V8 diesel... And that's it !

As you can see the axles have planetary reduction hubs and seem seriously heavy duty; what make and model are they and where else did they see service? Are they easy to get parts for? Can anyone hazzard a guess at the diff and hub ratios?

How does the 4 wheel steering work and is it permanent or can 2 wheel steering be selected?

Is the chassis especially for this tractor or is it a modified truck chassis?

What's it's Military designation?

What transfer case does it use and is it specially beefed up for this application?

I know it's alot of questions, but I really know nothing about this truck :(

85-m1028

congragulations on a great purchase!! this is a great platform for a monster offroader, I dont know if you can drive them on the street though!! the tranny should be a turbo 400/ with either a np205 or np208, the axle ratio is somewhere in the late 6's to mid 7's?? should be based off of the m1031 cab chassis, I'd get some big ol 52" michelins and chop out some wheel wells, full roll cage and go to town.!!!!! I'm pretty sure it has a/c too!! let me know what you find I want to learn more about em myself!!

Hellbilly_racing

Thanks for that.

The two overiding factors at the moment are that I haven't took delivery of the truck, and when I do I don't know how long before I can drive it as it is non running.... :(

I'm thinking something like you; 44" swampers on custom steel rims, no suspension lift but trim the arches. If the mill is no good I'll find a 454 :twisted: or something to drop in it. I suspected it would have a TH400 because of the kind of work it would of done.

I reackon I'll loose the 'bumper' the side steps and junk the back for a flat bed with tube rollcage. :idea:

I don't know what suspension it has but I bet it's got huge spring packs front and rear as it is plated for 6000lbs per axle! So I might have to source some softer springs to get it to articulate. :?

Anyone else got any info or thoughts?

Dieselsmoke

I had one of these about 10 years ago. Man, that sucker was one low geared SOB, was great to tote stuff around the yard with.

Pappa-G

What you have is an Air Force MB4 Tow tractor. They were used to tow aircraft up to a C-130. They can be driven in 2 or 4 wd and steering is front, front/rear apposed or front rear crab. (which is cool but have some room)
The biggest down fall was the fact that they have NO suspension. The frame is mounted directly to the axels (ok there is a rubber block between them) If I remember correctly they dont go over @ 30mph but they candrag alot of stuff while doing it.
Best of luck ~ Pappa-G

Gummy Bear

The place where I work has a Bobtail identical to yours which they use for various towing duties. I have several questions about it. First, how much is a truck like this worth? Second, How hard are they to get? And third, are they very good off road? I've never been able to get the thing much over thirty. I know its pretty low geared, but is this normal?

Also, in answer to the question of street legality, the business I work for does, every no and then take it out on the road, granted they never go more that a few mile with it, but they do sometimes take it out on the road. Other that the top speed, I cant think of a reason why you couldn't take it out on the road, since it has headlight, brake light, and turn signals. Plus, the other day on my way back to work, the thing ran out of gas on me, and while waiting for them to bring me a couple gallons (blocking a whole lane of traffic), a cop passed me, but didn't bother to stop and chew me out. I'm thinking it is street legal.

Photos of my employer's Bobtail: Chevy Tug - a set on Flickr

I would so love to get one of these for myself. They're truly awesome.

Gummy Bear

I've noticed that when you get up around 30 mph with no load, the truck starts to bounce/rock quite a bit end to end. Is this normal, due to the lack of suspension?

What kind of pics are you looking for? I'd be happy to take some more.

Last edited:

dstang97

Thanks for bringing back a cool post. And We love pictures, so take as many as you want.

They are not worth much so tell your boss I will take it off his hands for free.

Gummy Bear

:?:
Thanks for bringing back a cool post. And We love pictures, so take as many as you want.

They are not worth much so tell your boss I will take it off his hands for free.
LOL yeah, if they ever decide to get rid of it, I'll be ready. :funny:

About how much would you expect one to sell for? I found one thats currently going for 4k, but that seems a bit high (?).

Last edited:

jimmy-90

Wow It's got an even bigger front bumper on it than my truck lol. I saw one of those a while back online that was for sale. If I remember right they didn't want a whole lot of money for it either. This one was orange and I think it was a civi version. Somehow I don't think they would want to give somebody street tags for one of those and I don't think anything will pass the vehicle safety inspection with REAL 4wheel steering like that. With the possible exception of the state of WY.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks