• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft Tractor

spicergear

A buddy of mine had one of these a few years back. Very neat truck but wildly limited because of it's single duty usage. The three steering settings are cool and super handy for getting into tight places. The t-case on his was locked in low range so you only had that speed with no option for high range. The axles should be ZF units. It's a cool truck but if you actually wanted a truck to use, you may want to sell the axles to some monster truck guys or big time mud guys and get more conventional CUCV heavy duty axles under it. Again, neat rig...limited though.

Bighurt

The only thing good on an MB-4 Eagle is a take out 6.2L and the ZF axles...

The rest is worthless IMO other than potential spare parts for a CUCV cab. I've used a butt load of MB-4's Coleman's, Eagle's, PSI's, Entwistle's, and Wollard's.

If you have an actual Aircraft to tow and need an MB-4, buy an Entwistle they are going for less then $5k on GL and are the best of the bunch IMO. Only issue with them is the Dodge Tranny, but we all know how to fix that...LOL

markg

here is one i bought back in 04. i went from austin to central nm to pick it up. with my equipment trailer rated at 12k i still blew 6 tires before i got home. missing the front bumper this thing must weigh about 9k. i removed the solid weight behind the cab and still have it. i think its full of concrete and probably weighs 5k or more. its an experience i will not forget. have it hauled if you buy one!!! the electrical is stock gm 12v civilian truck, no a/c. pump driven hydraulics. clocked np 208. mine was showing 3400 miles. top speed was around 25 or so. front bumper probably weighs 1k by itself. mine was gone. 7.50x20 rubber.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12055460@N05/sets/72157602901066979/

Last edited:

markg

here is the slab weight that was mounted behind the cab. i used my neighbors forklift rated at 14k to remove it. when i put the chain around both forks tied together they bent them over to the point i thought they would break. very scary.

Attachments

Gummy Bear

I forget where I read this (I've posted this truck on several forums), but someone said the front bumper weighs 2k and the rear weighs 7k. Any way you slice it is a whole lot of weight! I work in an air museum, and so the tug is actually being used to haul planes (the museum has a C-47 visible in the photos I posted). I got the truck up to 30 once. I dont think it will go much faster than that.

Bighurt

I forget where I read this (I've posted this truck on several forums), but someone said the front bumper weighs 2k and the rear weighs 7k. Any way you slice it is a whole lot of weight! I work in an air museum, and so the tug is actually being used to haul planes (the museum has a C-47 visible in the photos I posted). I got the truck up to 30 once. I dont think it will go much faster than that.
I think the TM has the max speed listed at 15, I know they go aster than that as well.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been watching this one for about 6 months. I finally committed yesterday! It has a 12v Chevy starter and one battery. so I'm not sure what all has been done to it.
image.jpg

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone out there in the tug business. The transfer case is in high... I took the linkage off under the truck and manually shifted it. It has neutral and 4 low not any higher geared mode.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a body lift to get a little clearance for some new meat! I also reworked the transfer case shifter so I can use all ranges. I am fitting new model Chevy seats, also I replaced all of the brake hoses. There are a few ideas floating around in my head I don't know if I should use a 1 1/4 trailer bed or chop a deuce bed to fit? Any input on bed options? I may start a thread for the build...
One bed option below and a pic of the truck
image.jpgimage.jpg

okwxman

Sorry to bring up an older post, but I saw the picture of the Eagle and it brought back some fond memories. I know that many have posted that these were used to tow aircraft, but my experience with them was to tow munitions trailers such as the MHU-196 and MHU-204 with varied assortments of weapons for B-1's and B-52's. I have a few pictures of them in action if anyone is interested in seeing them. As noted in other post, they had zero suspension and if you ever drove one with chains in the winter, you will never forget it. Unfortunately, I can't add much help on the maintenance side, but I know our Motor Pool hated these trucks as they got some age on them. I believe ours were 85LXXX and 86LXXX, not sure what yours is/was.

Jericho

Its ok , there were other versions of the MB 4 before that, Used them in TAC for moving fighters , F 4s , 16s 15s, ect A 10s they were better than some of the pre 70s stuff, but stop gap off the shelf crap from an aircraft perspective , Air FOrce was trying to follow the Army CUCV solution and instead of buying dedicated special equipment was looking for "off the shelve " stuff to cut cost, They were relitivly short lived in the system, not any long life span there. Brakes were better than some of the earlier YUKs , pronounced UUUkkkks (AF slang for an aircraft tug) we had some fifties thru late 70s stuff well into the ninties , They went back for overhaul periodicly, sometimes not enough. They are geared so low they can overpower the brakes, Saw a man at England AFB crushed to death in the blue Phase dock in about 87 . Models went from small warehouse tugs for pulling T 37 tweety birds all the way up to C 5 haulers and space craft yuks at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Never liked the chevys , but REALLY disliked the Jeep C J models, The Colemans were the cats whiskers, but brakes were terrible , GOOD LUCK BE SAFE AND CAREFULL, THEY WILL PULL ABOUT ANYTHING!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the OP post a photobucket link and not photos here is the photo ,I'm suprised it is still good but that won't last.
This is the photo from post #1.

Attachments

SonOfAMechanic

MB-4 Question

My father left me an MB-4. Having engine trouble but not sure what type, make or model. Checked Google plus more...no luck.
Engine stamp indicates P30*I60224*

Any resources?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks