• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another Wheel and tire fit question

ChalkOutline

I read many other threads, and there seemed to be some very contradictory info, or that's what I got out of it.

My question, do the H1 8 bolt wheels with the 36" tire's fit on a stock M1008?

The tires are the Good Year Wrangler R/T II.

I have found some cheap and I must have new tires ASAP.

Thanks,
Jeff

ChalkOutline

Is this THE answer?

If so great, if there are any other opinion's either in agreement or in opposition, I would appreciate them.

Also, is there a Cheap lift, body I suspect, that would allow them to work without fender trim or spacers.

ChalkOutline

60 some views.....and 1 reply?:cry:
Come on guys, I know the knowledge is out there, please help.
I need to get tires right away, I can get the H1 tires and wheels for $450 for a set if I do it quickly. Otherwise I end up going to Les Schwab or Americas Tire Co and spend much more for boring street tires.

papercu

Military HMMWV wheels will not work without the spacers. I don't know what the offset is for H1 wheels. Why not just try one on the front and see if you have problems? Wayne

M1075

This has been covered many times. Try the search feature and you will find the answers you are looking for. If you think you find contradictory info, please post it up and I'll sort it out for you.

ChalkOutline

Military HMMWV wheels will not work without the spacers. I don't know what the offset is for H1 wheels. Why not just try one on the front and see if you have problems? Wayne

I'd love to have one here to do just that. The seller is in Fresno but offered free delivery if I bought a set. Can't buy without knowing.
Thank you for your input.
Jeff

ChalkOutline

In this post...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=9946
Westech said...
i have the 36" hummer tires on stock rims and works great.
You (M1075) said...
I have tried to say/show that you CAN run 36's without a lift if you trim some fender.
CCATLETT said...
36" tires will fit fine as long as they are narrow like the humvee tires, the wider offroad tires will have rubbing issues without a lift.

Just what I found quickly. I am trying to get the seller to bring up a set, but doubtful.

Thanks again guys,
Jeff

ChalkOutline

Crazy thought, what if you reverse the H1 wheels , that way they shouldn't need the 2" ($110 EACH ouch)wheel spacers. It would change the backspace to about 2-3 in I think (by looking at pics). Beside the valve stem on the wrong side, any other issues?

I'm crazy, aren't I?

AJMBLAZER

You can't really reverse them, the lug seats don't work that way on most modern wheels.

You could recenter them but again, not cheap.

AJMBLAZER

Pretty much. Most wheels made since the 70's have that and only on the "outside" face of the wheel. It's needed to seat the wheels properly.

M1075

In this post...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=9946
Westech said...
i have the 36" hummer tires on stock rims and works great.
You (M1075) said...
I have tried to say/show that you CAN run 36's without a lift if you trim some fender.
CCATLETT said...
36" tires will fit fine as long as they are narrow like the humvee tires, the wider offroad tires will have rubbing issues without a lift.

Just what I found quickly. I am trying to get the seller to bring up a set, but doubtful.

Thanks again guys,
Jeff
Okay, thanks for the link. I see the confusion now. There are "stock" CUCV wheels and there are "stock" Hummer wheels. To use the stock Hummer wheels you need to use some spacers or change over your front hubs to dually hubs. You can run Hummer tires on stock CUCV wheels and only worry about trimming if necessary.

ChalkOutline

Cool, I really appreciate the help you guys have given me.

At this point I have yet to make a decision on which way to go.
Like everyone, I want it all and for a cheap as possible.
By all I mean I want, good traction, bigger than stock, good looking, good tread life and low noise for free.

Now since it is not a daily driver, average tread life with some noise are fine, I would like them larger than stock and good traction (looks are nice but not a priority). With that said, price is VERY important, so.... any HOLY COW suggestions?

thanks again,
Jeff

AJMBLAZER

Look around out there for someone selling some used tires. Some 315/75R16 (35x12.5R16) or 36x12.5R16 tires would fit your truck nicely and would fit with minimal trimming. You've got a lot more readily accessible wheeling out there so the 4x4 community is bigger. I lived in San Diego and the availability of used stuff was great compared to up here.

Interco makes the Swamper TSL Radial in the 36x12.5R16 size which is famous for actually only being about 11.5" wide. Would do perfectly.

If you can find a set there is the Michelin XL series in 9.00R16 (basically 36x9R16) but they're rather rare here in the States.

hobie237

HMMWV wheels/tires seem really attractive until you try to fit them. I was looking to go that route, as it looked like a cheap way to get some big tires on my truck, but...

1. The HMMWV rims are a pain to fit and require expensive spacers due to the severe backspacing.

2. 16.5" wheels with close to stock backspacing and a good width aren't all that common, you're looking at $225-$300 depending on what you want.

3. You'll need to do something about the front of the truck to fit the tires, either fender trimming or a lift.

Before you jump on a deal on HMMWV wheels/tires, add up the costs to actually install them, and shop around for other 35-36" tires that fit the stock 16" wheels.

colomil

I paid about $200 for a set of 4 2" spacers. I found them on ebay. Be sure you get the correct threads (9/16-18 not the 14mm). I got the tires & rims for a steal. They are heavy bastards so factor that in to gas miliage, etc...

There was a guy in Nebraska and a guy in Arizona who had some military 37-12.5-16.5s for sale cheap on craigslist a few days ago.

papercu

H1 8 bolt wheels with the 36" tire's fit on a stock M1008? The tires are the Good Year Wrangler R/T II.
Is this a civilian H1 or maybe just civilian A2 or A3? ? Are the tires/wheels 16.5 or 16? Wayne

ChalkOutline

Is this a civilian H1 or maybe just civilian A2 or A3? ? Are the tires/wheels 16.5 or 16? Wayne

They are the military ones. I was just lazy and used H1 for short.
they are 16.5

I really like the big offroad tires, the better traction, lower RPM's at higher speed, the better look, and all. But this is getting to be a bigger hassle than I want.....so I will probably hit Les Schwab or America's Tire Co and pay more for less of the things I want :-x just to make it easy. How sad am I :cry::cry::cry:.

Thanks for all of your input and guidance,
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks