• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying a used humvee

Dieselsmoke

CAll this a conspiracy theory or whatevery ya like, but don't forget that up until 1992 when the first civilian Hummer came out the govt. did in fact surplus intact HMMWVs (although very very few of them). My '86 was released in 1990 with a SF97. Seems kind of funny that as soon as the civilian Hummer came out is when the order to bale/shred HMMWVs came out. Sound to me like the big AM General didn't want any surplus cutting into their profits.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I here people complain about the power in Hummers and HMMWV's....If you get your HMMWV or Hummer stuck it was for 1 or 2 reasons..you do not know how to drive it or you are really stuck.
Max torque on the 6.5 TD is 385ft lbs, that is achieved @ 1800 rpm, Thats just about Double it's Idle Speed! Try that same Torque from a Gasser and you will be somewhere around 5-6 RPM, Wat to hard on an Engine for long periods.
The Torque is what you are after....Hummers and HMMWV's were not meant to go 70-80 Mph, Espeacially Humvees, they are geared way to low.
When I used to wheel my old M998 I can't remember but once running out of power....and I cannot remeber getting stuck.

As far a HMMWV going public...gettem now, I just never see them coming from Uncle Sam

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry But Go back to Fed 22 and 23, 2 separate posts and 2 different Members complained about Power and Gutlessness. One is an Owner of a 98 TD Hummer.

:p

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh, yes. I stand corrected... Anyone that buys any humvee for power is gonna be sadly mistaken... Good thing I didnt buy mine for those 2 characteristics...... :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks