• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-100 Crew Member Vietnam 71-72

Driver523

V-100 Commando--just by chance you wouldn't have been having trouble with that V at the Bob Hope show in 71 would you? and just maybe the gun truck Ace of Spades was parked in front of you, then the other gun truck at the show was Uncle Meat?-------Driver

V-100 Commando

That's Right

Driver- You are right on with that! If I remember right, the water pump was broken and we were having a heck of a time moving that thing around without it overheating. The "Ace of Spades" and "Uncle Meat" were the Gun Trucks I remember being around the most. When I look back I regret that we didn't interact with the Gun Trucks more. We were pretty much doing the same job, but when you're nineteen, you're pretty darn dumb. Thanks for jogging my memory on that- how did you know? Take care. Thanks for posting those great pictures.
Jeff

Driver523

V-100 Commando--That avatar of yours is one of Sammy Seays photos, He was twin gunner of the Ace of Spades and has since rebuilt it as a replica, that day he told me you were having some trouble with Catch 22 and they were parked right in front of you guys--he went back got up on it and offered to take a look---it truely is a small world at times, here's a photo of his replica, it now has over 10,000 miles stateside as a replica---Driver

Attachments

V-100 Commando

Thanks Driver & Bazooka Joe

Driver- If you talk to Sammy Seays again, please tell him I said welcome home brother, and thank him for the photo. I hope he doesn't mind me hijacking it, it's been a very special photo and I always wondered who took it. His "new" Gun Truck is awesome.
Bazooka Joe- Your comment is appreciated by all who served over there.
Jeff

V-100 Commando

Good news

First- thanks for posting those pictures Driver- I see the Lemon had one of those sirens that could only be used in short burst like we had. They would melt the wire in a hurry.
Second- the good news- I was able to get in touch with one of my old crew members, and he in turn was able to put me in contact with another crew member, both live in California. They said they both have a ton of pictures and will be glad to share them. So we are in the process of figuring out how I'm going to get them (without any risk of loss or damage) and I'll be able to post them all. The bonus is, one of them is a retired LAPD SWAT team leader and he was the sole driver of the LAPD V-100 they used to knock down the crack houses. One of the members told me that V is in the museum in LA now. He said he has several pictures of that one in action- so, as soon as I can get them, they will be posted. I'll keep you updated.
Jeff

Pawnshop

Wonderful! This thread, and ones like it, are one of the best reasons to have an internet connection!!

Thank you ALL for your service, and for sharing your memories and photos with us.

Sam

Last edited:

Driver523

Here's Flash--Ole flash was laying along side the road one day on its side after hitting a mine--we seen her on the return trip from Tuy Hoa--years later a guy sent me the photo of it being loaded (or unloaded) on a flat bed---and a pic of it in better times----Driver

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic pictures Driver, thank you for posting them. And Jeff, I am really looking forward to your pictures.

There are just so many details to be found on "in service" photos, like the sirens, extra equipment, white tow rings on Flash, etc. Even the dates on the edge of the photo are important, helping place the vehicles' history.

Cheers

Last edited:

Driver523

I can't remember the guys last name that I got this photo from but his first name was Dave, When I was in Nam I never seen a V on a cargo truck as a gun box (like some APCs were used) but when I seen this picture I noticed that it looks like just that and he confirmed the same thing--he thought that at the time also--it looks like an ARVIN 9south vietnamise army) vehicle but is hard to tell, it will probably hard to see on here but the truck coming at him has a V in the cargo area with no tires---------Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Just going through my photos to see what I have and posting as I find something----this one is from the album of Larry Lofts--- Looks like it says The Max --------Driver

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is a fantastic thread. I never heard of a V-100 on a gun truck before. Its nice getting details with the pictures... Or, maybe nicer getting a picture with the details?

Thank you Driver and Jeff for posting these, and for your combat service in Vietnam. JimK

p.s thanks Lance, Proud Mary and kids too.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very interesting, that is the only Vietnam era Army V100 I have ever seen camo'ed. We will have to make sure Earl sees this, he wanted to do camo on his.
Driver, you have some excellent pictures, keep posting!

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks