• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-100 Crew Member Vietnam 71-72

Driver523

Gettin to be slim pickins in the photo dept. I got near on 12,000 photos but not alot on Vs, ---these two came from the museum at Fort Eustis---The last (not Capt. America) is from check point 88 up at Pleiku VN----I'm afraid this is about it but still lookin-----sorry----Driver

Attachments

Driver523

Damn---I couldn't believe my eyes--On page 3 of this thread lilreddodge posted about is dad having a V named Proud Mary and selling it and HellonwheelsV100 said he was now the owner of Proud Mary--now I can't really tell if it was Proud Mary II er not or see the unit but I just wonder if maybe it had been hit and just maybe if they didn't do like us gun truckers sometimes did and do the II thing when we rebuilt a truck that had been destroyed----strage though---------Driver

Attachments

hardride

LAPD rescue vehicle

The bonus is, one of them is a retired LAPD SWAT team leader and he was the sole driver of the LAPD V-100 they used to knock down the crack houses. One of the members told me that V is in the museum in LA now. He said he has several pictures of that one in action- so, as soon as I can get them, they will be posted. I'll keep you updated.
Jeff
I went by the LAPD museum yesterday. Rescue Vehicle No. 1 is now back. They told me a year or so ago that it was sent out for repairs. May have some pictures uploaded next week. Vehicle No.2 is over at American Society of Military History "Tankland" So. El Monte, California.
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/v100.htm

I took some pictures of both vehicles years ago when they were still in service with the "Breaching Cadre" . They were put up on the V-100 website of Richard Lathrop that he turned into the Osprey book on the V-100.

Last edited:

Driver523

Madsam--I know I can click on the URL you posted but where is that under the forum?----I'd kinda like to show what I have of what it was like for transportation during Lam Son 719 Operation Dewey Canyon---and I've been posting under VietNam gun trucks and gun trucks of Iraq---------Driver

madsam

Madsam--I know I can click on the URL you posted but where is that under the forum?----I'd kinda like to show what I have of what it was like for transportation during Lam Son 719 Operation Dewey Canyon---and I've been posting under VietNam gun trucks and gun trucks of Iraq---------Driver

That was in the 'Conversations' forum. But any where you want.

hardride

LAPD Rescue vehicle 1

Here is the image of the Commando at the LAPD Museum.
Took more images. There is damage to the right front hull that fractured the right fuel tank. I wonder what the building it hit looked like after.

Leaking oil. There is a puddle of it in the bilge. An oil or hydraulic line may have broke. May find out later if I get permission to go inside.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The #2 V-100 is definatley at the ASMH in So. El Monte. It is a runner and is driven frequently....Just was hangin' out with it today! Still LAPD blue and still has the LAPD stencils inside. Driver, Good stuff. I enjor the reading and history you are providing.

Last edited:

V-100 Commando

Good Stuff

Driver- thanks for posting more pictures. Those ARVN never did anything to their Vs- shame, kinda waste of good Vs.

Will- Glad to hear it's there and running. I sent an e-mail to my friend that was the driver to see how the other one got damaged. It takes a while for him to respond- he's now in the movie business and is gone quite a bit. Thanks for the info.
Jeff

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't mean to hijack, here's some pics I took of LAPD 2 at the Museum today...stopped by to get dimensions for a 113 u-joint and thought of this thread.
V-100, when you talk to your friend, see if he knows if the ram pieces for this V-1-00 are still at LAPD and if so, would they mind donating them. It would be a nice thing to ba able to display this as it was for LAPD. The end plate was still in the unit but the tube wasn't in the holder.

Attachments

hardride

Hello Will,

There are two ram poles at the LAPDHS museum. One outside the vehicle and one inside by the back door. There is oil on the rear floor of LAPD Rescue 1.

When you go back to El Monte, could you go up on the back of the V100 and take some pics of the engine compartment with the doors open?

Thanks.
Frank
I got to stop by there 2 Fridays ago and picked up some flyers for our museum in Ventura.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will Do! Do you have pics of the poles, etc. attached to the unit?...in the stowed and deployed would be good. Where is the LAPDHS Museum?

V-100 Commando

Will- Thanks for that info. My buddy is on location shooting a movie with Benito Del Toro I think. So it takes a while to get back to me. I'll ask him about any and all things that might still be at LAPD related to the V-100s and the possibility of getting them. Not sure how long this will take so hang in there. Sorry for the late response but I've been house shopping (with the top priority a large shop with some house there too).
Jeff

sapper141

Hi Jeff
a few of us model builders are having a color issue on the nose art for Catch 22 is the color behind the name gray or and off green?Thanks for the help
Some of us can't have or store the 1/1 scale toys so we make up for it with filling shelves with the little scale stuff.
Seeya Shane

V-100 Commando

Shane- Believe it or not, the background color for Catch 22 is actually light blue. I think the photo picked up some green reflection or has faded over time. Also, our Vs might look a little different from others because we added some black paint to the OD green when we sprayed them. Of course it was never an exact mix- just "that looks good" when we were filling the spray gun cup. Keep building the little ones- it helps keep the story of the V-100 going. Take Care.
Jeff

sapper141

thanks Jeff for the quick answer, yeah the black color on the V100's in Vietnam has been another Question that has running the modelers forums since the V100 kits came on the market recently
Seeya Shane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks