• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turning up Cummins 6CTA8.3

jayjaytocool

tranny

what is the limit on drive train hp? I see it's not hard to go to 400hp id would put on an air to air cooler if i went that far. is this safe for the drive line?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
what is the limit on drive train hp? I see it's not hard to go to 400hp id would put on an air to air cooler if i went that far. is this safe for the drive line?
Unfortunately, the transmission is almost at its limit already. I have seen anywhere from 250 to 270 HP as the max HP limit. The transfer case will be OK so long as you don't try low-range and reverse at the same time. That tends to crack the case.

There are some marine versions of the CTA 8.3 that were rated for 400 HP. The use a air-water charge air cooler so they are not really concerned about EGT's with limitless cool water on hand.

There are a couple of versions of the in-line Bosch pump found on the 8.3L. One is the P7100 like the Dodge 5.9L engines use. The other is the style found on the 8.3L used in our 939A2 trucks. They do not have the cam plate like the P7100 pump.

Injection Pump folks that I have talked to tell me that you can expect to get around 50 HP max from pump adjustment on our 939A2 pumps. Anything more than that would require swapping out delivery valves and going with higher volume injectors.

Seeing that my engine is currently without an IP, I have considered going to a P7100 pump. I will probably end up going with the stock pump though unless I end up swapping out the transmission for an Allison with more HP capacity.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, If you wanna go from the A or MW pump you will need to change the gear housing and pump drive gear, so you would be smart to do it now.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Will. I did not know that would require swapping gear cases. Bummer. Here are some pics of the pump on the CTA 8.3 in the 939A2 trucks along with a pic of the RQV governor from the P7100. What is the actual model designation for this pump? I see the AFC has a star wheel adjustment like the P7100 which will allow more fuel at low boost. That will help get us off the line. I read the rebuild procedure in the TM today and it does not have an interchangeable cam plate like the P7100. There is a rack travel adjustment accessible through a plug in the top of the pump housing. It has a R.Q.V. governor like the P7100, but the housing is different. The governor springs adjustment procedure looks to be identical. The housing in the P7100 allows the AFC to be mounted on top. Removal of the AFC allows access to the adjustable or interchangeable cam plate. The AFC mounts on the rear of the pump used on the 939A2. The pump housing looks identical on both pumps.

Attachments

halftrack

Found the problem. There seems to be a simple bolt/screw adjustment which prevents the throttle linkage from traversing all the way. Looking at my spare, it seems the one on my truck is out a good bet. Just going to turn it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks