Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Split brake system

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russ81 View Post
    I have recently bobbed my deuce, and am looking at installing a break system that is completely hydraulic. I know that Ford uses wet breaks on their F-650's and half of the F-750's. The 850's are all strickly air. With all this in mind, considering the weight, towing capacity, and load capacity of a bobbed deuce, I don't see where there would be much difference between my truck and an F-650/750. So, all this ranting and raving brings me to the point that I'm trying to make. Why do you need the air assist? Isn't this just another system to break down. I know vaccum is an issue with diesels, but there are a lot of ways around that with today's technology.
    Please keep us (me) informed as you move forward on your bobbed Deuces brakes. I don't know about the rest of those out there with bobbers, but with the much larger tires and one less braking axle, mine does not stop near as well as any of my regular deuces. I'd be happy to find a viable brake upgrade.

Don

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HeadWizard For This Useful Post:

Ironclad (05-25-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,282 Times in 4,614 Posts

Memphis Equip has the masters for the -A3. All you would need is the pedal assy as its much different. From there add a second air pack and do the plumbing. You will also need to abscond some type of proportioning valve. Side note, going to the -A3 stuff for this eliminates the spot that the PTO shifter bolts too so that would have to be re-engineered.
    1986 M1008
    1984 M1031
    1984 M1010

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Recovry4x4 View Post
    Side note, going to the -A3 stuff for this eliminates the spot that the PTO shifter bolts too so that would have to be re-engineered.
    One could just engineer up a hydrolic winch setup like an A3 too what fun that would be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Recovry4x4 View Post
    Memphis Equip has the masters for the -A3. All you would need is the pedal assy as its much different. From there add a second air pack and do the plumbing. You will also need to abscond some type of proportioning valve. Side note, going to the -A3 stuff for this eliminates the spot that the PTO shifter bolts too so that would have to be re-engineered.
    Some place on the old sight, there is a thread about this too. I think there is even part numbers or a kit number for Memphis. ( of course I can not find it now )
    Matt
    M543a2 WRECKER
    M105a2 TRAILER
    M1061a2 TRAILER
    MEP 362A GEN SET
    (and more GREEN stuff then the wife thinks I should have)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,755 Posts

Hey Gimp,

I have a '87 M35A2C with the dual MC/Airpack setup. I can take pictures if you would like.

Warthog
    "We are all born ignorant.....but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

dumpsterlandingfromorbit! gimpyrobb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,883 Times in 4,628 Posts

Could you get a shot of the master and the second(pass side) airpack? That would be great.
    Don't worry about the size difference

Thanks
    Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,755 Posts

It will be tommorrow after the"snow showers" pass thru. I like ya but it's too cold outside (38 degrees, I know many others are colder...LOL).

Let me know if you want any other pics.

Warthog
    "We are all born ignorant.....but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

Senior Chief/Moderator hndrsonj's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,093 Posts

Kenny pretty much answered it all. Memphis has the master cylinders (around $250). Problem is they don't have the mounts which are totally different. They also don't have the proportioning valves. AM General is the maker of these parts and will not sell to the general public for liability reasons. I called and tried to order and have the parts sent to my work (US Navy) was a no go without a Govt credit card. Best bet would be to try and find a parts A3 and get parts that way. CSI in Talapoosa had one. I know that they were not sure they were going to try to fix so that may be an option.

Thanks

Note to all that the A3 and the late model (late 80s) A2s have the same braking system (split system) with only minor tweaks.

Note also that the air tanks on the split system are different...two chamber air tanks.

Honestly, this is a complicated retro-fit. If it wasn't, it would be done more often by now. Even the depot rebuilt trucks kept the single system (unless rebuilt into an A3).

I would love to see someone do this swap....but please don't under-estimate how much work and parts it's really going to take.
    Dan Martin
    1988 M35A2C (USAF)
    1945 M29C Weasel
    Hillsboro, OR.
    MVPA# 31124
    MVCCO# 828

We shall not cease from exploration
    and the end of all our exploring
    will be to arrive where we started
    and know the place for the first time
    - T.S. Eliot

Thanks

there has to be a better mousetrap......

even a dual circuit master cylinder with front, and rear chambers would be great

gotta be a truck out there with something compatible....
    1971 AM Genereal M35 W/W hardtop/heater/12v and 24v dual alternators, ir lights, cb, dome light, cig lighters, gps, am/fm cd, mp3 player, ether start kit

Email: tim@wolverinetechnologiesllc.com
    http://www.wolverinetechnologiesllc.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast