• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Classifieds Questions

Mike_Pop

Since this is the place to make suggestions for improvements to the site, I'm posting this here. However most of the time, I find that many suggestions fall on deaf ears when submitted directly instead of in a forum. This is not a rant but legitimate questions about the classifieds:

1. Will the classifieds be broken into sections like the old site? (Separate pages: For sale, Wanted, Free to a good home) Those features really made it easy to look for items on the old site.

2. When someone "commits to buy", the ad disappears and it is no longer available, not even for editing or reposting. Anyone can click on that button but it doesn't force them to follow through on the transaction. It's a problem when someone has multiple items of the same thing for sale and it creates down time for the seller.

3. Another feature on the old site was the location listed for the item. It was on the main page with the list of items. It was super easy to look for things that were local.

4. I see a comment saying that if some of the features are not showing up, then I can subscribe to a premier account. Is there such a thing? Is there a cost?

mangus580

Since this is the place to make suggestions for improvements to the site, I'm posting this here. However most of the time, I find that many suggestions fall on deaf ears when submitted directly instead of in a forum. This is not a rant but legitimate questions about the classifieds:
I have never not answered a direct question you asked me, so I dont know how it falls on deaf ears.....

Let me start by saying I have not done anything with the classifieds other than basic setup right now. I brought them up and made them functional. There is a lot of tweaks and adjustments that need to be done, but minor 'layout' issues aside, its every bit as functional as before. I have set it aside in lieu of other parts that are not functional at all yet, such as the member map, the new TM section etc.

1. Will the classifieds be broken into sections like the old site? (Separate pages: For sale, Wanted, Free to a good home) Those features really made it easy to look for items on the old site.
I am actually slightly confused on this, as it specifically asks you when you set up an ad if its 'for sale' or 'wanted'. It doesnt seem to do anything with the information! It 'might' be the difference of having the 'commit to buy' button available or not. As obviously, you cant buy a wanted item.

2. When someone "commits to buy", the ad disappears and it is no longer available, not even for editing or reposting. Anyone can click on that button but it doesn't force them to follow through on the transaction. It's a problem when someone has multiple items of the same thing for sale and it creates down time for the seller.
I am aware there are some glitches with the commit to buy system. I intend to work them out when I can. As for the multiple items... I dont really intend to put a large deal of effort into that. People selling large qty of the same thing are usually more 'business' oriented, and thats not the goal of the classifieds.

3. Another feature on the old site was the location listed for the item. It was on the main page with the list of items. It was super easy to look for things that were local.
see note above....

4. I see a comment saying that if some of the features are not showing up, then I can subscribe to a premier account. Is there such a thing? Is there a cost?
As of right now there is no 'premier' account for the classified section.

Mike_Pop

I have never not answered a direct question you asked me, so I dont know how it falls on deaf ears.....
Definitely up for debate. You asked for site suggestions and I am providing them. This is the first real response I've ever gotten instead of a blown head gasket.

I am actually slightly confused on this, as it specifically asks you when you set up an ad if its 'for sale' or 'wanted'. It doesnt seem to do anything with the information! It 'might' be the difference of having the 'commit to buy' button available or not. As obviously, you cant buy a wanted item.
Not much to be confused about. Compare the old classified main page site with the new. Although when submitting an ad, the radio buttons ask what type of ad it is, while viewing the classifieds main page, ads are not broken down like the old site. See this page on the old site: http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PN_zClassifieds

Also, while on the main classified page, only the most recent ads are shown without any additional pages. You have to actually click on the "active ads" link. Some people may not see that and think that only the most recent ads are the only ones available.

I am aware there are some glitches with the commit to buy system. I intend to work them out when I can. As for the multiple items... I dont really intend to put a large deal of effort into that. People selling large qty of the same thing are usually more 'business' oriented, and thats not the goal of the classifieds.
Regardless of the quantity, if someone uses the "commit to buy" button, the ad disappears completely and there is no way to reinsert it without rewriting the ad all together. I'm discouraged to post multiple items for sale because of having to constantly resubmit my ads.

see note above....
See old site classified page where the location is listed, making it easy to find local items. http://old.steelsoldiers.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PN_zClassifieds&file=index&cat=1

As of right now there is no 'premier' account for the classified section.
Will there be in the future? If not, why the confusion now?

One other question...
Was the design of the new site made from scratch or from some sort of template? If it is a template, I can understand why there are many features that seem uneccessary. Keeping the members informed and updated would be a HUGE help.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Listening to suggestions is NOT the same as DOING as suggested, and it probably shouldn't be - some grumpy old men like me would suggest some things that would destroy the site in short order probably.

As to one point you raised, you are mistaken - and I was too at first until I looked a little closer. Relisting a "sold" item absolutely couldn't be easier.

When an item sells you get an email from the site that contains a URL to the now hidden "sold" ad. In that email is the URL to the ad. There is a tab at the bottom of the ad that says "list an identical item". Paste the link into your browser, click the "sell
an identical item" tab, and your ad is back alive. If you want to make changes, use the edit button.

HTH,
David

Mike_Pop

David,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not see the link in the email sent to me nor was the link visible at the time my ad was ended. Upon further research, I do see the "submit a similar item" link.

I've found that many features on this site have to be hunted for. The time it takes to find links compared to the old site is much longer and that's not because of it being a different site. It's because the old site didn't have as much going on.

Last edited:

mangus580

What about this page?

ads.jpg

click 'your profile' and it brings this page up, you can toggle through your different types of listings.

Jinx

If I may throw in my 2 cents,

As stated earlier in this thread, it is difficult to find local ads. It would be great if the classified ads would show in the title where the items are located. I'm looking to buy a deuce and check the classifieds daily. It's a pain to have to click each vehicle's listing to find out where a vehicle is located. I won't even consider purchasing a truck on the east coast since shipping that distance is not a viable option. Browsing the for sale section would be much easier if I knew where the vehicle is located before I ever click on the ad.

Mike_Pop

Jinx,

I asked that question above but apparantly, it's too confusing for the programmer of this site.

The old site had categories of items for sale, wanted, and free to a good home. The old site also had the location listed on the title of the ad. My guess is that it makes too much sense to keep things the same and make it easy for the users.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Mike_Pop
4 Star General
Mike_Pop's Profile Fields

"I asked that question above but apparantly, it's too confusing for the programmer of this site. "

"The old site also had the location listed "

So Mike how would you think a location should be listed, So as not to be confusing?

" Location: 39°30'47.75"N 115°57'43.58"W "
:roll:

But I do agree.. Location, Buy, Sell, Trade.. price and item should be in Title.
J.P.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks