• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy in California

PantherJeep

Hello all!

I just found this site today, as I've been looking for information on acquiring, registering & operating an M35A2 or similar in California as a tow rig (would love to fab some ramps and carry my Jeep on the back :-D) and occasional off-roader. I've always loved Deuces (spent a lot of time on Camp Pendleton when my dad was in the Marine Corps), and I'm finally at a point where getting into one as a recreational-use vehicle is reasonably plausible.

I've been grazing the site a little this morning, and so far I've learned that I'd need a Commercial Class-B license with air brake endorsement. That was somewhat unexpected, and something I'll need to research in terms of what's involved in actually getting that.

And while I definitely plan on spending plenty of "quality time" with the Search Button, what are some common 'newbie' mistakes people should avoid making when first getting interested/started with Deuces and MV's in general?

Thanks, and I look forward to learning more about the fascinating MV hobby!
:)

-Brian

bigelk50

Welcome Brian. The best advice that I can give you is to do lots of research. Find a truck that is in your price range and your mechanical ability range. You will need some tools and a place to work on it. I have owned a deuce for a few months now and have already put more money into getting it to where I feel comfortable taking it on a long trip. Might have to get snow chains though! Haha Good luck in finding a deuce! Any questions just ask!

PantherJeep

Well, I've found one on GL in Barstow and one on eBay in Irvine in my price range, but I'm not comfortable enough knowledge-wise to know what to look for on these beasts - YET - to know how deep the hole goes on the vehicles in question...

But tools are no problem - I have a reasonably good stock of both manual and pneumatic tools, though I'm sure there are some I'll need that I don't yet have. Not a major consideration there I think. And the only mechanical work I'm not comfortable doing is body work and axle gear setup.

The only real issue I have is space - I don't think the HOA will let me park a Deuce in my yard...! ;) Fortunately I have a number of RV storage facilities nearby that I would keep one at, and just work on it on the weekends at home.

At least, that's the plan I'm currently going with when the right vehicle comes along...

Thanks for the welcome and advice Reuben! :-D

bigelk50

Your welcome! basic things to look at are: hours, mileage, tires, rust. If one comes with a top, bows, troop seats or racks. If you have good enough pics you can look closely for any leaks. (engine and drive train) I hope this helps

Not sure what the end result pricewise with the Ebay one. It will definately take some of the headaches away to start if you buy from a private party.

Historic vehicle, etc. Not hard to do if you know how. You will find that you will have to tell the DMV what and how to make things happen with these. Get to know the code etc and you will be much better off. If you tell them what they have to do, generally they will do it, many times they are clueless.

There are quite a few owners in So Cal that may pop in on this thead, I am way north of you. Salton Sea, Terra Del Sol, Im sure you know that area if you are an avid off-roader.

Class B, Most likely you will need it if you plan on putting the jeep on the back. I guess you could dell the CHP....It is a jeep...a modified M38:wink:.

DanMartin

Welcome Panther! This is *the* place to be if you have a deuce. Search the forums for any info you need...it's probably there already.

Make sure you post some pics of that truck when you get it.

Good luck on getting one and with that commercial endorsement.

bigelk50

Very true about the DMV. I did have to jump through some hoops and tell them what to do (only cause they do not deal with these things much) all in all it was not that bad. I am glad i do not have to register one on Cali though.

hole

Welcome Brian! The Deuce that Reuben highlighted belongs to one of our very own's brother. While I dont know the brother or the truck, Tyler is a very straight forward and honest and I'm sure he would give you all info he has ( good or bad ) Keep an eye out in the next month or so for a So Cal desert thread as we will be disscussing our spring trip to the desert. Your more than welcome to join us whether you have a truck or not. If you go the GL rout , make sure you do a preview to know what your truley buying. I got mine from GL Barstow and preview helped alot . There was 5 trucks to look at but only 1 was " turn key " thats the one I bid on because I didnt want or have the time for a project. I'd seriusly take a look at Tylers brothers truck ! Good luck !

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought that might be Tylers Bro selling that. Hole is correct, Tyler is a gerat guy and I know he has been saying he wanted to get this truck gone since his bro had no time for it and Tyler has his gasser. I'd jump on it. Also, Tyler can give you some pointers on it. I forget his name here though.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian,

First of all, what ever you do, DON'T move to Tacoma Washington...:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Second, Tyler is a great guy and a very honest guy. His price is good but you should expect to do some fixin'. Don't let that scare ya! That's half the fun.

You're in good hands on this site and in and around your area. The San Diego MVCC is a knowledgeable bunch as well as the IEMVCC. I've yet to meet better folks. If I knew that truck looked that good, i'd have bought it when I was still in the area.

ems4ty

What's up ladies and gents????? Just found this thread. Good to know that people are talking good behind my back, HAHA....

Anyways, the truck (As previously linked to earlier in this thread) sold to a dead beat bidder in OHIO! Guess that guy could not read english all that well and didn't realize that he had to find a way to get it back there. Go Figure.

Anyways, we are trying to determine if it's going to be relisted or if the locals here want a shot at it off of ebay and save some $$$ on the fees.

I sent Pantherjeep a PM in regards to the contact info for my brother, (Whose name is also "BrYan" (He spells it the wrong way.... (Guess it depends on whose side of the fence your on HAHA...)) Anyways, talk to you all later.

Take care, I'm not out of the MV thing just yet my fellow commrades...

-Tyler :-D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks